PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to feed kitten food?

angieh
17-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Thought I'd ask this question because I know you lot are well informed and interested in all things kitty!

Pip has been fed on Hills Kitten food more or less since I got him - although he did have some Nature's Way wet kitten food at the beginning. He seems to much prefer Kizzy's Hills Adult and I am wondering whether I really do need to keep him on the kitten food for the next 6 months or just wait until he's eaten his current supply and buy the adult food from then on.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Moli
17-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Ihave never fed kitten food, mine and all the foster have adult...

niki71uk
17-12-2009, 09:33 PM
i gave up on the kitten food when cass was bout 4 mnths,she was eating tobys anyway

kado
17-12-2009, 09:52 PM
I am wondering the same with maiseys kittens. They are nearly 17 wks old now and can jump on the sides where we feed the other ones and if we put it on the floor its worse they just eat it up before i can get too it. They are currentley on Whiskas kitten and the others whiskas adult

Mags
17-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Cassie used to have Whiskas kitten food when we first brought her home but was often sick after it. My vet said it was too rich for her and to feed her on the basic cheaper supermarket food which was blander, not Whiskas or Felix as she couldn't cope with it.

I kept her on the cheaper brands until she was about 6 months and then gradually changed her over to Whiskas.......she has been eating it ever since with no ill effects.

dandysmom
17-12-2009, 11:14 PM
When Dandy came I got kitten food, which he ignored completely and pushed the two girls aside to eat their adult food (he was a very pushy determined kitten), whereas the girls both ate his kitten food with gusto! I gave up and fed them all the same. Never seemed to bother him at all, grew like a weed and healthy; never sick.

kado
17-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I am going too wait till after xmas then gradulaly change Maisey's babies over but i will still have it for Smokey who is 5 wks younger.

alexgirl73
18-12-2009, 10:32 AM
none of mine lasted long on kitten food lol. They always went for the adult stuff (except Teddy of course, but she was a special case!). And my foster kittens get Hills science kitten dry, but they all eat the adult wet :)

angieh
18-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I think you all have reassured me. I shall feed the rest of the bag and then go over to the adult, which will be easier as Pip won't have to try and steal Kizzy's food! He is well grown at 3.7 kg and I have no worries about his health.

Is it just all hype then, do you think?

kado
18-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Great question Angieh. I was thinking of posting before you did. I also am more reasured about putting them on adult food. I am more bothered the other way the big ones especialy maisey eats the kitten food if i let her and it doesnt do her bottom any good. I do think it is a bit of hype but i always want the best for my kitty's

angieh
18-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Yes, that's understandable Jane. Kizzy also seems to like kitten bics - and she's meant to be losing weight!!!

The vet recommended kitten food when I first took Pip in for his check up and jabs and gave me a sample so I think the vet surgeries must be given an incentive to recommend a particular company's food to owners.

calista24
19-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Cali is 6 months old next week, and has been on Royal Canin Kitten dry, with a bit of IAMS wet twice a day.

She seems pretty happy on that, and we give her Hills kitten as a treat!

Interesting to read this, but from what i've read, kittens need a higher fat content for development, which this is supposed to provide..

She's content,energetic and looks good,but we'll keep an open eye to adding some adult in the new year! :D