PDA

View Full Version : Dog breeds of a feather stick together?

Kazz
05-01-2010, 05:19 PM
To those of you with dogs.

Do you find your dog plays better/more readily with dogs of the same breed?

I know Sal (SBT) will play with other breeds if the mood takes her but she really enjoyed playing with her half sister Tess...when she was alive and will play happily with one other SBT dog we meet in the park regularly and have known since the puppy parties at the vets. The paly is different. to the way she palys with other breeds....rough but seems so enjyoable like they speak the same language.

I noticed it today when someone with GR passed me and meet another person with GR their dogs played like dogs demented. I notice it with my friends and neighbours young GSD Leo he adores all dogs but seem to have a different something in his play with other GSD's..especially now he is about 13 months old.
s

So do they recognise their own breed....?

Moli
05-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Think they do Kazz, although Maggie plays with Tara, Gyp does not play much, never has....

angieh
05-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Interesting thread - even though I don't know dogs. What about mongrels?

Kazz
05-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Interesting thread - even though I don't know dogs. What about mongrels?

They play with everyone so they don't diz any possible bloodlines. ;)

Its not official just somehting I have noticed although Sal plays happily with my brothers little Westie pup

Elaine
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Cannt say I've really noticed with the assortment of dogs that I walk, will have to wait till Rayne gets out and about and see how she goes...

Although, while walki9ng a schnauzer this morning along the disused railway track, I met 5 other schnauzers before meeting any other breed....

Moli
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Cannt say I've really noticed with the assortment of dogs that I walk, will have to wait till Rayne gets out and about and see how she goes...

Although, while walki9ng a schnauzer this morning along the disused railway track, I met 5 other schnauzers before meeting any other breed....
Must be the breed for that area;)

angieh
05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
They play with everyone so they don't diz any possible bloodlines. ;)

Its not official just somehting I have noticed although Sal plays happily with my brothers little Westie pup

Also potentially they have more friends!

MrsH
06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Morgan will play with anyone! trouble is they don't always want to play with him as he's more than a bit rufty tufty!

Having said that, there does seem to be a special relationship with his own breed, they play especially well together and seem to know when enough's enough for each other, maybe they think there's a mummy cocker somewhere nearby, waiting to tell them off if they get too rough!