PDA

View Full Version : How much to get a cat blood tested?

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:13 PM
anyone know? i asked the vet,he said he would ring back but he never did
iwant to test my male s blood group

Elaine
22-01-2010, 04:29 PM
No idea, it varies from vet to vet. Why do you want to know his blood group?

Elaine
22-01-2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/blood_groups/info.html

Ok, now I get it, you want to become a breeder and indeed have already become one.

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:35 PM
No idea, it varies from vet to vet. Why do you want to know his blood group?
beacuse someone told meif the cats blood group is different from the queenthe kittens will die
i asked my vet this and he said its rubbish he said if theres a prob with the kittens, i just bring them to the vets

Elaine
22-01-2010, 04:37 PM
I dont wish to apear rude but why do you want to breed?

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 06:01 PM
no i dnt want to be a breeder it was an accident i shall keep the kittens

Kay
22-01-2010, 06:26 PM
There is a problem with different blood groups in the sire and dam and if this is the case then without intervention the kittens will die, your vet is wrong. I don't know how much it is to do the blood group test. I know you can do it via a buccal cell swab and send it to Animal DNA in Australia. It costs $50 australian dollars that is which is about £28. They are very good as I use them. The main breed to suffer from this problem is BSH. I will find a link for you to read up on it.

Please can we be a bit more helpful on Catsey. I am beginning to realise why I hadn't been here for awhile!!!

Kay
22-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Here are some more links to the one Elaine posted:-

http://www.messybeast.com/bloodgroups.htm

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/Feline_Blood_Types_and_NI_Web.pdf

This link shows some of the breeds that have an issue and to what percentage. If you are wanting to go down the avenue of the DNA swab you will need to get two swab kits asap. This is the link to Animal DNA:-

http://www.animalsdna.com/

It is really easy to do the swabs, you can do them yourself and get them sent back the same day that you receive the kit.

Elaine
22-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I only asked the question Kay as it all seems a bit disorganised and disjointed, I also thought that the FAB link would have been useful and helpful.

Kay
22-01-2010, 06:42 PM
That's fair enough Elaine but it just sounds a bit negative and not just on this thread that this new member has started.

lizziejayne66
23-01-2010, 10:38 AM
thanks i have looked up blood groups on the net, thats why i was concerned, but the vet said he has never heard of kittens dying, he said just to look out for brown pee, that could be difficult, what if she gives birth when we are asleep? i asked him about testing, he said he d ring back, but he did not. i looked online and i guess different countys charge diff prices but one vet in durham charges £67 for blood grouping. my vet said all it would give me is peace of mind
now i dont know what to do. do i get the male tested? if he a diff blood group then i may have probs, my vet said some could same blood group as queen then they d be fine
soi dnt know, vet said you cannot tell a kittens bloodgroup

lizziejayne66
23-01-2010, 10:45 AM
i havent had the male long, he will be nueatred im not a breeder
now all i want is to make sure there healthy.

Kay
23-01-2010, 11:47 AM
You would need to test both mum and dad. It wiould be pointless testing the kittensas it would be to late then. You need to know prior to delivery then in there is the issue with incompatibility you can remove the kittens from mum before they feed and hand rear them for the first 3-4 days then they can go back to mum. Be aware though that hand rearing is not easy in newborns.

smudgley
23-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm confused.:?

What is this thread about?

What condition/disease is this?

Why is handrearing going to help?

I'm interested to know more.....

Kay
23-01-2010, 11:37 PM
It is neonatal isoerythrolysis . If the sire and dam are of different blood groups then there is an issue with the kittens. If say the sire is group A, the main blood group for cats, is mated to a Group B dam the kittens born with blood group A or AB are at risk.

The problem occurs when the kittens start feeding. The mums blood contains anti A anti-bodies and these are passed through the colostrum to the kitten. These anti bodies destroy the group A red blood cells and the kitten usually dies. It is possible for ti to occur in the reverse so to speak but uncommon as anti B anti-bodies are never present in the same amounts as the Anti A antibodies and therefore does not generally cause neonatal isoerythrolysis.

To avoid kitten losses in these cases it is essential that kittens are not allowed to feed off mum for the first 24 hours, many breeders consider 2-3 days better, therefore this is where the hand feeding is needed.

dandysmom
23-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Is this like rh negative in humans?

Kay
24-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Don't know anything about RH negative in humans Eileen.

Kay
24-01-2010, 12:36 AM
In a way it is similar but also different.

In cats it is purely down to the blood group not a rhesus problem. Also there isn't a risk to the mother cat as there is to a human mother. It is the kittens that are at risk.

smudgley
24-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks Kay, that is very interesting.

Yes DM it very much sounded to me like rhesus negative in humans, that's exactly what I thought... very interesting, may have to read more about it. Thankyou. I presume it is extremely rare? Is it breed specific?

Kay
24-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Most cats are group A but there are some breeds that have a higher chance of being group B than others with BSH and breeds that use them as outcrosses being the highest. Siamese, Orientals and Tonkinese have been found in research projects to always be group A. It isn't rare and probably occurs more than breeders realise as the kittens die similar to those with fading kitten syndrome.

smudgley
24-01-2010, 01:43 AM
thanks Kay.

lizziejayne66
24-01-2010, 09:48 AM
i do hope there the same group. the female is group b it says so on her papers. no idea about the male
so what happens when moggies are outside and they get pregnant? are some ofthem in danger too?

Kay
24-01-2010, 12:46 PM
The vast majority of cats are Group A and therefore not at risk. 'Moggies' will nearly all be group A unless they have some of the breeds that are at risk of being group B somewhere in there background.

As you know that your girl is group B then you definitely need to find out the group your boy is. As he is a Selkirk Rex/ BSH variant then he is at high risk of being group B. If this is the case then everything will be ok. If, however , he is group A or AB then you will need to take the kittens away from mum for at least the first 24 hours for them to survive.

PLEASE GET HIM TESTED. HOPING MAY END IN KITTENS DYING.

lizziejayne66
24-01-2010, 02:59 PM
ok i will do i l ring the vets again