PDA

View Full Version : 1st Vaccination

3398rachel
24-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi, took my kitty for his first innoculation yesterday. He hasnt been well since. He didnt eat much yesterday and was very sleepy. Bit better today, eaten a little bit but still very sleepy. Is this normal?:(

Mags
24-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi Rachel, it's quite usual for cats to feel a bit off colour for a day or so after their innoculations, especially the first ones.

Hopefully he will perk up tomorrow ....... please let us know how he is then.

3398rachel
24-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that. Its a relief, phewww!! As he is my first cat, Im all new to this. The vet never mentioned anything so was bit concerned. Its such a relief to have some experienced people to ask (sometimes silly) questions. Thanks again:p

Kim
24-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Most vets are so pro-vaccinations that they don't mention this! None of my cats are vaccinated anymore, but I remember my Birman cat Misty was extremely ill after his first vaccs, even subsequent boosters made him off colour, this also happened to my cat Rosie.

Pleased he is a little better now Rachel. :)

3398rachel
24-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh right, I just presumed you should get them vaccinated every year. They told me he needed 1 yesterday, another in 3 weeks and also they told me he should have the one for leukemia as well! They were very busy and it felt a bit like we were rushed in and out.

Shelley123
24-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Hope your little Kitty is feeling better tomorrow Rachel.
Re innoculations i have always thought like you that yearly was good and we have always done this.
However i belong to a dog forum and have come across different opinions. Some people say that some innoculations are designed to last for 3 years, yet vets reccomend every year. Not realy sure, what do other members think?

Mags
24-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Cassie is 14 now and she has her boosters every year but only because she goes into a cattery while we are away on holiday ........ catteries won't accept cats unless they are fully up to date with their vaccinations.

By the way Rachel, no question is ever silly ......... just ask about anything, that's how we learn;) Someone here will always have an answer for you..:)

3398rachel
24-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Ozzy has had his tea and has had a little play. He must be feeling bit better. :D

Mags
24-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Ozzy has had his tea and has had a little play. He must be feeling bit better. :D
That's good news! :)

angieh
24-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Glad Ozzy is feeling better. IMO your vet should have told you how your cat might react .......... even though they were busy.

Please don't worry about asking questions.

Kim
24-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Please ask away Rachel.

I do think it is a good idea to get your cat his first vaccinations and I have always taken my cats for boosters for a few years, however, I now think they have built up enough immunity of their own and as they rarely go out and only then in our back garden, I don't feel it is necessary anymore. It is personal choice though! :)