PDA

View Full Version : Its a wonderful life at the cinema

Kazz
15-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I just booked tickets to see Its a wonderful life at the pictures, on Friday afternoon, its showing at the old Electric cinema in B'ham...over this weekend. Its the cinema's 100th birthday this month and I thought the chance of seeing the film as it was designed to be shown on the big screen was to good a chance to miss.

I like the electric cinema they show "films you would want to see"

yola
15-12-2009, 12:15 PM
How wonderful! I wish we had an old cinema like that - sadly all the ones in Reading have been bulldozed and we have a faceless cavern called Vue :( Even the University has closed its cinema club - the only place you could get to see films that didn't fit the mainstream norm.

It's a Wonderful Life is one of my all-time favourite films, brings tears to my eyes each time I watch it, even though I've seen it many, many times.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy it :D

MrsH
15-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I absolutely love that film, I have the DVD and watch it at some point every Christmas. I first saw it in the 60s on tv and it was a great favourite of my father too. I've never seen it on a big screen though, it'll be lovely, have a great weekend.

Kazz
15-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Taking Katie and Sophie.....they have no idea....I am going to force them to watch it. :) Then we are going on the Birmingham wheel and a walk round the Christmas German market, then for a curry....I have had enough Christmas meals and have one on Thursday and one on Sunday so a Curry will be most welcome.The cinema you can hire sofa's...it really really nice.

Kazz
15-12-2009, 01:08 PM
This is the link to the cinema..http://www.theelectric.co.uk/

yola
15-12-2009, 01:15 PM
This is the link to the cinema..http://www.theelectric.co.uk/

Fabulous! Do you know, I think I may have visited this during its 'Tivoli' incarnation in the 80s . . . we were very into gothic horror and I'm sure we went several times to what was a real fleapit in Brum to see some old silent horror films.

It certainly looks like a fabulously glamorous place to see a film :D

angieh
15-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow - a proper Deco Cinema and an absinthe fountain!!! How decadent.

PoshPuss
15-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes its a shame about the old 'fleapits' going. We used to have one in every village in the valley, now we have to drive to Showcase or Vue, some miles from home :(
Love IAWL... my fav Christmas film, and because its in b&w it has such a warm, old-fashioned feel to it :)

Kim
15-12-2009, 08:19 PM
The cinema sounds great Kazz, hope you have a very enjoyable time.

What is the Christmas German market like Kazz, I was thinking of going myself?

Kazz
15-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Have not been this year Angie going Friday.....will let you know though.