PDA

View Full Version : K's health status

Pages : [1] 2

Tink
11-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Update on K:
He has just agreed to surgery after a good talk with the surgeon.
They are trying to get him in ASAP, the valve needs to be completely removed and replaced. Could be possiblly as early as tomorrow, we are waiting for confirmation from scheduling.
He is of course very discouraged but I'm proud he's ready to fight. They are doing some last minute scans and then I imagine will begin prepping him for surgery. A hurry up and wait kind of thing.
Thank you for all your thoughts. Will update when I can. For now, I am just keeping him company here at the hospital and making sure they give him his mellowing medication so he doesn't go and change his mind!

smudgley
11-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Thinking of you both as always. You have had a rough time recently. xx

Shelley123
11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Wishing you and K the very best. Take care

Mags
11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Good news that K has agreed to surgery, I hope all goes well for him, Tink.

Thinking of you both ...((((hugs))))

alexgirl73
11-02-2010, 11:24 PM
So glad he has agreed to the surgery :) Will pray for you both, and keep you in my thoughts xxx

dandysmom
11-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Thank God he's agreed to the surgery; the alternative was horrible. But it took guts for him to decide to go thru that again after the really terrible time he had. I do pray it won't be as traumatic for him this time and that you'll have him home and well again. Lots of (((hugs)))

kado
11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Wishing you and K the very best. Take care

jane x

Moli
12-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Best wishes to you both...Thought with you...x

Tink
12-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Well you know it is bad when one of the best cardiac surgeons in the country tells you it'll be a miracle if he survives tomorrow's surgery and he's never done anything this extensive before.
To sum it up--
1) The surgery will be MINIMUM 12 hours IF it all goes "smoothly"
2) They are going to scoop out the sick/dead parts of his heart that resemble raw ground meat and then get human and pig parts and try to put it all back together again and see if it'll function..which is a big MAYBE
3)his metal plate holding his sternum together will be removed because it will attract infection as well with this immune disease he has and so they won't be able to close him up..and plastic surgery might have to figure out skin grafts so he's not open to the world
4)he'll never work again
5)he'll be in intensive care for at least a month
6)oh and that staph infection last summer around his heart where we opened him up and kept him open and you could see his insides move around with each breath? where he was screaming in agony and you could literally see his guts being held in with saran wrap? well that was NOTHING compared to what's in store...IF he lives.

i feel like my hearts been ripped out and handed to me.

Tink
12-02-2010, 08:01 AM
his options were slow agonizing death or high risk surgery and at least die trying if he doesn't pull through. this is his last hope.
i keep wondering if i kissed him goodbye for the last time tonight. i broke down and told him to please don't leave me and fight. he was just silent with pain in his eyes. i wish he would have said something back.

Tink
12-02-2010, 08:04 AM
oh and they canceled all cardiac surgeries tomorrow and rescheduled them. they've blocked off a whole day to work on him. several surgeons with doctors/pas assisting. the whole lot.

Mags
12-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm so sorry the news is bad Tink, I can't begin to imagine what you are going through right now.

We will be praying that K pulls through this, massive loads of healing vibes go out to him ........ he is a strong man and I'm sure he will fight his way through this for you.

You too are a fighter and therefore need all the strength you can muster to support him through this difficult time.

Take care, love to you both...xx

MrsH
12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Hoping and praying for you and K through all this. (((((HUGS)))))

Kazz
12-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I have no idea what to say other than my thoughts and prayers are with you both. Take care of yourself and I am glad K is being positive. Stay well.

angieh
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Prayers for you both Tink. XXXX

yola
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Tink, my blood is running cold reading your posts. No idea what to say except much love to you, and all the strength in the world to you both. I hope our words offer some comfort in the huge hurdle that faces you both.

Shelley123
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Tink,
i don't know what to say except i hope everything goes well for K and he pulls through.

pookyandjo
12-02-2010, 03:12 PM
like everyone else Tink... im keeping you guys in my thoughts... its very important that you stay positive.. its hard to do when things are so serious... but for K's and your sake (and sanity) you have to really concentrate on that..because of the time difference here... im online when you should be sleeping... if you want my email address PM me and i'll send it to you... and we can chat if you feel like you need to vent..
take care xoxo

dandysmom
12-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh Tink, no words to say how I feel for you both; prayers still coming.

HappyKatz
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh my that is quite the situation with K's health...
We will hope & pray that he comes out of the surgery okay *crossing fingers & paws*
Unlimited stay stong vibes & well wishes :smt049

Tink
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
his stepdad dropped off his truck at our house. all the animals heard his truck pull into the driveway and thought he might be home and waited at the door for hours.
his mom went in person to talk to his work.
i'm kind of in a painful haze right now.
here's the tracker
http://www.peacehealth.org/apps/smartrack/view.asp?fac_mnc=SJH
douglas is the surgeon..leone is his partner. both top cardiac surgeons. the fact that they are both working on him speaks volumes.
they told me to take that metal plate out you can't just saw through or pull pins. they have to tunnel into the tissue below it to remove. it's like he's getting gutted.

calismum
12-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Tink - I just have no idea how to offer you support with this situation. I cannot imagine how you must feel just now.

I hope things go well for K. Please keep us updated.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both (((hugs)))

Tink
12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
it's just so hard because even if he lives he's going to be in massive amounts of pain and the last time they did this with an infection i could hardly stand listening to his screams. knowing it's going to be worse...terrifies me. and that's the best case scenario.

Kazz
12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
No words at all just look after yourself.

smudgley
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I can only echo what Karen has said...

I want to give you a big hug. x

dandysmom
12-02-2010, 09:19 PM
No words here either, just (((hugs))) and prayers.

alexgirl73
12-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Tink I have no idea really what to say to you. All I can do is pray for both K and yourself. I so wish I was able to comfort you in some physical way, but as I can't please know I am thinking of you both. xxxxx

tilly
13-02-2010, 12:33 AM
I have been following this thread with baited breathe and everything crossed in hope the K gets through and this OK.

Have a big hug from all here.

Tilly

Moli
13-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Thoughs and prayers with you both......xx

Sweet
13-02-2010, 01:05 AM
With love and thoughts x x x

Tink
13-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Update--The graft is in and he is off the heart and lung machine which means major part of surgery is done..around two more hours in surgery to go.

kado
13-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Were all here for you Tink. Keep strong for K

Tink
13-02-2010, 02:17 AM
that was terrifying they said they wouldn't call unless it was bad news till they were done and they said the surgeon needed to talk to me and put me on hold and i was gripping the table till my knuckles were white shaking like a leaf and then they tell me and i think i'm going to go throw up now.

dandysmom
13-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Everyone's thinking of you and sending good vibes ... stay strong, Tink. I honestly don't know how you manage to stay sane; hang in there ......XXXX

James
13-02-2010, 02:54 AM
I am one of the members in the UK and it is the early hours of the morning. I am here thinking about both of you along with other members of this forum. You are not forgotten.

Tink
13-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Thank you so much *bawls*

James
13-02-2010, 04:05 AM
I am still awake and will be for a wee while longer Tink, sending thoughts across the pond to you and yours. Everyone here loves cats and we also love those who love cats :)

Tink
13-02-2010, 04:16 AM
he is out of surgery, surgeon speaking with his mom now, they are going to call me back...

James
13-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Still here, still thinking about you Tink with fingers crossed.

Tink
13-02-2010, 04:33 AM
UPDATE--Surgery went amazingly well...a smashing success! Even the surgeon said God was looking out for him, the way he survived amazed even him. Thank you all for your prayers!!!! ♥

James
13-02-2010, 04:42 AM
FANTASTIC Tink!!! I am so pleased for you all. May all the days to come carry the echoes of todays' success. I am so impressed by you and K's courage and the support shown by the wonderful folk on this forum. God Bless - I can now go to bed :) Catch up with you tomorrow.

Tink
13-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Good night :D Thanks for staying with me!!

Elaine
13-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Dear lord, I didnt know K was so unwell, I am pleased to hear that everything went well with the surgery.
All the very best to you both xxx

yola
13-02-2010, 10:01 AM
First thing I did this morning was check this thread.

Tink - reading your post is SUCH a relief.

MrsH
13-02-2010, 11:02 AM
What great news! prayers for a good recovery for K.

Mags
13-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Wonderful news that the op went well Tink, I'm so pleased for you and K.

Thanks you James for staying with Tink throughout the night and giving her encouragement and support.... that must have helped her a lot.

alexgirl73
13-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm with Yola, first thing I did was check this thread :) So very, very pleased that he has come through the surgery so well. Praying now for a speedy and problem free recovery xxxx

Kazz
13-02-2010, 11:56 AM
So pleased it appears to to have gone well. Take care

Shelley123
13-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Wonderful news Tink, i am so pleased for you both. Miracles can happen, now just take each day at a time, little steps.
Great that James was able to chat to you on the forum, these forums are something special.
Off out for the day now but thinking of you both.

angieh
13-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I am so relieved to read this news Tink. Lots of positive healing vibes now for K and more ((((HUGS)))) for you.

Moli
13-02-2010, 04:16 PM
So pleased it all gone well.....xx

dandysmom
13-02-2010, 05:17 PM
That is such good, good news; been so worried about you both. James, thank you so much for being there for Tink; I'm sure it was a great help. xxxxx

calismum
13-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Pleased that the surgery has gone well. Good news that the surgeons were so positive about it.

Continue to pray for a good recovery. (((hugs)))

pinklizzy
13-02-2010, 09:44 PM
So glad it went well Tink, hugs to you both and speedy recovery thoughts coming your way xxxx

random
13-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Praying for you both Tink. you take care x

Sweet
13-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Thank God x

Tink
13-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys :-)
Apparently his heart started right back up without assistance. Dr. Douglas said they did amazing things to his body and he doesn't know if it was God or just his will to live or just that he is stubborn as a mule but he was amazed it was like his body was ready to go and get out of that OR, i'm just fine, what's next? lol
Dr. NEVER imagined this good of an outcome. And thank you to the person who donated their body parts. It's saved his life.
They were also able to save his sternum (which they weren't planning on!!!). There 's a ton of wire going through it but they actually were able to close him up! He's in one piece! You don't know how much that relieves me. Last time was a nightmare. I never knew you could take for granted your loved one being in one piece but now I am grateful for things like that!
I got the first good nights sleep in weeks. I will be visiting him soon but have decided only for a few hours. No more sleeping and living at the hospital. I need to take this next month and really recharge my spirit as well.
Thanks again to you all. Lots of love that I cannot even express.

angieh
13-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I am so pleased to hear this news Tink. Prayers and positive vibes that K's recovery will go as well. Take care of yourself and (((((HUGS))))) from over the Pond to you from me.

random
13-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Oh Tink I am so pleased, I have never stopped praying for you both since his first surgery, i'm so glad to hear this and that things are looking up. x

Kazz
13-02-2010, 10:16 PM
You have to tell the Doctor a little like the film "A Wonderful Life" where all the people in the town prayed for George....this time the prayers went up for K......both sides of the pond and beyond.

I am so pleased to read the good news though, and yes recharge your batteries....you need it.

calismum
13-02-2010, 10:25 PM
You couldn't have wished for more. Look after yourself. ((hugs))

dandysmom
13-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Wonderful news, bless those dedicated doctors who did that amazing surgery, and yes, the donees too. K is a strong man, and I'm praying now for a good recovery. Take care, you must be physically and emotionally worn out. XXX

alexgirl73
13-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Absolutely wonderful news :D ((hugs))

yola
13-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Bless you both. It's amazing the strength we 'little humans' can muster when we absolutely must.

James
13-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Wonderful news that the op went well Tink, I'm so pleased for you and K.

Thanks you James for staying with Tink throughout the night and giving her encouragement and support.... that must have helped her a lot.

Ah well. you see, I was on-call (the medical term for insomnia :shock: ) so instead of cat-napping on my pager, I thought it more useful if I supported Tink :D

kado
14-02-2010, 12:07 AM
That's brilliant news Tink. I also think James was brilliant for staying up with Tink.

James
14-02-2010, 12:08 AM
I got the first good nights sleep in weeks. I will be visiting him soon but have decided only for a few hours. No more sleeping and living at the hospital. I need to take this next month and really recharge my spirit as well.
Thanks again to you all. Lots of love that I cannot even express.

Tink, you are a rock and K is truly a tough cookie :) I am aware of the tremendous ordeal his body will have endured, just with the surgery alone. I am impressed that they manged to spare his sternum. The great thing is, when surgeons are so good, they renew one's faith in the medical profession, which so often has been devalued by the poor medics who would have been better employed selling ice cream.

You now deserve a rest for both body and mind and you will be able to rest more easily knowing that K (with a little help from his friends) has done so well :D

Shelley123
14-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Sending you both very best wishes from the UK. Hopefuly Tink you will be able to rest a bit and recharge your batteries, as you realise it's vital to look after yourself.

Tink
14-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Ah well. you see, I was on-call (the medical term for insomnia :shock: ) so instead of cat-napping on my pager, I thought it more useful if I supported Tink :D

It was most appreciated--truly!!:D
I came back from a brief visit (a little over two hours) and he looks AMAZING. Better than even the initial surgeries that were supposed to be routine and nothing out of the ordinary...this against all odds outcome has changed so much. He is positively glowing.
Of course it is still a long road to recovery but now that I have perspective of truly horrific circumstances (last year's ordeal), this is such a surprising relief. Even his spirits seem good. I am just so pleased.
And limiting myself and putting myself first for a change has made a tremendous difference. I feel much more balanced at home and better able to take care of everyone here and the house itself.
Best day ever. :D

angieh
14-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Attagirl! Great news Tink. More ((((HUGS)))) from me and comforting purrrrs from Kizzy and Pip for you and K.

pookyandjo
14-02-2010, 10:57 AM
glad things are going well with K Tink and hope they continue to do so...good too that you are looking after yourself AND feeling the benefit of doing so! keep up the good work!
sending lots of healing and calming vibes from across the pond... and a superior look from George and MEOWWWWWWWWWW from HRH!! :)

calismum
14-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Pleased to hear he is doing so well. I think you are very wise remembering you need to give yourself some time too. You will reap the benefit when he looks to you for support.

(((hugs)))

Shelley123
14-02-2010, 05:00 PM
just checking in and glad things are going so well.

Tink
14-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you all so much for your thoughts/vibes/prayers. I really believe they've helped so much. Friday was truly a miracle and even his non believer mom and stepdad are now believers that prayer helps.
Apparently I've heard today the tough stuff starts. They're weaning him off the morphine and making him cough the gunk out which of course hurts when your chest has just gone through such trauma.
Off to get ready to visit him.

yola
14-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Please tell K that we continue to think of him and that he's to be a model patient and do exactly what the doctors tell him to!

dandysmom
14-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I echo Yola!

alexgirl73
15-02-2010, 12:28 AM
and my voice is added to Yolas and Eileens :D xx

Tink
15-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Hehe..today was pretty nice. I brought him a V-day balloon, silly stuffed elephant, and a sappy card. He's physically uncomfortable but even managed to crack a joke or two so I see a light shining at the end of the tunnel here :D

Elaine
15-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Aw that's nice, keep your chin up and dont worry too much about the ex. xxx

angieh
15-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Prayers and positive vibes still being sent from here for K's recovery. The news is so positive, things sound very hopeful.

Shelley123
15-02-2010, 11:48 AM
So pleased things are going well :)

calismum
15-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear things are going in the right direction. COntinue to hold you both in my thoughts for the day.

CM xx

HappyKatz
15-02-2010, 08:21 PM
I am very happy to hear that K's surgery went well :)
I know I prayed for him to get through it :smt049
I will continue to send get well & stay strong vibes to you both...

Tink
16-02-2010, 03:50 AM
he's been transferred from ICU to Cardiac Ward which is great. He likes his room much better and got a bunch of tubes removed today. The had him do some laps with a walker and he just looks great compared to the other recoveries. I don't want to jinx anything *knocks on wood* but this time it feels really positive for him. he's also in pretty darned good spirits if you ask me, considering all he's been through.
he's still pretty tired so i kissed him goodnight and headed home so he could rest. thanks all for your continued thoughts.
-tink

dandysmom
16-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Oh that does so so much better than the last time! What good news; you both are still in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and get some rest. Tink. xxx

Tink
16-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks, hun :D

alexgirl73
16-02-2010, 09:01 AM
so very pleased to read that Tink :D ((hugs)) to you both xx

smudgley
16-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Excellent to hear things are progressing well.

yola
16-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Wonderful news. May K continue to improve.

Kazz
16-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Glad everything is going okay...

angieh
16-02-2010, 10:59 AM
That sounds so much better for K's recovery - up and walking! What great news. Continued positive healing vibes from here.

Mags
16-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Wonderful news Tink, I hope the improvements continues.....

Moli
16-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Its wonderful to hear how well K is doing....

MrsH
16-02-2010, 02:14 PM
He's doing really well and it sounds as though he's being really positive too!

pinklizzy
16-02-2010, 02:41 PM
So glad the surgery went well, been thinking of you both Tink
xxx

Shelley123
16-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Fabulous news :)

dandysmom
16-02-2010, 05:23 PM
How is he today, Tink?

Kazz
16-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Hope the good news continues.....today

calismum
16-02-2010, 09:59 PM
What great progres sin such a short time. SOunds so much better than last time. Hope things continue in the right direction.

Tink
17-02-2010, 04:15 AM
more progress. he walked today without a walker (used the IV stand for support) and was able to go to the bathroom by himself. they are starting him on some IV meds and taking another tube out tonight.