PDA

View Full Version : Missing Cat & Elasticated Collars

Sugarant
15-01-2010, 06:03 PM
We've been in our new house for 3 months and Merlin's managed to lose 6 collars + engraved tags in that time. He's worked out how to yank at them in just the right way to break the safety catches, which really doesn't need much pressure in the first place.

I've been trawling the online shops but none of them have the collars with the elasticated bit instead of the catch (so it doesn't break easily but they can wriggle out if it gets caught) but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where they might sell these?

The reason I'm asking is that he went out last night and hasn't come back and I'm absolutely petrified that if someone has found him or run him over, they'll assume he's a stray and won't bother to get him scanned for a microchip. I beginning to hate him going outside but he gets quite aggressive if he doesn't.

Mags
15-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Personally I prefer a collar with a safety catch as I've heard of some nasty accidents with 'ordinary' collars.

However if you really didn't want to persist with a safety collar, I think this may be the next best thing ....... an all elastic one which would stretch enough to allow the cat to get its head free if the collar was caught on anything.

http://www.coolcatcollars.co.uk/bluered-elasticated-softweave-cat-collar-by-ancol-217-p.asp

Please let us know what you decide on ....:)

angieh
15-01-2010, 07:18 PM
That looks like a good collar doesn't it? Pip has a safety catch type collar and is continually managing to get it off. Atm he has only lost it indoors and we've found it again. Kizzy had a wonderful collar with telephone number and postcode on it but that got lost the first time she went out in it. Our neighbour's labrador found the collar up the bridlepath and ripped it to bits. Luckily Kizzy was home by then, minus collar.

I'm so sorry, I forgot to say that I do sincerely hope your Merlin comes home safe very soon.

Sugarant
15-01-2010, 09:10 PM
UPDATE: After I bellowed out of the upstairs window, Merlin finally came home about 6.30 in a bit of a state, so I had to rush him to the emergency vet. He was staggering a bit, with a red, runny, swollen eye and a pink ear. Vet thinks he was clobbered and stunned by something.

Phoenix
15-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Glad to hear Merlin's back :D

cats' staff
15-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Glad he's back and do hope he is OK. Give him a gentle head scratch from me!

angieh
15-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Poor Merlin - I do hope he recovers well. What a worry.

Sugarant
15-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Watching him being examined by the vet was as bad as taking my daughter for jabs. Little tyke gave me quite a fright.

Am locking him in the house now. Collars may now be unnecessary. ;-)

That said, the one posted by Mags is just what I was looking for. Must've been looking with the wrong words.

Mags
15-01-2010, 10:10 PM
So pleased Merlin has returned but sorry to hear he has been in some kind of scrape:(

I hope he'll feel better soon...

Sugarant
28-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Merlin is much better now thanks.

I bought one of those Ancol collars and it's fantastic. We tested the stretchability to make sure he could wiggle free and it feels quite loose, but he's been wearing it for 10 days and it's still on! The safety catch ones never lasted more than 2 days. Thanks Mags!

Elaine
28-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Glad Merlin is back and well but I personally wouldnt use an elasticated collar, cats often find that they cannt wriggle free from them if the get snagged on something and end up with legs caught through them in an atempt to escape, resulting in some horrific injuries including amputations.

dandysmom
28-01-2010, 09:03 PM
That's good news! Thanks for letting us know.