PDA

View Full Version : anyone wear contact lenses?

smudgley
27-12-2009, 06:02 PM
just wondered?

I'm going for an eye test soon, not had one for years & years & I'm convinced I may need glasses as I get a lot of headaches & am finding certain things harder to focus on when reading. Just thinking if I do need to wear glasses, I would loose them and break them and think contact lenses may be better. Just wondered if people think they are good?

Moli
27-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I have been wearimg contacts for the past few years, I wear the dailies, put them in, in the morning, and take them out and throw away at night...Must say I love them.....

smudgley
27-12-2009, 06:31 PM
That's good to know Moli. I'm a biit worried about this eye test to be honest, both John & I are going as we've not been for years, but I think we need to. We were both struggling to read something in yellow pages the other day:oops: & said right - eye test here we come. I'm waiting for a free voucher to arrive for mine & once that comes I will book us both in.

Moli
27-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I wore glasses for reading for about 3 years, then when the optician said I needed them for more or less everything, switched to lenses......Best invention ever....Dinahsmum wears the monthly ones...

Kazz
27-12-2009, 07:20 PM
My sister wears the daily ones she adores them better than the glasses which like Moli she wore for about 3 years then told she needed them for everything hence the contact lenses.

I went for an eye test in Oct and was told I had 20-20 vision. Had a free eye test from work due to the computers work I do. No headaches just thought I needed to go.

smudgley
27-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks, very intersting. Yes I too get free eye tests through work (because Guide Dogs has a strong interest in promoting looking after your eyes and as the slogan says having "healthy eyes")

So if I am told I need glasses for reading / driving for example but not all the time, then I couldn't really do contacts could I? Would have to be goggles? I guess contacts only work if you need them all the time?

What's 20-20 vision?

angieh
27-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Just the other side of the coin - I tried contacts 4 times. First time was the hard ones - had to go to London for them in the Dark Ages! I would love to have been able to get on with them. The gas permeable ones were much much better, but my problem was getting up to go to the loo in the morning and needing time to get the things in, so I had to have specs too. Good luck - don't worry about the eye exam, it's OK>

smudgley
27-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks Angie, it's not the actual eye exam that bothers me, it's the results that are frightening me to be honest incase they say... Yes Smudgley, you need to wear glasses! :( Also my Dad has glaucoma, my Mom suffers from pressure on her eyes (similar to glaucoma)

angieh
27-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't worry per se about wearing glasses - although I can appreciate that if you've not had to wear them before it can be an adjustment. I've had to wear mine since age 7, so it's just a part of everyday for me.

smudgley
27-12-2009, 07:54 PM
thanks Angie. :cool:

Moli
27-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Just the other side of the coin - I tried contacts 4 times. First time was the hard ones - had to go to London for them in the Dark Ages! I would love to have been able to get on with them. The gas permeable ones were much much better, but my problem was getting up to go to the loo in the morning and needing time to get the things in, so I had to have specs too. Good luck - don't worry about the eye exam, it's OK>
I also have glasses, which I use in the mornings and in the evenings.....You really need glasses too, if anything happened, if you got an eye infection or the like that stopped you wearing lenses....

Kazz
27-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I was not told 20-20 but was told I had no problems at all needing any follow up. The sayinfg 20-20 is a saying of perfect vision I think. I went because my brother needed glasses last year and my sister already wears them. My Mom has glucomea...and cataracts.

smudgley
27-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I just looked at 20-20 vision, bit complicated what I was reading but basically means you got good eyes. :)

Kazz
27-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I just looked at 20-20 vision, bit complicated what I was reading but basically means you got good eyes. :)
Thats basicaly it.

Kazz
27-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Its something to do with 20ft....but Lord knows what its in the depths of my mind somewhere.
Imagine its a bit like the saying two left feet meaning clumsy...almost

dandysmom
27-12-2009, 09:07 PM
My eyes corrected with IODs after cataract surgery have 20 - 20 vision with glasses. I've worn glasses since I was six, only need them for distance vision. I have never even contemplated contacts ,,, cannot bear the thought of sticking something in my eye ... I had great difficulty even giving myself eyedrops (because of a very strong blink reflex) after the cataract surgeries.

yola
28-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I've worn glasses for about 20 years, 11 of which have been contact lenses - annual, monthly and now daily . . . I wouldn't be without them. They're easy to put in/take out as long as you follow the simple rules. You'll need glasses for first thing in the morning/last thing at night or in the rare event you might get an eye infection.

Dominik (aged 6) has just been prescribed glasses and he's really excited as he's the first in his class to have some.