PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Tabatha.

farthing
08-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Tabatha is hyperthyroid and FIV positive. Her thyroid is uncontrolled and she is on 30 mg of vidalta a day. You can feel, what we (us and the vets) think is her thyroid and on one side it is heading towards her chest and I think it is starting to affect her because of the size of it, she is often wheezy.
I don't know whether to continue to increasing the meds, apparently there is no limit, or decide now to go for the op. I suppose the goitre will continue to grow anyway. Its just going to be such a hard descision to make because of her FIV as well. I'm not keen on the op anyway because so much can go wrong and with such a big goitre I would imagine it would be easy to damage the parathyroid, but what is the alternative. I have tested out the vet and he is willing to do the op, although concerned about her health issues, he did say they would need to be really careful about infection and I trust them totally. I know something could go wrong and wouldn't blame them, but it is so hard to know what to do. She's not terribly thin, but she gets and extra meal a day out supermarket food because it is full of calories.

Shelley123
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
sorry to hear about Tabathas problem, i don't realy have any advice but just wanted to say hope whatever you decide goes well for her.
I have heard about a treatment using radioactive iodine but don't know wether this would be suitable as i dont think it shrinks the goitre.
Our cat has recently been diagnosed and has started treatment on Felimazole

angieh
08-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I am sorry to hear about Tabatha's goitre farthing but, like Shelley, I can't offer any advice. I am sure that you together with your vet will make the best decision for her.

dandysmom
09-01-2010, 03:05 AM
I'm so sorry too, and also no advice. I know you and your vet will do what is in her best interests, bless her. Do keep us posted .......

farthing
23-01-2010, 10:38 PM
A wee update on Tabatha.
She has been very wheezy again, so I took her to the vet and discussed her growth with him. He had a good feel and doesn't think it is affecting her breathing at all, he is conscerned that the growth may be a malignant tumor and there isn't anything we can do for that. She was given a dose of antibiotic and a brochiodilator, and I had to repeat the injection at 2 day intervals for a week, she seems a lot better since the second injection, but I now don't know what to do next. Do I push to find out what kind of growth she has, does it matter if we can't do anything about it or if it isn't affecting her for just now. I am usually fairly certain of how to go on, but because for her conditions, I don't want to stress her out much or place her open to infection when she is so suseptable already.

Shelley123
23-01-2010, 11:51 PM
sorry to hear about Tabatha but glad to hear she has been better after the second injection. What was the injection for? If the vet doesn't think the growth is affecting her breathing , does he have a suggestion as to what is causing her to wheeze?
If there is nothing that can be done if the growth is malignant i can't see the point in putting Tabatha through an operation.
Our cat Jerry had a hole in the side of his face that wouldnt heal, we were pretty sure it was a cat bite but because it wouldnt heal it eventualy had to be cut out, the vet asked if we wanted the tissue sent off to see if it was some sort of growth, we declined because it wasn't an option for Jerry to have chemo etc.
Sometimes it is better to manage the condition

farthing
24-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Sorry, the injections are antibiotics, which worries me too because she isolated from the others due to her having FIV and I'm concerned her immunity is dropping even futher.

Shelley123
24-01-2010, 12:25 AM
How old is she farthing?

farthing
25-01-2010, 11:01 PM
She's about 15.

Shelley123
25-01-2010, 11:09 PM
How is she doing now ?
Have you had any further thoughts?

farthing
25-01-2010, 11:15 PM
She's definately better, but still raspy. She gets a last injection tonight ( she'll be pleased!) I still think the growth in her throat has something to do with it, but I don't know if I want to risk her being sedated. She is eating well and has put on weight is it isn't affecting her too much. I guess I'll see what this injection does for her and if she is still wheezy, take her back in.

Shelley123
25-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I can understand your worries about sedation. I'm glad she's feeling better and putting on weight, that's a good sign. Has the vet ant idea whats causing her to wheeze?

farthing
26-01-2010, 12:01 AM
They think it is likely to be an infection, especially because she is FIV, and antibiotics have helped before, but she seems worse this times, unless it is becoming a chronic infection due to her immunity becoming more compromised.

Shelley123
28-01-2010, 02:04 PM
How is Tabatha doing?

farthing
29-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Tabatha is doing OK, thanks for asking :D .
She is much less wheezy although not normal, maybe she is just developing these infections and the lump on her thyroid makes them worse.

Shelley123
29-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm glad Tabatha is improving, thanks for the update