PDA

View Full Version : Growing plans - Spring 2010

angieh
21-01-2010, 05:48 PM
This is for us gardening enthusiasts to say what we plan to plant or what seeds we are going to try this year. Like Eileen said in today's Daily, I nearly always buy too many different seeds. I just wish that I could share packets with other people as I do hate to waste the seeds and some packets have far too many. Perhaps it would be more cost efficient to buy young plants?

I fancy asparagus peas this year. Like the look and sound of them!

dandysmom
21-01-2010, 11:29 PM
It probably is more cost effective to buy plants; but I like doing them from seed as you can get varieties that aren't carried at the garden centres. And it's fun to see the first little leaves emerging from the soil in their tiny pots. I hate to waste seed too; wish they would offer mini-packs for people who are just planting a small bed, not an allotment. Speaking of seed, I'll post a list of what unused seed I have in March at planting time; anyone who'd like them just PM me and I'll gladly mail to you.
This year I'm doing Super Marmande tomatoes again as they usually do well for me and aren't too large...I don't care for the huge beefsteak varieties. Basil will be Genoa, hot peppers Thai hot. I do onions by planting some of the scallions with roots from the market; impossible to buy just a few onion sets.!

Am still dithering about flowers: will definitely have cactus flowered zinnias. French marigolds and nasturtiums. I'd love to try wallflowers but they, like delphiniums, don't like our hot humid Summers. The larkspur and portulaca reseed themselves. Am thinking of gerbera daisies and spider mums, but there isn't much room! Decisions, decisions .... :roll:

angieh
22-01-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm going to grow some leeks this year. Not sure yet what variety. I do love home grown leeeks. And carrots - grew them in bags last year which were quite successful. We trialled 5 different sorts of potatoes last year, also in bags, and found Vivaldi to be the ones we liked best for taste. Runner beans are a must and then salady stuff like radishes, beetroot and rocket (found a variety more resistant to flea beetle), perpetual spinach and chard for colour.

I'm really tempted to grow some strawberries too.