PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing dilema

Leesy
27-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Has anybody had a problem with their cat sneezing at all, only last night after I had just had my bath I noticed Maxi was sneezing alot and he has been sneezing quite abit since through the night and also today.
He has not got a runny nose or eyes he just sneezes, he seems fine within himself and is eating OK.
I decided to phone the vets this morning just to see what they said and they said to keep an eye on him and see how he goes and if he gets any worse to fetch him in.
I did mention to them that I had put some new Lavender scented candles on before I had a bath and they said that this could have caused him to have some sort of irritation in his nose as they have very sensitive noses.
What I was wondering is has anybody had anything like this happen to their cats at all as I am just abit alarmed by him keep sneezing like that, it is like somebody who sneezes when they have Hay- Fever:? :?

angieh
27-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Sounds like an allergy to something Leesy. I've had cats giving the odd sneeze but not like you describe. OH has those multi-sneezing fits though for no apparent reason and nothing to do with lavender candles! He can sneeze 20+ times and then it just stops and can go days before he has another bout. No idea what causes it.

Leesy
27-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Another thought I have had is I have got a different fabric conditioner that I have been using which is quite strong smelling and have been drying washing on the radiators which exagerates the smell, I wonder if it could be something to do with that:? .

angieh
27-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm not good with perfumey smells - they can make me wheeze as can diesel fumes and all sorts of household cleaning products. I know I am not a cat, but I would think that cats could suffer the same.

Leesy
27-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I have phoned the vets and booked him in as he has started coughing a liittle bit now when he has been eating food, only when eating though:? .
Do you think I am being abit over cautious.

angieh
27-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Well, maybe ......... but it's much better safe and you know Maxi best. He may have a bit of a cold.

Shelley123
27-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Leesy,
you're probs doing the right thing if he's coughing when eating. It will put your mind at rest

Leesy
27-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I have just been playing with him a little bit and he was not coughing but sort of if you know what I mean it was beginning:? , and he wasn`t exactly charging around so he is still off at 6.50pm.:(

angieh
27-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Good Luck Leesy - I do hope all really is well. Please give His Honour a chin tickle from me!

Leesy
27-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks will let you know how he has gone on, will no doubt be nothing to worry about, but at least I will beable to rest easy.

dandysmom
27-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Better safe than sorry. It does sound like an allergy, but you never know. Leia had a sneezing spell at breakfast: sneezed rapidly about 10 times, then finished eating, had a wash-up and is now napping, but I'm keeping an eye on her nonetheless.

Leesy
27-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Better safe than sorry. It does sound like an allergy, but you never know. Leia had a sneezing spell at breakfast: sneezed rapidly about 10 times, then finished eating, had a wash-up and is now napping, but I'm keeping an eye on her nonetheless.

Hope that she dosen`t do any more sneezing:D

Leesy
27-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Well we are back from the vets and I am so glad that I took him, it turns out that he has via cross contamination managed to pick up Cat flu from "PG" the little kitten that the girls have. "PG" started with the symptoms the day after Newyears Day and she was on antibiotics to clear it up.
Even though I was careful washing down and changing clothes before coming home it looks like I must have fetched it home with me:? .
I asked the vet how can he get it when he is vaccinated, and he said that they can still pick it up but it isn`t as serious as when they are not vaccinated, so he is now on antibiotics to clear it up.:( .
Have been told to keep my eye on Maisy to make sure she dosen`t start showing any signs of it, so fingers crossed she dosen`t.

angieh
27-01-2010, 10:05 PM
What a good thing you are an alert mummy, Leesy. He should get better very soon as you acted so promptly.

Get well very soon Maxi!

Shelley123
27-01-2010, 10:06 PM
What a good job you took him Leesy, hope Maxi is feeling much better soon

dandysmom
27-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Poor Maxi, but well done you and catching it that soon; hope Maisy will be spared. No, Leia hasn't sneezed any more and seems just fine.

Leesy
27-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Thank you, Maxi has gone of sulking after I gave him his antibiotic tab and put his eye ointment in, mind you I had to break the tab in half to give it to him as it is a big one, the vet said normaly it would just be half a tablet if he was under 5 kilo but as he weighs 6.7 kilo he has to have a full one:roll: :roll:

dandysmom
27-01-2010, 10:20 PM
At least you got half of it in him .... more than I can do!

angieh
27-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Poor lambkin .......... not only does extra weight make your jeans tight but you have to take the whole pill rather than half the pill!!! Whichever way you look at it, you gotta be thin!

Leesy
27-01-2010, 10:33 PM
At least you got half of it in him .... more than I can do!
:lol: :lol: Sorry you miss understood, I did get the whole tablet inside him but I had to do it in two halfs to do it as it was that big;)

Poor lambkin .......... not only does extra weight make your jeans tight but you have to take the whole pill rather than half the pill!!! Whichever way you look at it, you gotta be thin!

:lol: :lol: Thats what happens when you love your food.......

dandysmom
27-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I did misunderstand; still impressed that you can pill them at all!

Leesy
27-01-2010, 10:48 PM
:lol: :lol: I swaddle them in a blanket like you would a baby, and they just lay there nice and calmly while I do the deed and of course when it is done I give them a chin rub and a cuddle, they are both really good for me when I have to do anything like that.:D

dandysmom
27-01-2010, 11:33 PM
LOL, you make it sound easy! Been there, done that ... or I should say, haven't done that as they always manage to spit out the pill even after the throat-stroking to make them swallow. :roll:

Leesy
27-01-2010, 11:37 PM
LOL, you make it sound easy! Been there, done that ... or I should say, haven't done that as they always manage to spit out the pill even after the throat-stroking to make them swallow. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mine are just such good kitty`s for their mummy, even though they may sulk after.

dandysmom
27-01-2010, 11:41 PM
I wish they'd talk to Leia sometime; she, like all of mine, is adamant that she will not take a pill. Give M & M a cuddle from me for being such good kitties.

angieh
27-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I really got quite good at giving Merlin pills - poor old boy got too weak to protest. Pip is quite good, but is getting very much stronger. Kizzy is a dream so long as I am behind her as she backs away and into me, so can be held fast.

Reminds me, wormers are due now.

Leesy
27-01-2010, 11:55 PM
I wish they'd talk to Leia sometime; she, like all of mine, is adamant that she will not take a pill. Give M & M a cuddle from me for being such good kitties.
I sure will Eileen:D

Leesy
28-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Awwwww poor Maxi has just been trying to eat some of his biscuits but he has just been sneezing all over them, my poor little baby.

Leesy
28-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I can`t believe how quickly the antibiotics have started working, his sneezing is sooooooo much better:shock: , which is good news, he still struggled a little to eat as he was coughing a little, but the vet did say his throat was very inflamed and sore so I suppose that will take a little longer to feel better.

angieh
28-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Poor Maxi - glad his sneezing has improved. Get well soon handsome!

Leesy
28-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Poor Maxi - glad his sneezing has improved. Get well soon handsome!

Maxi says "Thank you very much":D

dandysmom
28-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Bless him, glad to hear he's perking up! No sneezes at all from Leia, that apparently was a one of thing. Is Maisy OK?

angieh
29-01-2010, 03:53 PM
How is Maxi today, Leesy????

Leesy
30-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Bless him, glad to hear he's perking up! No sneezes at all from Leia, that apparently was a one of thing. Is Maisy OK?
Thanks Eileen, and Maisy fingers crossed is showing no signs of it:D

How is Maxi today, Leesy????

Hi Angie, I have had Maxi back at the vets today:roll: as even though his sneezing and coughing is virtualy totaly gone the antibiotics has upset his bowels and his motions are very loose (wipey bottom time):roll: , so the vet wanted to check him over, he has said to reduce his tablet to 3/4 of a tab instead of the whole one, so hopefully this will help, but we need to monitor it as we don`t want it to trigger of his Colitus problem that he had so fingers crossed.

Elaine
30-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Poor Maxi, I am sorry I missed this Leesy. Give the kitties a cuddle please. xxx

Leesy
30-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Poor Maxi, I am sorry I missed this Leesy. Give the kitties a cuddle please. xxx

Thanks Elaine, I will give them both a cuddle from you:D .