PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Christmassy things

Phoenix
23-12-2009, 10:19 PM
For some reason we've discovered that Dylan's scared of quite a lot to do with Christmas, if we're wrapping something up Dylan will dash off in terror and straight out of the cat flap and away, same with rustly things e.g. plastic.

When he was in the rescue we thought he was being a bossy boots towards his brother, but because he's scared of certain people my mum thinks he was maybe living with a family in an abusive relationship that broke down because he and his brother were given up due to a relationship breakdown, but Mum thinks the reason why he kept pushing in front was to either try to protect his brother or test the ground out before letting Kevin have a look in (as though because he was the more confident one he felt he needed to protect Kevin)

We've noticed that although Dylan's fine with most people he doesn't like people charging round (he runs off and hides), people who sit quietly he's happy to snuggle up to. My friend who was here about a week ago he really took to and decided to sleep on her bed with her.

He likes to be in constant contact with people otherwise he starts crying "Where are you I can't find you" particularly at bedtime.

If he had been living with a couple who one was abusing the other, would he have been so trusting from the start and if chances are it wasn't an abusive relationship what makes him so nervous of Christmassy things and certain people yet take so well to others? Since we've got to know him there's not much of his history that really adds up right.

He also doesn't think much to Christmas songs or carols, he'll get up and walk off if we play Christmas songs or carols.

Can anyone explain any of that please? Sorry for such a long post but there was quite a lot I wanted to get off my chest and ask you all :oops: :?

kado
23-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I dont know why but i can understand where Dylan is comming from. If a animal wether a dog or a cat has been abused in the past before you get it they do remember. My first dog we got at 6 months whenever you picked up a news paper he ran off and hid. My grandmas's dog when you went to say goodbye growled hated anybody going near her. A dog who we used too look after a lot lived in ahouse with sometimes arguments and yes we did argue he cowered on you knee. Simon was exactly the same he hated anybody sitting near me and one day my daughter did wasnt doing anything and he bit her nose. With the music if something bad has happened when it was playing that could effect them. Some people think animals are dumb they are not they are such inteligent creatures.
Ps can you give Dylan a christmas hug from me please

dandysmom
23-12-2009, 11:11 PM
It does sound a if he had been in a stressful situation before you rehomed him; that would make him wary of noisy people, and even odd noises like crinkly paper. And cats do love routine: there's a lot going on in the house at thus season that normally doesn't happen, and it probably does make him edgy and more inclined to be spooky, Poor little guy, give him a hug from me too. It will be over soon and the house back to normal.

angieh
23-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I always wonder how some animals who have come from dreadfully cruel and neglectful backgrounds can every regain trust in people, but they do - I've seen TV progs of lovely natured animals being devoted to kind new owners, but some things still remain to trigger their memory of worse times. The home Dylan came from may not necessarily have been cruel to him, but may have had blazing arguments which would explain noisy situations/singing. I can't think why he would be particularly scared of crinkly things - but I don't think it's uncommon. I'm sure I've read on this Forum about cats being scared of carrier type bags.

Cuddles and chin tickles from me to Dylan. It's a good thing Secret Santa didn't send him a crinkly bag - Pip still loves his and he and Kizzy trying to get in it together is very funny!

dandysmom
24-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Angie, that is so true! Remember little Onyx who was so terrified of people that it took Carolyn and me almost a year to restore her faith in humans? Before she vanished she'd gotten so comfortable that she'd flop down and let me rub her tummy, and she talked and talked. When we first found her she was so scared she wouldn't come to a plate of food as hungry as she was unless you were very far away from her. It takes a long time for them to get over the fear, and they never really forget it.

Phoenix
24-12-2009, 05:20 PM
He's been trusting of people ever since the day I met him, surely he wouldn't be happy with practically everybody though :? ie trying to be best friends with anyone he can get near (exception being young children)