PDA

View Full Version : Edward will be joining us tomorrow.

farthing
02-02-2010, 08:09 PM
We have a new cockerel joining us tomorrow, called edward. He is a black pekin and sounds lovely. He has to be rehomed because he was meant to be a girl, he was called Abigail. His owner is not allowed to have cockerels after an agreement with her neighbours, so he needed a new home. We will put him in with Buffy and Silvy, our 2 pekin girls, who came with a hen house we bought. Garcon, who is in with them at the moment, but a bit big, will join the slightly bigger girls. I hope they are all OK with the changes, but I think it is best.

We lost 4 out of 5 cockerels this last year, so will now take in a couple more to give them a chance of a happy life, nobody wants cockerels because of the noise, but we quite like it and the neighbours haven't complained yet.

angieh
02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
IMO it is much nicer to wake up in the morning to a cockerel calling than an alarm clock. We noticed it when we moved here about 15 years ago as our next door neighbours had a bantam cockerel. Took a while to get used to it, but much prefer it now.

dandysmom
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Welcome, Edward! Pics would be nice.

I had a pet chicken when I was a child who turned out to be a cockerel (quite illegally, we didn't know then it was against the law); we found out to my mom's enbarassment when a police officer showed up at the door because a neighbor had complained about the crowing! I rather liked it myself.

Shelley123
02-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Hope Edward settles in nicely with his ladies. Please post some pics when you can.

Kazz
02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Thats a good name for a cockerel..hope he settles in well. I imagine that lots of people need to rehome cockerels due to the noise thing. You will be overrun.

smudgley
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Well done for giving him a chance. It's a very sad situation with cockerels. I currently have lots of eggs incubating and will be faced with decisions over the boys when the time comes. :(

farthing
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Thats a good name for a cockerel..hope he settles in well. I imagine that lots of people need to rehome cockerels due to the noise thing. You will be overrun.

Thats the problem, you can only have so many because they will fight and the hens can get injured with lots of males looking for love, so it becomes a welfare issue. We will hopefully get some ex commercial hens and a couple of unwanted cockerels in the spring, once we move the ducks into their new accomodation.

farthing
04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
meet Edward-

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/chickens/458.jpg

angieh
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
What a super looking boy! Hope he settles in well farthing.

smudgley
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
What a pretty Edward

Shelley123
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
What a handsome chap he is

calismum
07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Very handsome boy. Hope he settles in well.

Kay
07-02-2010, 10:27 PM
He is gorgeous. Hope he is settling in well

My friend has hens and one day her husband was driving home from work when the car in front knocked down a hen. My friends husband stopped to check her but she was dead. There wer two very young chicks by the side of the road so he took them home. Unfortunately one didn't survive but the other did well. They hand reared the chick and as it grew they realised it was a cockeral. He is gorgeous and so tame and he now lives with their girls. He is called Romeo and I love waking up to his crowing when I stay at their house.