PDA

View Full Version : I need your help!

Aquatic
15-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I really want to get another cat to keep Felix company and I think it would be really nice to have two cats around the house instead of one.
But I'm not sure what Felix would be like with another cat around the house because he is the centre of the attention at the moment. I have never owned two cats at the same time.
Felix loves playing with my dog and he is very caring.
I have wanted another cat since we had Felix but just left it for a bit to let Felix settle in.
Do you think I should get another cat?

alexgirl73
15-02-2010, 01:47 PM
How old is Felix? Usually a male cat will accept a kitten with no problems, well that is my experience anyway lol. As long as you handle the intro's ok, and are prepared for a bit of hissy spitting at first, then I would say it would be ok :)

Aquatic
15-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Felix is about 6 months now.and should I get a female or male?
Sorry for all these questions :D

yola
15-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Personally, I would get another male. Alex is right, as long as you carefully manage the introductions over the first few days there should be no problem barring a bit of posturing. Felix is still young enough to accept another youngster.

My 2 oldies were shocked when I brought in a year old character, but now, almost 2 years later they are all resigned to co-existing.

angieh
15-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I am sure Felix would love a little playmate!

I adopted Kizzy last April and she was estimated to be between 1 and 2 years. She settled in and had "established routines" before I brought Pip home towards the end of August. He was 9 weeks old. He seemed very small to me and I was worried about his safety, especially at night, so he had a comfy crate to sleep in. It did take a while for the two to accept each other and then bond. We didn't have any aggression though. At one point I did really wonder whether we had done the best for Kizzy - but now 5 months on, they are nearly always together, they rough and play, and groom each other and snooze together. Kizzy has come out of her shell (I wondered if she was depressed), she now has plenty of exercise and has learned to play and enjoy being a young cat.

I'd go for it if I were you. Hopefully it will turn out to be the best thing for Felix. There's few things nicer than watching two cats playing together - great for human smiling exercise!

Edited to say: Kizzy is female and Pip male - both neutered of course.

Aquatic
15-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Just decided we are going to get Felix a playmate :D I am really excited. I have been looking on ad trader and free ads for kittens but have not had much luck so we will keep looking. I have also been on the RSPCA site and this really gorgeous kitten called belle but she was 50 miles away!!! So we are going to keep looking and hopefully we will have a new member of the family in a week or so.
I'm so excited!!!:D

angieh
15-02-2010, 03:45 PM
You could always ask at your vet practice if they know of any kittens needing homes. A good place to start. I'd try to steer clear of the ads in the papers. Do you have a local Cats Protection branch?

Aquatic
15-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I never thought of asking the vet my mum's friend is a vet that's where we got the cat we had before Felix from.I just checked and we do have a local cat protection branch near us.
can't wait now :D

angieh
15-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Good luck! Please let us know when you find a new little friend.

Shelley123
15-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Good luck, how exciting. In the past i have had 4 Cats at once, fireworks at first, but once things settled down they were fine. They sorted out the pecking order themselves.
Interestingly as one Cat died another would rise to take the place of top cat. The last one had to wait a long time ;)

dandysmom
15-02-2010, 05:36 PM
How exciting for you; hope you can find a a kitten thru CP! I don't think the sex matters especially; I find males are more affectionate, but after some initial hissing and spitting they should get along and bond. And as Angie said, it is so much fun to watch them playing and sleeping together. Good luck!

Elaine
15-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Please dont go getting/buying a kitten through free ads etc, it only encourages indiscriminate and poor breeding practices.
My personal experience has been that male cats are much more accepting than females.
Please go to CP, RSPCA or any small independant rescues in your area.
All the very best, it's exciting getting a new pet. xxx

calismum
15-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Great news, hope you are lucky and find that playmate soon.

CP/RSPCA/Vets all good places to start. In the past I've introduced almost any combination you can think of and I do think in the main, males are a bit more accepting.

Good luck.

kado
15-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Its lovely that you are going to get a playmate for you kitten. I think its a good idea getting a male as females tend to be very bossy when they come too a established cat home. I did buy my first cat kado of the net and troy and chester but i wouldnt again. Kado had an eye infection and i had too take him too the vets the next day. With that and neutering/injections it cost me well over £150. Dont get me wrong but you might get an A! kitten straight away but if you go to a rescue at least they would have been health checked. Can we have pics when you get one