PDA

View Full Version : Processors whats the difference any clue..anyone?

Kazz
27-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Okay people tell me what is the difference between
a AMD Phenom II Dual Core processor and a
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 processor.....Is it a personal thing or is there a difference? and if so which is best....I need to upgrade my poor computer is 10 years old this year and I want a desktop....I like desktops. I understand the Ram harddrive etc but the processor difference baffles me...http://www.dogsey.com/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif I understand it is basicaly the engine of the computer and a dual core means you can do two things from the same computer different quad core means four thing buut what between a AMD Phenom and a Intel Core? the make?

dandysmom
27-12-2009, 05:22 PM
This calls for an expert like Az! I haven't a clue, actually never heard of either of them, Kazz, as you might know !

smudgley
27-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I have not got a clue, we have just bought a new PC though, because our other one was about 7 or 8 years old and was getting a bit sleepy. We've got a lovely one, (had it about 3 weeks I think) but couldn't tell you anything about technical stuff on it.

We also bought Lucy a laptop for Christmas and because Ashleigh has had our old PC in her room, there's no fighting over who gets to use the computer anymore, it's great! :-D

EmmaG
27-12-2009, 06:15 PM
yes Kazz AMD and Intel are just different brands. Bit like having a Ford car or a Nissan.

Kazz
27-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you Emma.

I may just give my brother the money tell him to buy me something.

smudgley
27-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you Emma.

I may just give my brother the money tell him to buy me something.

That's a good idea. Kazz you know my friend Susie (CP) well her auntie gave Susie the money & asked her to buy her (the auntie) a laptop and said could Susie get it because she knew what she was looking for, so when Susie purchased the laptop, the auntie said ... it's for you Susie for Christmas :cool:

Kazz
27-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I am not giving him my computer.....don't give him ideas there Smudgley.

smudgley
27-12-2009, 08:21 PM
:-D ... no but it would take all the hassle out of decision making and if he knows what he is doing, go for it, just give him the dosh & hope for the best. ;)

EmmaG
29-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Kazz my other half just got a fantastic bargin at PC World today a HP Pavillion computer £100 off the RRP of £499 - he got it for £399

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/as-seen-on-tv-09-34

He reckons it is a very good price for the amount of computer you get. Also HP is a good make.

Kazz
29-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Kazz my other half just got a fantastic bargin at PC World today a HP Pavillion computer £100 off the RRP of £499 - he got it for £399

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/as-seen-on-tv-09-34

He reckons it is a very good price for the amount of computer you get. Also HP is a good make.

I love you....will have a look now Ta

EmmaG
30-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Love you too Karen!!!!!

Thought you might find it usefull, even the shop assistant said it was a very purchase.