PDA

View Full Version : Can cats have Down's Syndrome?

James
23-01-2010, 05:53 AM
My apologies if I am repeating what many of you here already know, but for some it may be new (and hopefully, interesting) information. I am not a Vet, but genetics is part of my field.

Down’s Syndrome (named after John Langdon Down, a British physician who first described the condition in 1866) is caused by a chromosomal mutation. The condition is relatively common in human beings, affecting one in 1000 people.

Most human beings have 46 chromosomes, arranged in 23 pairs, but a significant number of people have 45, 47 or more chromosomes. The way the chromosome pattern is expressed in writing is 46,XX or 46, XY or 47, XXY or 47, XYY etc. One of the chromosome pairs is referred to as ‘sex chromosomes’ since they define whether a foetus develops in to male, female or a blend of the two. Male development is usually influenced by the Y chromosome of an XY pair of whereas female development continues (since female is the ‘default’ life form for human beings) under the influence of an XX pair. However, it is possible for a man to have XX chromosomes and a woman to have a XY chromosomes (if you want to know how this happens, just ask :) ).

So-called 'domestic' Cats have 38 chromosomes, (they would have to be different wouldn’t they/!) but as with humans, felines have a pair of sex chromosomes which, for the majority, define male and female as in humans i.e. XX for female and XY for males. The Y chromosome carries relatively few genes, whereas the X chromosome has over 1,000. Many inherited conditions that have a potentially lethal effect are carried on the X chromosome (these conditions are referred to as ‘X-linked’ inherited).

Because most females have two X chromosomes, both humans, cats and other mammals are therefore potentially exposed to double the number of such inherited conditions. However, nature has provided for this in that mammalian females have a means to nullify one of the X chromosomes by a process known as ‘dosage compensation’. Briefly, this means that females can ‘switch off’ the second X chromosome - this switch can either be at-random or ‘imprinted’ i.e. fixed (this is usually the one inherited from the father, but don’t tell women, they already think they are superior :) )

This ability of mammals with two XX chromosomes to switch off one X chromosome provides a degree of protection from the most lethal types of genetically inherited conditions. For instance, muscular dystrophy in human males is a life-limiting condition, whereas in females it is not.

One of the genes on the X chromosome in cats is the fur pigmentation gene (so female cats have two of these genes). Each of these X-linked genes is mapped to the fur colour orange, the other to black. This is why most tortoiseshell/calico cats are female (male cats with two X chromosomes (those who are 39,XXY) can also have the same fur pigmentation).

The reason for this preamble is to illustrate that humans and cats, as mammals are very similar genetically. So what about other genetically inherited conditions such as Down’s Syndrome?

The medical term for sex chromosomes is ‘allosomes’ and non-sex chromosomes are ‘autosomes’. A primary cause of Down’s Syndrome in humans is when autosome 21 has an extra (third) fragment - hence the term ‘trisomy 21’. When this happens, every cell in the body contains this three-part autosome and it is this extra fragment that contains the genetic code for the features that add up to Down’s Syndrome. Another variation of Down’s is known as ‘Mosaicism’ in which the trisomy affects some of the body cells whilst the rest have the typical number of chromosomes. The external features of Down’s syndrome include variation in shape of face, eyes, nose, ears, hands, feet, enlarged tongue, coarse hair texture, overall body shape, poor abdominal muscle tone and most importantly, brain development. Brain development affects cognitive abilities i.e the ability to learn, remember detail and apply knowledge to new situations. I have spent a large portion of my professional life with people who have Down’s Syndrome and apart from being some of the most engaging human beings I know, many if them are far more intelligent than they are given credit for. They *can* learn, and apply what they know, the secret is knowing how they learn and meeting this with appropriate, structured programmes. Down’s Syndrome also affects neurological function such as balance and co-ordination. Not everyone with Down’s Syndrome presents with all the features on the list so the most accurate way to diagnose the condition is a ‘karyotype’ test that reveals a map of the chromosomes taken from a blood sample. Under the microscope, you can clearly see the chromosomes arranged in pairs and if trisomy is present it can be seen which autosome is affected. If it is 21 which has an extra fragment then this an indicator of Down’s Syndrome.

Research has discovered that mice can present with the equivalent of trisomy 21, but the extra fragment is on autosome 16. The problem with identifying conditions that are a non-human model for conditions which have already been identified in humans, such as Down’s Syndrome, is because of the variation in the total number of chromosomes across mammalian species and the fact that the research has not been done. Trisomy in mice was discovered because mice are a favourite laboratory test species. I have discussed this with veterinarians and whilst some say that conditions such as Down’s Syndrome cannot occur in Cats, others say that it can. My attitude is that if the type of trisomy that causes Down’s Syndrome occurs in humans and mice it can also occur in other mammals. The problem that cat breeders/keepers/staff have is interpreting feline behaviour to the point that we can link it to behaviour typical of someone with Down’s Syndrome. I have spoken with a number of human parents who were sent home from hospital with reassurances from staff that their baby was “fine” only to be told some weeks later that their baby had Down’s Syndrome. If we still have problems diagnosing Down’s Syndrome in human beings until a karyotype test is done, it is extremely difficult to arrive at a diagnosis, in the absence of knowing what to look for in a karyotype test for a creature that behaves somewhat differently from humans, looks different and has a different number of chromosomes to us.

Those of us who spend more time than most with cats, know that one way to identify differences that may be linked to a developmental/medical condition is to compare what we feel is ‘typical’ behaviour with what seems to be ‘different’ or ‘odd’. The same goes for appearance and other features such as intelligence, balance, co-ordination, body shape and sociability. However, even here one has to be careful. Before we decided to actually adopt a cat, I sponsored a gorgeous, tiny scrap of a tabby girl who had been found in a ditch as a four week old kitten (what’s wrong with that, doesn’t everyone throw four week old kittens into a ditch .....? :(). Following rescue she was found to have motor co-ordination difficulties which was later diagnosed as cerebral palsy. She resides permanently with a foster mum where she has access to the best of care (if she didn’t, we would have adopted her immediately). With regard to Down’s Syndrome, as with humans, other features would have had to be present in her appearance and behaviour.

So ..... if anyone tells you that ‘Down’s Syndrome does not affect cats”, just ask them how they know this with certainty :)

angieh
23-01-2010, 03:02 PM
That's a hugely interesting (and quite complicated for me) subject James. I think I said that I didn't think cats could get Downs Syndrome in the thread about Pip's webbed paws, so I stand corrected. My immediate query would be, in the case of webbed paws at least, whether such a thing is an inherited characteristic from one or both of his parents (his sibling having the same condition might suggest this) or perhaps it is "just" a chance mutation. I know there is no way of proving either way really.

dandysmom
23-01-2010, 05:41 PM
That was a fascinating and informative post, albeit a bit technical. I do wonder if in the cases where a mom cat ignores one of the kits after birth if she might have sensed abnormalities? I suppose it would be necessary to do a necropsy/chromosome count to determine that, which could be interesting .....

Elaine
23-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Interesting reading, thankyou for taking the time to post it.;)

James
23-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned that the subject matter may be a bit 'heavy' because it refers to subject unfamiliar to most people, but felt it worth leaving to each reader to decide :).

With regard to webbing of fingers/toes, slight webbing occurs in most humans between fingers and toes, but more noticeable webbing (medical term 'Syndactyly') is more common in people with Down's Syndrome. However, as with so many of the other physical features of the condition, it does not affect 100%. On the other hand, many people who do not have Down's do have some degree of webbing. In most cases this does not cause any problems, but in extreme cases, it can be addressed surgically. I would imagine that the same balance occurs in cats. Some cats will present with webbing because of their breed or because they have inherited the one gene that is responsible for this feature from their ancestors. Random mutations do occur from this 'wandering' gene that does not occur in every generation, but pops up unexpectedly in both humans and cats. One fairly frequent feature of Down's Syndrome is the shape of the skull and face. The skull is often rounder than average and the face is therefore rounder & wider than average (to me, this is part of the charm of people with Down's, they have such wide, trusting faces :) ).

Little Pip (and his sibling) has obviously inherited a gene that maps for Syndactyly and as long as it does not cause him any discomfort then it is part of his unique charm :)

James
23-01-2010, 08:49 PM
That was a fascinating and informative post, albeit a bit technical. I do wonder if in the cases where a mom cat ignores one of the kits after birth if she might have sensed abnormalities? I suppose it would be necessary to do a necropsy/chromosome count to determine that, which could be interesting .....

I think this is what does happen (it also happens with humans too :( ) I do feel that more research needs to be done with both live cats and during any post mortem examination. For instance, i wonder how much research has been done to identify variations/abnormalities in healthy gonads etc removed during sterilisation/spey ops? Statistics gathered from other species indicate that this would be certain to reveal greater variation than simple testicular or ovarian differences. In-turn this may open up new insights into the cause of unusual feline health problems (I have researched this with humans, so I see no reason to believe that the same would not be true of cats).

dandysmom
23-01-2010, 08:49 PM
It may be a bit heavy but how else do we learn? Personally I'm very interested; keep posting, James. Excellent thought about research on the excised gonads; there might be a good research project there for an aspiring doctoral candidate.

James
23-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Interesting reading, thankyou for taking the time to post it.;)

Thanks for the feedback Elaine. Of course, where you live (and where I used to live) is the last refuge of the only true wild cat in the British Isles. I wonder what we can learn from them :)

angieh
23-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I find the whole subject fascinating and I must admit mainly because my father's left hand was webbed. He was however one of 11 children, and none of the others had this. His mother was told it was the way he laid in the womb. How correct this explanation was I do not know. Luckily, I do not have any webbing!

Pip's webs are very robust and not skin that would tear easily. He obviously loves water and of course Water Cats are one branch of felines that have webbed paws as part of their genetic makeup.

The possibility of research on the excised gonads is indeed very interesting.

James
23-01-2010, 10:44 PM
It may be a bit heavy but how else do we learn? Personally I'm very interested; keep posting, James. Excellent thought about research on the excised gonads; there might be a good research project there for an aspiring doctoral candidate.

Good idea! - I shall now dash off, grab one of my students and inform them they are "researching felines" this term :lol:

Seriously, I feel that more cross species research is necessary as the more we learn of non-human species the more we learn about ourselves.

dandysmom
23-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Too true, we and our cats are mammalians both, with many many similarities .. although I've not tried to wash the middle of my back with my tongue lately :mrgreen:

More study of the geomes is bound to be helpful; don't we live in an exciting time? They're finding what was called junk DNA to be quite important.

James
24-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Too true, we and our cats are mammalians both, with many many similarities .. although I've not tried to wash the middle of my back with my tongue lately :mrgreen:

More study of the geomes is bound to be helpful; don't we live in an exciting time? They're finding what was called junk DNA to be quite important.

This is just my personal opinion, but the more I learn about the special skills of other species, the more I am convinced that human beings are not quite as superior as we like to assume we are :)

Every one of us is unique and that goes for cats too. We share the major part of our DNA with other species. We have shared a common history with cats for over 9,500 years. About 250 heritable genetic disorders have been identified in cats, many similar to human inborn errors. Many feline diseases are now being diagnosed using genetic tests that were originally developed for use in humans. As you know genetic deafness is common in some types of cats. The genes responsible for this defect are unknown, but the disease is being studied in the hope that it may shed light on the causes of hereditary deafness in humans.