PDA

View Full Version : Minnies been to vets

jacks
11-02-2010, 09:33 PM
It all began at the beginning of December when Minnie was diagnosed with having thyroid problems.The vet put her on tablets,one a day.Oh boy did things get worse.After 2 weeks of being on tablets she started being sick everywhere and constantly scratching herself.Straight back up the vets we went and it turns out shes having a reaction to the tablets.So there was only one other option the vet said,to operate.So Dec 18th Minnie had her thyroid removed.Every thing went well.
We have just been to the vets for a check up.Shes put on weight and the vet done another blood test.
They just rang me to tell me that there problems with her kidneys.The enzymes are slowly creeping up.So i have to go and pick some tablets up for her and to try her on some special food.(i know shes not going to like)

Feeling abit sad at the moment.Shes such a dear little girl.Cant bare the thought of her being ill.:cry:

farthing
11-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I am in the same situation with Samson. However one of my vets, who did a special course on thyroid problems, told me that a hyperthyroid can mask a kidney condition, the condition is there but doesn't show up in the bloods due to the increased metabolism due to the thyroid problem. So in a way, it is good because it has now been highlighted and you know to deal with it, whereas it was there before, you just didn't know it.
Don't be surprised if your vet isn't aware of this, even some of my other vets didn't know about it, BUT THEY DO KNOW!

angieh
11-02-2010, 10:52 PM
So sorry to hear about Minnie's health problems jacks. I hope that her condition stabilises with the new meds and she feels better. Do let us know how she gets on.

Shelley123
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear about Minnie's kidney problem, as farthing has said kidney problems can be masked by a thyroid problem , so at least now she can get treatment. Keep us posted as to how she's doing.

dandysmom
11-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Oh I.m sorry to hear your girl has been having the problems; hope the new medication will be helpful. Give her a tickle from me and do let us know how she's doing.

jacks
12-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Thankyou for all your kind words.

Went to pick up tablets today for Minnie.Shes on Fortekor.1 tablet a day.The vet also left me some free samples of special food for Minnie to try.So far shes taken the tablet wrapped in tuna and eaten a bowl of the food.Fingers crossed this continues.We have to go back in a month.

Will keep you all informed. XXX

dandysmom
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Good that she's not finicky about the food! And that you could pill her.

Elaine
12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi Jacks, sorry to read about Minnie and i hope the fortekor helps to stabalise the condition. Many cats will take the fortekor straight from your hand, My Winston never refused it.

James
12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Healing hugs to Minnie - she (and you) have travelled a distressing path, but now that the underlying cause(s) are being identified they can be dealt with.
Great news that she is taking meds and eating without fuss.