PDA

View Full Version : Sucking

mandyb
27-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone know why my cat roxy keeps sucking her blanket she around 15 months old now. Will she grow out of it? or is it something she will always do? Thanks Mandy.

niki71uk
27-12-2009, 11:44 AM
she might never,its probaby a comfort thing,my younger cat does it to a fleecy top of mine,at nite time she does it just before going to sleep.i have my fleece lying at the top of my bed nxt to my pillow:lol:

mandyb
27-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks think you might be right about the comfort thing.

niki71uk
27-12-2009, 11:55 AM
she will be 2 in march so dont worry bout it

smudgley
27-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Yes, it's a comfort thing for sure.

I know a few cats that have strange comfort habits, including my youngest cat who loves my daughters dressing gown, when she was very young she would snuggle into it like a baby & if she wouldn't settle, we'd find it & she'd settle straight away like a baby with a favourite blanky, she loves it.

mandyb
27-12-2009, 12:29 PM
i was wondering if it may have been something to do with the fact she was a stray and maybe came away from her mother to soon. But if you say your cats do it maybe its not that then.

Kim
27-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Two of my cats did this, Rosie used to suck on a particular spot on her fleecy bed, Sidney still does it sometimes, definitely a comfort thing, I wouldn't worry.

smudgley
27-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Lots of people will say it's because a cat has been taken from their mother too young, I would think that is an old wives tale (in my opinion anyway) .... One of my other cats suckles from the dog! always has done, that's her comfort thing. (weird but kind of nice in a funny sort of way) :roll:

All 4 of my cats left their mothers at 6 weeks old, some would say this is too young. But for me in each case it was considered the right thing to do.

dandysmom
27-12-2009, 05:19 PM
It's not uncommon in cats; some outgrow it, some don't. Nothing to worry about.

pcspik
30-12-2009, 03:16 PM
The only thing I would say (everyone is pretty much spot on) is keep an eye on her just in case the fibres get stuck internally and cause a blockage (it's not exactly common problem but it can happen). Otherwise ignore it!

Shelley123
02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
One of my cats used to suckle our Dalmation. The dog didn't mind but it did look bizarre.
Another of my cats used to suck your jumper but only cream or white ones, i always wondered if her mum had a cream tum ;)

jandarlo
16-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Mandyb my new kitten "Possum" has taken a liking for one of my husband's socks and yes sucks it madly when he is settling down at night. He also uses his front paws to knead it, just like he would on his mother. I have been wondering if it will go on and on, as he does a lot of dribbling at the same time. He is only 10 weeks old, just a baby at the moment. Maybe it is his dummy (soother) as in a human child, because some kids want one and others don't! I'll keep you all posted as to developments. he took him at 5 weeks old as the man who had them was going to neuter him before we took him!!!!! He will be done at 6 months old. Just bear with it Mandyb.

jandarlo
16-01-2010, 12:16 PM
mandyb Correction 'We took him at 5 weeks old'

dandysmom
16-01-2010, 04:56 PM
jandarlo, a nice feature here is that if you notice a typo or something you want to change, you can click on "edit" below your post and fix it. Sorry if you already knew that.