PDA

View Full Version : Cat wee!!!

bethheartchris
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi I havent posted here for ages, hope evryone is well and Happy New Year.
I have 4 cats, one i took off my mum late last year, she has settled really well really enjoying the luxury of being allowed in all the time and a fire!! Wowweee!! Anyway with the snow just before christmas she didnt want to go out it seems to use the toilet and weed in my hall and did the other!! I ended up just pulling up the carpet and throwing it, I plan to get new carpet in the next few months. This morning, I came down to her weeing in my lounge. I was not best pleased as you can imagine but accidents happen and I can only guess its because of the snow again. She spent the first 8yrs of her life 90% outside so I cant blame her for taking advantage of the indoors!!
Anyway I dont want to pull up my lounge carpet so I have tried the water and white vinegar mix, i soaked up all the urine first til it was almost dry, washed the area with the mixture, soaked it up, washed it with a fresh mixture, soaked it again and then poured a bit of fresh warm water on soaked it a bit and then left some tissue anda heavy weight on it to soak it, Will this work and will the strong smell of vinegar clear? Any ideas or tips anyone?
Also as I said i intend to get new carpet in the next few months and really dont want her spoiling it (especially as this will be such a treat), I was thinking of getting one of those steam floor cleaners is that any good for this kind of thing!? Any advice is GREATLY recieved!!! :-P

Mags
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
This method has proved to be quite successful ......

Mix 1 part water to 3 parts vinegar. Then dampen the area that was urinated on, with the vinegar-water solution. DON'T BLOT. Here is where most people go wrong. Place something semi-heavy that won't absorb the solution, like a large laminated book, on top of the area you are treating. Let the spot dry. Most people don't put anything over it and then the vinegar just evaporates without taking away the urine smell. But if you do place something on top of it the vinegar will have time to neutralize and evaporate the urine. It will take some time for it to dry, several hours. When it is all dry treat the area again, but with 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Don't forget to put something over it. After it has dried for the second time, the urine smell should be gone. It may take a couple of days for the vinegar smell to go away. This really does work though.

Another method you could try is using biological washing powder ...... 1 part powder to 10 parts water.

If you wanted to try a specific cat urine spray this product (http://www.urine-off.co.uk/shop.html) has also had good reports and can be purchased online.

You haven't mentioned them in your post but I assume you have cat litter trays around the house?

bethheartchris
07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
No i dont have them, as Ive never needed them we have the dog flap and window access oh and constant 24hr rotating human front door to let felines in and out as required lol!! Im thinking now to have one for rosie, maybe to have in evenings just so not to keep creating a situation for her as i dont want her to become scatty, The boys wont use it but i know Keera, rosies mum, will its annoying because id rather them not become dependant on having one available but if it saves my carpet and their nerves it may just have to be implemented!!!!

Mags
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I would definitetly have a litter tray in the house, especially for the night time. I can't imagine many cat's wanting to go out for a pee in the freezing night weather we are getting at the moment:?

bethheartchris
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
My cats are in routine where they go out after tea and do their business, just before bed I call them in and they stay all night til morning, Rosie isnt part of that routine, at her previous home she was outside permanently, very very rarely let in. Here they come and go as they please and she has now taken very nicely to spending her whole day and night on my bed a real luxury for her now after many freezing years, I think she is a bit wary that if she goes out thats it for a long time!!!! Bless her!!! My husband says she has a lot of sleep to catch up on!! She is 9 now so she can enjoy her elder years in warmth!! x

Catkin
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I would suggest getting a litter tray for Rosie, maybe try a hooded litter tray? more privacy for the cat and also you might prefer it also. If you can get her used to the litter tray without the door, then add the door to the litter tray then it should also filter the smell (as long as you have a hooded litter tray that has a filter system). Hooded litter trays are great, we use them for all our cats and you can get ones that go into a corner as well which can be very handy re space.

As for getting rid of the urine smell, good suggestions here. The only other suggestion I have is cleaning the carpet but as you don't have a carpet cleaner and as you are planning on buying a new carpet its probably not worth buying or renting a carpet cleaner. As also suggested many good products to get rid of urine and odour are also available.

Good Luck, hope you get it sorted.

trick
08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
hi there, Does she get on with the other cats or could one of them be preventing her from getting out at the critical moment? Hopfuly its just the cold weather, I know my cat just dashes out to do his biusness and then dasges back in out of the snow. Also I found the steam cleaners just move the dirt and smells around, better with they advice above I think

bethheartchris
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
No she is very settled here, she gets on better with all of my cats than they did before she came! Its funny, but its like she made them a group!! And she even gets on with the dogs, which my male cats dont!! We havent been able to get the tray yet and its been 2 days since her accident and so far so good, ive had to be extra vigilent with her put her out reguarly and making sure she stays downstairs! Thankfully the ragdoll in her is quite strong so i always know where she is lol!! xx Thanks for advice, especially the steam cleaner, that makes sense, she is tearing around playing with her mum as i type, which is lovely as til Rosie came Keera played on her own now she has a playmate, aahhh!! xx