PDA

View Full Version : Tiring day of vet visits.

farthing
01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
We had a few animals due in for vet visits, and decided to get as many done as possible while Mike was on holiday.
Fluffy, the latest cat went in for a dematt and bloods tests- mainly to check her thyroid levels as she is hyperthyroid. She was very matted underneath because she doesn't like being groomed there and also didn't trust us because she didn't know us. So we left her at the main branch, and Mike dropped me off at the local branch to start work.

Snowy and Jessica, the fluffy bunnies, were booked in at the end of my morning shift to get their teeth checked, Mike took them down. Jessica has a few spurs, but the vet doesn't want to do an op unless needed because she is 6.5 now. Snowy is in need of a dental, which didn't surprise me because he is a cashmere lop and has a very flat face- its very handsome though. We need to book him in over the next few weeks.

Samson, our old ginger cat was booked in for the evening shift for a general check over and a thyroid test. He has lost 0.5 kg but the vet thought he was looking very well otherwise. We also opted for a general blood test to make find out if his 'cancer' was starting to affect anywhere in his organs.

We then had to go back to the main branch to collect Fluffy, or the not so Fluffy but Baldy.:lol: Got her in her WICKER basket and headed home, after about 10 mins she must have felt relieved enough to pee- and it came out of the bottom all over my leg! I take it as a compliment but it was cold and smelly by the time I got home, and of course Mike found it very funny.:roll:

Shelley123
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you have had a busy but productive day

dandysmom
01-02-2010, 11:17 PM
You shame me I make a big deal about getting ONE cat to the vet! My hat's off to you!

angieh
01-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I have to say that it's better for the cat to go on the way home than the way to the vet's! Less embarrassing anyway, although they have always been very good about cleaning up cat and carrier at the vet I go to! I did take them in a pile of old towels once which they were very grateful for!

I'm amazed that Jessica Rabbit is 6.5 years old! I didn't know rabbits could live that long. Well done fluffy bunny.

farthing
02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I got Samson's general blood results back and they aren't good. His kidneys are starting to deteriorate. " months ago they were within the normal range, but they are above normal now. I am totally gutted, the vet doesn't think it is linked to the cancer, but still another issue for him to deal with.:cry:

Angie, rabbits can live into their teens, our first rabbit, who was a wildie died at 9 years old. Like cats, care of rabbits is improving all the time and so they are living longer. Vets are also becoming more aware of how to cope with health issues, and in reality they should be as aware of rabbit health as cat and dog health when you consider that they are on the verge of toppling cats as the second most common pet these days.

pookyandjo
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Not good about Samsons bloods Farthing... I hope they are able to sort it out quickly so any action required can be taken quickly...

and there you go... i learnt something today..i didn't know that rabbits could live that long either!

angieh
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I am very sorry about Samson's blood tests, farthing.

Thanks for the info re rabbits - I've never kept them myself. I am still astounded by their longevity - especially your wildie!

dandysmom
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I had no idea they lived so long either, nor that they were that popular.

Hey, Jo, nice to see you back!

farthing
02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I think the reason people don't realise rabbits can live so long, is because so many die at the age of 4 or younger, due to bad management, neglect and often poor vet skills.
Rabbits are much more delicate than cats and if they go off their food and stop toileting they should see a vet immediately.
An unspayed female has an 80% chance of having uterine cancer by the time she is 4.
They often suffer dental problems due to breeding and not having enough hay- should be 80-90% of their diet.
Not vaccinating for VHD and myxo.
Vets not being trained in rabbit care, they are still classed as exotics and get a couple of hours lectures, although things are changing, they are also limited by the number of meds licensed for rabbits- although vets are starting to try new things.

The main reason is because 'it is only a rabbit' and it is cheaper to buy a new one than spend money at the vet to cure it.:(

farthing
02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Tomorrow is another busy day, Smudge is in for more acupuncture, Corrie the collie is in for blood tests to check his phenobarbitone levels and I'm taking Spice in because she's not eating very well. She seems keen but doesn't take much. It might be her ears just generally bothering her, I've been cleaning them and giving surolan but they are still filthy, or her teeth.

farthing
03-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, not the best news for Spice, she may need a dental. The vet has given an anti-inflammatory injection and antibiotic to try and avoid the need for an op but suspects we may have to go down that route in the end. I did expect this, but still disappointed about it because she's not a great candidate for an op, but if she's sore eating we have no choice. Keep your fingers crossed this helps and we can control it without putting her under.

dandysmom
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Fingers definitely crossed for Spice! .....

Shelley123
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Fingers well and truly crossed for Spice.
I don't know whats wrong with her teeth but Tom had a broken tooth out and then kept getting a reacurring infection in the socket. The vet was talking about another op but so far we have avoided it. He was put on a high dose of antibiotics for a few weeks

farthing
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Well an interesting day of results.
Firstly Samson's thyroid is now within the normal range, this has been achieved by having him on the same dose but giving it just after breakfast, rather than a lunchtime, without a feed. Interestingly Fluffy is still high, but I have to confess I wasn't convinced about the 'give with food' idea so she has been getting her tablet when I could catch her. They were both about the same last time, over 100 and samson is now down to 16:shock: .
The other bit of news is that the uncontrolled hyperthyoid could have been maskig the fact he had kidney problems. Apparently the high metabolism covers up the kidney damage in the bloods, so he may have had this problem for a while. I feel a bit better because I was really worried because it had happened so suddenly.
I now have to get a urine sample from Sammy and I will actively give Fluffy her tablets with food and get her checked again in 3 weeks time.
The tablet in question is Vidalta, so anybody using it, start to give with food, you may find you don't need to give as high a dose.

Shelley123
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Glad Samson's thyroid is within the normal range and hope that Fluffy's gets under control. Tom is on different thyroid tablets but i think it's usual to give the tablets with food as it helps them work and prevents them leaving the body too soon.