PDA

View Full Version : Maisy Moo`s worrying time.

Leesy
25-11-2009, 02:16 PM
It all started when she was spayed at the beginning of August, the spaying its self went fine and her recovery was perfect there was no problems there, but she started with loose poops and was given a course of antibiotics which cleared the poops up nicely.
After a couple of weeks she started doing alot of scratching and excessive licking of her belly, legs and paws, I then noticed little red lumps in her ears where she was scratching alot, so of course a trip to the vets, the vet said there wasn`t any sign of fleas or earmites which I knew it woudln`t be as she is flead regulary whith advocate which does both, he said that she could have started with a food allergy so she was put on a low allergy food.
The scratching and licking got worse she was literaly scratching her ears raw they where oozing with blood and she had to big bald patches just above her eyes. She was precribed more antibiotics and had a steroid injection and also prescribed antihistamines and also a topical cream.
I was in tears and so distressed for her it was a nightmare tying to stop her from scratching them she even had to have the soft claws put on which she wasn`t comfy with :roll: .
After about 3 weeks she was all nicely healed up and on the mend even though she was still grooming herself alot (not frantically like before though).
She then went of her food and started being sick, so of we went back to the vets again, the vet said her abodmen was very painful when he touched it so gave her some painkillers and wanted to see her again the next day to see if she had eaten or if the pain had eased off.
Next day she was still in just as much pain so the vet said he wanted to do a scan the next day to see if anything showed up, in the meantime she gave her a morphine based painkiller which had her on cloud nine :roll: .
When she had the scan there was a blockage showing in the intestine that needed operating on straight away as it was that big there was no way it was going to pass through. well as you can imagine I was in pieces.
The blockage turned out to be a big hairball from all her over grooming, but while operating the vet said that they had had to drain alot of fluid from her tummy that appeared to have come from the lymp nodes in her intestines so he had taken a bioposy from one and sent it of for testing along with the fliud he had drained. he was testing for Tumours, FIP, Cat Leukemia and Aids, they all came back negative thank god.
But next she started with what we thought was a big hernia along the big wound on her tummy, so off she went for another op to sort that out, it wasn`t a hernia but very large blood clots that had gone hard, they removed them but said that she was to stay confined in a cage at home for 10 days while everything healed, she drove us crazy she didn`t like it in there at all.

Pleased to report that she is now doing well and is back to her usual cheeky self:lol: :lol: , but it has been a very traumatic time.

Told you it was too long a story for the daily Yola LOL:shock: .

angieh
25-11-2009, 02:28 PM
OMG what a dreadfully upsetting time you and Maisy have had. I am so sorry to hear about it all - I hadn't seen you post for a long time and wondered on several occasions if you, and the two Ms were OK. Glad to hear she's on the mend now.

yola
25-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow, poor you . . . and poor little Maisy :( I'm so glad that this is all behind you both now and she's fully back to health.

My Darcy had a blockage like Maisy's. He too had to have a section of intestine removed under emergency surgery (thank heaven for insurance), and a scar running the length of his tummy.

Leesy
25-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Angie and Yola, it is such a big relief that she is on the mend, glad Mr Darcey was OK after his blockage Yola.
And yes thank goodness for insurance as the grand total for Maisy`s little adventure was around £1,300.00 pounds:shock: :shock: , but even if she wasn`t insured it would have been worth every penny or rather pounds to get her well again.:D :D

calismum
25-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Poor wee soul, how distressing for you and for her.

Thanks goodness all back to normal and she is her usual self.

Moli
26-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Poor baby has really been through it, so pleased she is now back to normal...

dandysmom
26-11-2009, 12:37 AM
What a nightmare! So glad to hear she's back to herself now.

Leesy
26-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks everybody, it is such a relief having her back to her usual cheeky self;)

angieh
26-11-2009, 01:27 PM
It's really nice to have you back too Leesy!

Leesy
26-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Awwwwww thanks Angie, it`s really kind of you to say that, and it is nice to be back, Thanks:D :D

MrsH
26-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Poor girl, what a horrible time she's had. I do hope all the bad times are well and truly behind her now!

Leesy
26-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks MrsH, so do both Maisy and I, and I also think the insurance company will do as well:D .