PDA

View Full Version : Microchip cat flaps

Qwerty
31-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Has any one got one? How easy are they to fit into a current double glazed door? Or do I need to get a new double glazed panel made with a pre cut hole? Help !

angieh
31-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Querty! There are various models of microchip cat flap that I've seen advertised. If you go to the PetPorte website and FAQs there is info re glazed doors. There are also technical specs leaflets that can be downloaded.

I know about the above because I am considering getting one for my cats but haven't done so yet - I'm dithering!

Qwerty
31-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi
I did email a glazier and they wanted £220 for a new (narrow) panel of glass. Too expensive really as pet porte is another £100 on top!!
Thanks for replying and let me know when you have decided!!

Emma

dandysmom
01-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Sorry, Qwerty (love the username!!). no experience with these as my cats are indoors only, but good luck!

John
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Had my cat flap put thro the wall under the kitchen sink. if I want to stop the cat going out I just close the cuboard door under the sink ..a builder friend done it about 15 years ago all my cats seem to get on very well with it..

Qwerty
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Had my cat flap put thro the wall under the kitchen sink. if I want to stop the cat going out I just close the cuboard door under the sink ..a builder friend done it about 15 years ago all my cats seem to get on very well with it..

Hey! That's funny!! What a brilliant idea!! I may get the flap put into a window - it may be cheaper!!

John
03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
a cat flap does not have to be thro a door..:D

James
07-02-2010, 02:26 AM
So you see .... the male solution to this problem is eminently practical. Not only can said puss exit and enter as if by magic through a kitchen cupboard, she could also do running repairs to the plumbing when required ... simples!
(memo - must not let my wife read this chauvinist post .... :) )

dandysmom
07-02-2010, 02:40 AM
LOL, James! How is Bella settling in?

James
09-02-2010, 05:19 AM
LOL, James! How is Bella settling in?

You may have read my other post, but 'Bella' is now renamed “Boodle” :) She has been with us just ten days and is settling in very well. In fact I have to remind myself that it is just ten days! She is far more confident in a much larger space than she has been used to (other than the great outdoors!). The first weekend with us, she refused to come upstairs (after all, you never know what monsters lurk on the top landing :shock: ). Now she runs up to find me (my study is upstairs) shouting all the way!

She used to wolf her food down all at once as insurance against it being stolen. Now we notice that she eats some and leaves the rest for later. She has begun to look more robust and her coat looks so much better. She has bonded well with us and of course, has wormed her way into our hearts and now we couldn’t imagine life without her :D

fancyabrew
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
just fitted a petporte this weekend. We did have an old style petporte but it got damaged when we had some building work done last year.

Anyway after seamingly weekly raids by another cat I've had to bite the bullet and get another petporte. The new design is much better than the old one, better weather proofing, easier to fit (now just cut the hole and drill two holes for the fixing bolts) and has battery backup.

Fitted in a plastic door, only thing to watch is make sure its low enough down the door as your cat needs to be close to the porch where the chip reader is