PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Licking???

gnome
28-01-2010, 02:57 AM
I believe that my cat is excessively licking herself to the point of injury/irritation. I say believe because I'm not sure that is the case. Some back story. We noticed something was wrong when she first showed up with some injuries. We figured they were caused by the male cat (located on neck) because of displaced aggression that was coming from the dog. So we fixed it so the dog couldn't get into the cat room once again (he's bad about breaking down gates and popping locks). And started letting the female hang out in our room during the day; keeping her away from her brother. Well those wounds have healed and no more have appeared but new types have. She's bald from mid tummy down as well as the inside of her back legs. The base of her tail is going bald and is puffy along with little red bumps like the skin is irritated. Then today I noticed a section on her tummy where the skin is missing and the only thing I can think would cause it is licking; like a skinned knee or something.
I'm looking for any advice. I haven't had a cat is I was young and then it was always indoor/outdoor cats and they were the only cat in the house.

Tink
28-01-2010, 05:00 AM
The only experience I've had with this personally is I had a male that started excessively grooming himself (resulting in fur loss) due to stress. He was actually put on Prozac and it helped (the same kind they use for humans at a smaller dose!). I know this worked for him and his hair grew back and we were eventually able to wean him off the meds.
We were only able to come to this conclusion of course after getting a full checkup/bloodwork/etc. at the vet.
Good luck, I'm sure someone more knowledgable shall be by soon...something to consider in the interim.

Leesy
28-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Sorry I can`t be of much use as I have not had to deal with this problem myself but I am sure that there will be people on this forum that have and will beable to help:D

Shelley123
28-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I am interested in this thread in case anyone has any ideas. I have a cat who licks his fur excessively and pulls it out in clumps. He is on treatment for Hyperthyroidism which is under control. When i mentioned the problem to the Vet he didn't make much of it. When he first started treatment his fur grew back and looked realy nice, he is however looking a bit raggy. I have treated him with frontline in case it was a flea problem. I don't think he is stressed but who realy knows.
I was interested to read Tinks post on the use of Prozac as our other Cat is exessively nervous and is getting worse.

angieh
28-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Gnome! I have no experience of a cat excessively grooming either, but IMO if you can rule out skin problems such as fleas/mites or mange first then the problem could be due to stress. Do try Feliway plug ins or I think they do a spray now too. Bach's Rescue Remedy is also an option - a couple of drops on your fingers rubbed into the cat's ears may help.

Good luck with this - I would definitely seek a vet's opinion first.

dandysmom
28-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm inclined to think of stress also, if you've ruled out fleas, food allergy, etc. Has she been seen by her vet? I'd definitely try the Feliway and Rescue Remedy; they've done wonders for some members stressy cats. Poor girl, hope you can get to the root of the problem as she must be so uncomfortable; do let us know.

gnome
28-01-2010, 06:58 PM
No vet yet as we thought things were under control when we started giving the cats safe zones. Things got better for a bit. Then this started. Sigh... I'm going to try the Feliway for a little bit and then if things don't get better I'll take her to the vet. The poor thing I really feel bad. It's time to pick up a bag of food so maybe I'll try something new. Though I'm feeding Evo and have done so for the past three years or so. I'm a little hesitant to change.

New question. I recently started them back on Whiskers wet food every couple of days. I fed this to them probably about a year ago then switched to something else then back. Could it possibly be that she's now allergic?? I haven't fed it recently and don't plan on feeding it until this clears up.

angieh
28-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I would have thought that changing food would produce toileting problems - changes in faeces etc, but it could have added an element of stress. Cats are such creatures of habit. Difficult to say IMO.

farthing
29-01-2010, 06:11 PM
One of our cats did this, she then started to be regularly sick. After various tests it was diagnosed as IBD, and excessive licking around the tummy can be a symptom- so my vet said. She is now on Hi-life, which contains meat and tapioca ( I did wonder if she had developed a gluten allergy). She is much better now and although she still does not have as much fluff on her tummy and legs as elsewhere she is much better and has stopped being sick. I am not suggesting your cat will have IBD, but I would perhaps look at her diet.

gnome
30-01-2010, 06:21 AM
The red bumps on her back side are gone!! So at least that I'm thinking is the wet food. Which they will not be getting any more of.

jacks
14-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I am interested in this thread in case anyone has any ideas. I have a cat who licks his fur excessively and pulls it out in clumps. He is on treatment for Hyperthyroidism which is under control. When i mentioned the problem to the Vet he didn't make much of it. When he first started treatment his fur grew back and looked realy nice, he is however looking a bit raggy. I have treated him with frontline in case it was a flea problem. I don't think he is stressed but who realy knows.
I was interested to read Tinks post on the use of Prozac as our other Cat is exessively nervous and is getting worse.

My Minnie was being treated for Hyperthyroidism and after 2 weeks began constantly washing and scratching herself.I kept finding fur all round the house.Took her to the vets.They checked her over and decided although the tablets where working(she had put on weight)she was having a reaction to them,the skin inside her ears was very red.She had to stop taking them and we had the operation.All the scratching and washing stopped.Just thought id let you know of my experience.

Shelley123
14-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info Jacks, i'm glad Minnie is ok.
I think Tom was overgrooming before treatment, have checked his ears and they're fine so will continue as we are for the moment, but i will certaily bear in mind what you have told me if it gets too bad.