PDA

View Full Version : Renalzin

pcspik
18-12-2009, 07:05 PM
My vet gave me this today (for free!) on the condition that I tell him regularly how well he (my male) is doing on it. I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and how it worked for their cat?

Elaine
18-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Never tried it but what's it for and what is it?;)

pcspik
18-12-2009, 08:17 PM
It is a food supplement for cats with CRF. It apparently reduces the amount of phosphorous being absorbed by the kidneys which in turn slows down CRF. It also contains Vitamin E and koalin.

It is a paste supplied in a pump format, which goes either on top or mixed with ordinary renal food (either biscuits or meat).

I never heard of it either, until today. It's a proper sized bottle, not a trial sample or anything, which was very good of the vet.

Elaine
18-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Excellent, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with that. Thankyou for mentioning it.

dandysmom
18-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes. do please let us know how it goes!

pcspik
18-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh and here is their website

http://www.renalzin.co.uk/

I dont know how much it retails for, as online pet medicine websites vary (and probably vets too). It says on the bottle that 2-4 pumps a day for 6 months is sufficient (my vet told me to use 2 pumps a day, spilt into 1 pump for the am feed and 1 pump for the pm feed) and before using, and after 6 months of use, to consult a vet. It says that (on their website, not the bottle) it can be used on non renal specific food, though for some reason (not that I am complaining) my vet wanted someone with a cat who was on renal food.

I used it for the first time earlier on today on my male, who seems not to be put off by it, he ate his meat just as enthusiastically as without the stuff. I did mix it in however, I will try without mixing it, just in case it does make a difference (to my male, that is, not the way it works).

I am using the smaller bottle btw.

pcspik
24-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Well I am having some sort of success with it. Trouble is that he wont eat his biscuits with the Renalzin mixed in. He will eat his biscuits somewhat reluctantly if you spread it on top - though half the time he eats around it! Naughty boy. However mixed in with the meat he eats the full dose.

He seems a little bit more energetic as he normally is. He never plays much anyway, but he is playing a little. I caught him watching the washing going around the washing machine and tapping the glass with one paw the other day (which is something in the year and 3 months I have had him he has never done before). His drinking is the same (but over the past 4 months he has drank less so he doesnt drink much anyway - he is not dehydrated though.).

One thing I do notice is that he is using the litter tray less often and urinating less often (his urine appears normal so it's doubtful that he has any problems in that department). His faeces are also more solid (he has always produced semi solid ones) too.

I don't know if that is whether or not it is working properly (bearing in mind he is not getting a full dose), or whether it is a coincidence, but that is what he seems like. I just wish he would eat it with his biscuits. He moans for me for ages to see if I would give him something else, I just ignore him and try to shoo him away if he tries to steal my other cat's biscuits (she does not have CRF).

At the moment they are in the cattery. I took the Renalzin with him so they are going to keep feeding him with that. He is on his own in the pen so he has no choice in regards biscuits - either wait until afternoon for his meat (he is used to being fed biscuits am and meat pm) or eat them. I will wait and see what they say he has been like (I left him some toys on the rare chance he does want to play).

Be warned if someone does try it that it may clog up the pump (each time I use it I have to wipe the bottle) and also it may stain. It does not say anything about staining on the bottle but I accidentally got some on my t shirt the other day and it has stained that. Fortunately it was not my best one. It's quite easy to use though.

I think that is about it, though if anyone has any specific questions, just post, and I will try my best to answer them.