PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new cat today

Kay
23-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Well today I went to collect my new cat :).

She is a blue Colourpoint Persian called Millie and she is two and a half. She is so soft and sweet and has massive eyes. At the moment she is clipped back but her coat will soon be back to normal and if it is anything like her dad's it will be massive. I am not sure whether I will show her as quite often the coat grows back shaded so we will have to wait and see.

She has made herself well and truely at home and is sat watching TV with Kyle. I will get some pics as soon as I can.

Shelley123
24-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Congratulations on your new furbaby, can't wait to see some pics. It's great that she's settled in

angieh
24-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm looking forward to those photos Kay! Welcome Millie.

Kay
24-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks both of you. She is really laid back but quite talkative.

angieh
24-01-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think I've ever met a Persian in real life. What sort of miaow do they have ........ is it a tiny one, like my Kizzy or a very chatty quite assertive one like my little Pip???

Tink
24-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Can't wait to see pix..congrats!

Kay
24-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't think I've ever met a Persian in real life. What sort of miaow do they have ........ is it a tiny one, like my Kizzy or a very chatty quite assertive one like my little Pip???

The Colourpoint Persians can be quite loud and assertive probably down to their Siamese ancestors :roll:. The other colours of Persians are quieter but certainly not tiny ;)

Thanks Tink .

Kazz
24-01-2010, 11:19 AM
She sounds lovely Kay, a new arrival that is not a kitten on the board...whats she called?

Kay
24-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks Kazz. She is called Millie which is going to get very confusing here as we already have a Tilly and a Jilly!!!!

Kazz
24-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks Kazz. She is called Millie which is going to get very confusing here as we already have a Tilly and a Jilly!!!!

Just call "Illy" out and all will respond or not ;) being cats a good generic name for all of them then ....instead of "cats cats cats" :)Nice name. Why did you decide on a blue colourpoint persian? and in particular her?Was the temptation the colour, the breeding (behind her) and or what she can provide to your breeding plan (if there is one) and or you just fell in love...I am just interested in why a 2 and half year old adult not a kitten?Not being nosey and feel free not to answer I just got interested.

Kay
24-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Just call "Illy" out and all will respond or not ;) being cats a good generic name for all of them then ....instead of "cats cats cats" :)Nice name. Why did you decide on a blue colourpoint persian? and in particular her?Was the temptation the colour, the breeding (behind her) and or what she can provide to your breeding plan (if there is one) and or you just fell in love...I am just interested in why a 2 and half year old adult not a kitten?Not being nosey and feel free not to answer I just got interested.

Might try that ;). Apparently she answers to Pede as in millipede but I don't fancy shouting that you don't know what the neighbours will think :shock:. Rosie comes to which ever cat I call but that is down to jealousy :roll:

I did want a dilute colour female and she carries the lilac gene which is an added bonus. Wes my blue tabby carries lilac so I may eventually get some lilac in either selfs, tabby, colourpoints or tabby colourpoints. The kittens from this mating will be all dilute as well which will make a change for me.

Her breeding is totally different to any of mine which may or may not work nicely with my lines but heres hoping. Her dad is a Swiss Import and I wouldn't be able to get anything like that so I couldn't pass the opportunity up. She is my friends girl and she offered her to me. She is a proven mum who has never had any problems so fingers crossed.

shimmy
24-01-2010, 02:29 PM
sounds great well done , waiting on your pics !!

dandysmom
24-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Sh sounds lovely Kay; hurry with the pics!

Leesy
24-01-2010, 05:44 PM
She sounds soooooo sweet Kay, can`t wait to see some pics:D

Kazz
24-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Might try that ;). Apparently she answers to Pede as in millipede but I don't fancy shouting that you don't know what the neighbours will think :shock:. Rosie comes to which ever cat I call but that is down to jealousy :roll:

I did want a dilute colour female and she carries the lilac gene which is an added bonus. Wes my blue tabby carries lilac so I may eventually get some lilac in either selfs, tabby, colourpoints or tabby colourpoints. The kittens from this mating will be all dilute as well which will make a change for me.

Her breeding is totally different to any of mine which may or may not work nicely with my lines but heres hoping. Her dad is a Swiss Import and I wouldn't be able to get anything like that so I couldn't pass the opportunity up. She is my friends girl and she offered her to me. She is a proven mum who has never had any problems so fingers crossed.

She sounds lovely Kay, I hope you have years and years of happiness with her.....my next question ,....what is a dilute...I am thinking like squash you add water to therefore dilute....but not sure about with cat colours?

candyshandy
24-01-2010, 07:23 PM
She is lovely Kay I remember seeing her at her previous home, good luck with her:D

dandysmom
24-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Kazz, dilute lessens the depth of color. Very simply, black becomes blue, ginger cream, etc. It's a bit more complicated than that, there are further dilutions like lilac, but really needs a breeder to explain it more fully. That gives you the general idea. Leia is a dilute. as was Misty.

Kay
24-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Eileen is quite right in what she says. The dominant colours in Persians are Black, Red and Chocolate with dilute versions being Blue, Cream and Lilac.

To produce a dilute kitten both parents to be either a visual dilute or carry the dilute gene. Two dominant colours can never produce a dilute (unless of course they both carry dilute). Two dilutes can never produce a dominant (the dominant colours do not carry, if the gene is there the cat will be a dominant colour).

Chocolate is slightly different in that although Chocolate is a dominant colour it is recessive to Black. This basically means that to produce a Chocolate kitten both parents must either be a visual Chocolate or carry the Chocolate gene. To produce Lilac the parents must both be or carry both the Chocolate and the dilute gene.

Hope this helps.

Kay
24-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Here is my first pic of Millie.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/Tilsie/Millie24thJan2010a.jpg

Shelley123
24-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Awwwwwwwwww, what more can i say

Kay
24-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Thank you Shelley. She is a bit sparse in coat at the moment due to being clipped back. I can't wait for it to grown then I can get some really nice pics of her.

Leesy
25-01-2010, 12:06 AM
She is sooooooo sweet, what a little cutie she is, I bet she will be such a little stunner when her fur grows back again:D

angieh
25-01-2010, 12:17 AM
She looks so tiny - what a poppet!

Kay
25-01-2010, 12:45 AM
She looks so tiny - what a poppet!

She just looks tiny as she has no coat around her neck. She is quite a chunky, and heavy girl.