PDA

View Full Version : Overlicking.....?

TomJerry
21-12-2009, 10:09 PM
my cat pebble (who I adopted when she entered my garden all lost poor thing) is persistently over licking, so she has baldy bits but not sores.

checked at vet and don't appear to be a medical problem, done all the flea stuff etc...

any advise for an over licker ?

thinking a jacket or something but not sure she will put up it

ta

calismum
21-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Initially I thought fleas or allergy, but if vet says all ok then I can only suggest she's perhaps stressed about something - maybe her past, not necessarily her present. Did vet do a skin scraping? Could be mites.

It could be an allergy to something you use in the house, detergent on bedding, carpet cleaner, aerosol spray.

Ask the vet if they'd try an anti histamine to see if it is allergy related.

Does she get outside or do you keep her indoors? Could be that causes her some stress.

Good luck at trying to get to the bottom of it, please keep us posted on progress.

dandysmom
21-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Did the vet discuss food allergies? Some cats react to foods with corn or gluten. If you think it might be stress related, have you considered using Feliway or Rescue Remedy?

TomJerry
22-12-2009, 08:06 PM
yes could be food, could be her past will be a bit of investigation me thinks....

She currently generally indoors but they have an outdoor cat pen so get out there now and again with access to indoor shed should the weather get bad. She doesn't seem to pine to be out though!

Rescue Remedy? mmm intersting how do you use that on a cat?

Done all the fleas and mites bit and cortosonne injection recently when we went on hols for cattery to put things back a bit but I think now its worn off back we are with her licking.

She is a fantastic cat so cuddley in fact very clingey to me and suckles my shoulder when she can....

I think stress but thats so difficult to treat....

thanks all

TomJerry
22-12-2009, 08:08 PM
just checking out feliway too... interesting

many thanks

dandysmom
22-12-2009, 09:17 PM
It really does seem to calm stressy cats, hope it will work for Pebble. Let us know how it goes; would be nice to see a pic of her if you could post one ... we do love pics!

TomJerry
22-12-2009, 10:55 PM
excellent ta ordered some online will keep you informed .... and try and get pic posted to

;)

dandysmom
22-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Good luck, hope it will help her. Do you have your pics in Photobucket?

pcspik
24-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Rescue Remedy? mmm intersting how do you use that on a cat?

The easiest way is when you are filling up the water bowl is to put 4 drops in the water.

Rescue Remedy is meant for humans - you can get it in either Boots or Holland and Barratt. Some independent health food shops also stock it. However it is perfectly safe for cats. Do make sure that you get the liquid and not the spray or pastilles. It wont work straight away, though as it does take a while to get into their system.