PDA

View Full Version : Cat pooing on mat after using tray!

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 03:56 PM
really doesnt make any sense, this has been going on for months she uses tray for both and then does a poo on the mat! why? i dnt wantthe others to copy her behaviour
i come down in the mornings to find 1 or 2 presents!

Elaine
22-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Is this the unspayed/pregnant one? Or is it another one? Is she spayed? Un-speyed/neutered cats are much more likely to mark their territory than speyd/neutered cats.

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:33 PM
its my pregnant queen but she has been doing it months before she got pregnant

Kay
22-01-2010, 06:13 PM
One of my girls will poo just outside the cat tray if another cat has already pooed in it yet if the tray is poo free then in the tray she will go. Oh and by the way she is spayed!!!

Perhaps when you seperate her to have her kittens she will settle down again.

lizziejayne66
23-01-2010, 10:40 AM
i hope so, but as i said, she has been doing this for sometime i alsp have a rubber mat under the litter tray to catch litter, she has even pooed on that.

calista24
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
When we got Cali 8 months ago, we read 3 books to understand her and look out for (over) naughty kitten behaviour!

At least 3 of them said this -

Cats are very private whilst going to the toilet, and where possible not to look at them / move towards then while in operation, should be quiet where poss too - we simply leave the room

Cats have no inbuilt desire to share trays, it's something they feel very territorial about (to the extent where when we change it, she sometimes actually leaps in straightaway to force a wee out and therefore mark it!

The trays should be as big as you can fit (or you may find they go outside it) and have ample room for manoevre and for them to 'rake' the contents.

They should be changed regularly, any excess urine areas removed at least once a day, and a cat should 'get on' with the type of litter you choose.

Hope that helps, it all seemed to make sense when formulating Cali's tray/litter/routine and we found a good spray in pets at home / pets corner (purple) to spray off/sanitise it.

Good luck ;)