PDA

View Full Version : Toileting on childs bed

RRR
19-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi all, not been on in ages so hope you and your puddycats are all ok.

We got a new kitten in July as we lost one of our other cats, he's now 9 months old. He's settled in great without any probs, loves the other cat, our dog and both our children. My eldest is 2, just turned, and is quite hands on with Eddie (the kitten) but Eddie doesn't seem to mind and actively seeks out my son to play. Their play is always supervised.

A few weeks back one of the cats wee'd in my son's cot, I wasn't too sure who it was at the time as I didn't notice it straight away but had high suspicions it was Eddie as I was pretty sure the other cat wasn't indoors at the time.

This morning I went into my children's bedroom, they have moved bedroom since the last incident and my son is now in a bed and not a cot, and Eddie was in there (he must have wandered in half an hour before when I went in to settle the baby, without me realising) and he had wee'd and poo'd on my son's bed, whilst my son was in it! It wasn't late in the morning and it was earlier than Eddie would normally be let out.

Any suggestions on why he's doing this and how I can stop it? Obviously its something I need to deal with asap and am willing to try anything.

Many thanks for any help you can give, much appreciated.

Ria :D

Kay
19-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Ria has Eddie been neutered and if so at what age? If he hasn't it could be a form of marking his territory. Even neutering doesn't stop this in all cats. My eldest girl will mark my boyfriends things if he leaves them around but doesn't do it anything of mine. Just a thought.

Moli
19-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Does he have access to a litter tray??

Leesy
19-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Never really had problems of that sort, so can`t help you there i`m afraid:?

Leesy
19-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry I also meant to say I hope that you get the problem sorted out soon.

Shelley123
19-01-2010, 11:50 PM
sorry don't realy have any suggestions other than keeping the Cats out of your sons room, i know this is easier said than done;)
Just after christmas our 12 year old cat climbed onto our bed in the morning whilst my husband was still in it. The cat suddenly squatted and weed. Another time he settled next to me on the settee again in the morning and weed on me. To say i was shocked is an understatement.

charliebubs
20-01-2010, 02:34 PM
My siamese boy has weed and pood on my bed before - although it has been related to times of stress I think.

However, when I came back from holiday a couple of years ago he also peed on my suitcase!

I think it is a form of territory marking and, as Kay says, even neutering doesn't stop it. In fact my boy was neutered before he started! Plus, I have 4 litter trays around the house, so there's really no excuse.

I have to keep my bedroom door closed at all times now - except when I'm in bed.

To date.......he hasn't done it when I've been in bed :)

Best of luck finding a solution.

dandysmom
20-01-2010, 05:16 PM
No experience with this, sorry; all I can say is good luck; hope you can get to the bottom of it.

RRR
20-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone. He was neutered mid December. I've been keeping the door shut since it happened, really dont want to risk it happening again!

MadCatLady
20-01-2010, 09:28 PM
It is a marking thing or he's stressed i'm afraid.... Have you tried Feliway diffusers to just see if that helps coz i'll tell you now you won't keep Eddie outta that bedroom forever if thats where he wants to go!!! Sorry.... :?

RigbyBigBear sometimes has an incident when he's feeling poorly with cystitis too..... Quinn (the newest) also done this a couple of times when he first arrived, but I have fosters coming & going lots anyway, Quinn thinks he can be Top Cat and this sometimes effects them too! (Bear thinks otherwise!!!) :twisted: