PDA

View Full Version : cat is going insane

jappykins
07-12-2009, 12:00 AM
We just moved into my boyfriends apartment about a month ago. He has a dog, and damien has never expierenced a dog before. Zeus(the dog) hasn't done anything to harm the cat, he really hasn't even chased it. He just wants to make friends. Aside from that he was doing really well the first two weeks, then he discovered a way into the drop ceiling. Now he barely comes down from there, and when he does he gets all crazy. Meowing constantly, like he is in pain or really, really scared. He's afraid of me when he comes down, Like he doesnt even know who i am. I keep on trying to barracade the way up to the ceiling, but everything i do seems to fail. I guess my question is, Why does he get so insane when he comes down from the ceiling? some one please help me

angieh
07-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Hello jappykins! I would suggest that your cat is very unsettled, with a new home and frightening new smells, including dog. He needs somewhere he feels safe which seems to be the ceiling atm. Can you find him somewhere else you could make into "his space" where he can learn to feel settled again? You might like to try something like a Feliway diffuser to help him de-stress. Cats don't like change and it will take him quite a while to settle. When he comes down from the ceiling, he is getting stressed all over again which could explain his behaviour. I hope he can become more settled soon.

jappykins
07-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I do have an entire room for the cats that the dog is not allowed into. He was using is as a sanctuary for a while but when he discovered he could get up to the ceiling that was it for him. I know that is his place for feeling safe but, to me it is completely unsafe. Wires and pipes everywhere, i have no idea if the land lord or a previous tennant had put any rodent poison up there. The ceiling tiles arent exactly sturdy, he has fallen from the ceiling into my bedroom, luckily he fell onto the bed, and while walking around up there a flourscent light fell out of the fixture. I was considering on getting a feliway defusers but the room i have designated for the cats had no electrical outlet.