PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please, Charlies driving us mad!!

Frog
16-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Charlie scratches at the bedroom door every single night, and he's driving us insane. If we let him into the bedroom he stops us from sleeping by pulling my hair out, playing with my necklace, chewing my earrings - our eyes etc!! He wakes us up scratching if we leave him outside, and hes pulling the carpet up next to every door. What can we do with him, Hes stopping us sleeping?!:( Thanks xx

Elaine
16-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Can you shut him in the kitchen or another room further away from your bedroom over night?
Maybe a wee compaion to keep him ocupied.....
You might also try giving him his tea just before you go to bed and a good play with a laser pen or something to tire him out.
I'm sure some one else may have some better suggestions but that's all I can think of at the moment....sorry if it doesnt help...

Frog
16-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Can you shut him in the kitchen or another room further away from your bedroom over night?
Maybe a wee compaion to keep him ocupied.....
You might also try giving him his tea just before you go to bed and a good play with a laser pen or something to tire him out.
I'm sure some one else may have some better suggestions but that's all I can think of at the moment....sorry if it doesnt help...

Thanks for replying :D We feel really horrible locking him in the kitchen as he'd hate it, but thats soon gonna be the only option:( He has a friend, Daisy - Who sleeps through the night like an angel. Tiring him out only seems to work until 4am, but i'm willing to give that a better go!! Thanks for the advice :D XX

Elaine
16-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Fingers crossed you get a good nights sleep xxx

Jasmine
16-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I put Chino in the kitchen when we go to bed at midnight - he has a small amount of food, some cat milk, water, litter tray and a comfy bed (plus a large shoe box which he enjoys sleeping in) - he is usually quiet then until 6.30 - 7.30 am.

We had him last year at the age of 12 from a rescue - the first night he kept us awake all night scratching the door, the next night for a shorter time and by the end of the week we had no problem.

I have always put my cats in the kitchen at night with no ill effects at all - in fact Chino is now often waiting at the kitchen door at 12 midnight waiting to go to bed.

angieh
16-12-2009, 09:17 PM
The other option is crating - with a litter tray, comfy bed, food and water. He may cry to start with and you have to be determined not to let him out. Getting him used to the crate - all supplied with the door left open during the day is perhaps a good idea, especially with an older cat. Let him get to associate it with security and comfort. It's not meant to be any sort of punishment.

dandysmom
16-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Meep's cats used to do that; she just kept the bedroom door closed and hung tough; they finally got the idea and stopped clawing and scratching at the rug/door. I have always found giving mine a romp before bedtime and a snack helped them settle. But I leave/left my door open for them as they all slept peacefully in bed with me till morning. Except Dandy, but that's another story