PDA

View Full Version : Myotonine

gail
15-02-2010, 08:28 PM
hi all imnew to this site but im trying to find where i can get myotonine bethanecol 10mg formy cat the vets have tried everywhere we have please hope anyone can help otherwise its not looking good for the cat

calismum
15-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry can't help. Hope you find a supplier soon. Is there no other like medication the vet can use?

gail
15-02-2010, 09:28 PM
no the vet said there is no alternative, its not looking good at all,i cannot think of anythink else at all

angieh
15-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi gail - you may have already tried this laboratory (http://emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/10891/SPC/Myotonine+10+mg+%28Bethanechol+Chloride%29/) - I did see something on another site where it said that the product was discontinued, but that might just have been that specific package.

Good Luck.

calismum
15-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Done a quick search and myotonine seems to be a trade name?

If you search for just bethanecol 10mg a few different sites come up. Particularly Duvoid. I have no idea if it would be an acceptable alternative for your vet to consider.

dandysmom
15-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi, Gail; found this site. You or your vet might want to give it a look. Good luck!

http://apcalis-apin.com/en-prices-Myotonine.php

gail
15-02-2010, 10:50 PM
hi all thank you so much i will be trying all these sites as soons as they open tomorrow with the phone numbers xx

James
17-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Hi Gail,

I am sure you will find what you need at the URLs provided, but what puzzles me is why your vet doesn't have this information? The pharmaceutical companies tend to go overboard with information and updates on their products rather than leave medics/vets or people like yourself to chase up the news of where a drug has been discontinued or replaced with an alternative. Bethanechol (commercial name Myotonine) is also available for humans. I am assuming that your cat is suffering from urine retention problems - if so has the vet suggested that he/she drain off the urine (i.e catheterisation)?

Glenwood Laboratories in Kent (01634 830 535) should be able to update you on availability). I am a human medic. not a vet but the principle action of the drug is the same. For cats, the typical dosage is probably 2.5 to 5 mg per cat two to three times per day. Make sure that you do tell the vet if our cat is on any other type of medication (although an experienced vet will probably ask you).

gail
17-02-2010, 01:03 PM
thanks for your reply james, weve tried every where its a problem with the suppliers and there is no alternative treatment, im afraid we are going to have to have the cat put to sleep on friday 21st february, we need a miracle now, we will miss her so much, thank you everyone for trying to help it is much appreciated xx

dandysmom
17-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Oh Gail, so very sorry to hear this ......

angieh
17-02-2010, 04:59 PM
So sorry to hear this Gail. That is a real shame.

James
17-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Gail
Perhaps this reply is irrelevant because I am unaware of all the details, but your vet's prognosis has me confused. If the problem is related to retention of urine the first step that would be taken (in addition to anti-biotics) is either compression to release some of the urine build up or if this is not possible (say in the case of bladder stones) then a catheter would be the alternative way to drain the bladder. Has this been attempted?

Bethanechol was originally developed for human treatment only (this is how I know about it) and was then found to be effective with dogs and cats, especially in relation to urinary problems. This medication is still currently in use for humans marketed under the name of Myotonine - a human preparation of bethanechol chloride and obtainable from a human pharmacy. This prescription only drug is available with a written veterinary prescription which would allow you to pick it up from a pharmacy in your area. The tablets are either 10mg or 25mg so these will need to be split accurately for your cat's weight - your vet should be able to advise you on this.

An alternative to Bethanechol is to use smooth muscle relaxants such as hypovase (prazosin) or dibenyline to help urine flow through a spasmed urethra, so these might be worth a try too. They are particularly good in those cats that have had a urinary catheter removed and need to maintain a good urine flow through the inflamed and sore urethra. I would suggest you have a word with your vet about these too.

gail
19-02-2010, 03:47 PM
hi everyone i would just like to say a very big thank you for all your help and support, unfortunately it was too late to save annie as her injury had taken over and she was put to sleep at 9.15 this morning, it is such a sad day, but we all did our best for her... R.I.P. Annie you will be missed forever xxxxx we love you

Aquatic
19-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I am so sorry about your loss xxx
R.I.P. Annie xxx

dandysmom
19-02-2010, 04:42 PM
So sorry, Gail; RIP Annie, play at the Bridge .....

Kay
19-02-2010, 04:50 PM
R.I.P Annie free from all restraints.

{{{HUGS}}} to you Gail. xx

broox159
19-02-2010, 05:41 PM
R.I.P Annie

I am so sorry for your loss Gail, :cry:

Shelley123
19-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Very sorry for the loss of Annie

gail
19-02-2010, 06:56 PM
thank you so much every one annie will be missed very much, love to you all:(

angieh
19-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this gail. RIP annie - free from suffering now. Play happily little girl.

Mags
19-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss...

RIP Annie.....x

gail
19-02-2010, 11:49 PM
thank you for your kind words x

Moli
19-02-2010, 11:50 PM
So sorry to read this...
Run Free little girl...xx