PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about Samson.

farthing
24-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I thought I'd found a mobile lump between Samson's shoulder blades, but could only feel it sometimes, so I thought I'd mention it to the vet when he was in for his blood sample. On Sunday night I found a loose lump on his left side and last night a very hard one on his right side. I took him in to the vet this evening and we found another 4-5 over his body. The vet has taken a sample to send off, and has no idea what it might be, but I am really worried he has some kind cancer.
We lost Snowy, our first cat, to a tumour which developed in the fat tissue beside his ribs, it was a form of bone cancer and as it grew the lump started to have bone in it, it finally spread and he had to be PTS.
So you will understand why I'm so worried, anybody seen anything like this before!

angieh
24-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I've never seen anything like that farthing - fingers crossed and positive well vibes for Samson.

Elaine
24-11-2009, 08:42 PM
So sorry to read this Louise, have no pearls of wisdom to share on the matter butg wish Samason all the very best xxx

dandysmom
24-11-2009, 09:11 PM
How awful! Never heard of this; I do hope it isn't what you fear ...... poor Samson.

Moli
24-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Not something I ahve come across either, everyhting crossed they are harmless...

yola
25-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Hoping the lumps are benign and Samson makes a full recovery from them. Fingers crossed.

Tink
25-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Wishing Samson the best

calismum
25-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Can't help either. Only thing I can add is, one of the farm dogs has a small mobile lump on her chest. Vet said as he can feel all round it and it doesn't seem to be attached it will be ok. We only need to worry if it gets bigger or becomes less mobile.

I do hope they are fatty lumps and nothing to be concerned about.

moonstone
26-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Could it possibly be multiple abcessing:( I have seen this in rabbits (not the same i know) where an abcess "seeds" and spreads through the body but must admit i.ve seen/heard of it in cats:( or maybe an infection in the lymph glands:(

Gumby Cat
26-11-2009, 06:17 PM
How worrying for you, I do hope the lumps turn out to be benign. Fingers crossed for Samson.

farthing
26-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm still waiting for Samson's results, and there are more lumps appearing. They are not soft like fatty lumps they are hard and he now has some on his flank and underside. The vet did an FNA and nothing really came out so I don't think they are abscesses and they are in different places, not linked to the lymph nodes. I am going nuts waiting, and I don't even know if they will find anything on the slides, if not I suppose the next step is a biopsy.
He seems bright enough and his thyroid seems to be under control, I'm hoping the results are in tomorrow.:(

dandysmom
26-11-2009, 09:19 PM
That is really bizarre. I hope a biopsy will help sort it and possibly result in a diagnosis ....that is so worrying for you.

Leesy
27-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Fingers crossed here for you that the results come in tomorrow and everything is OK, it is so awful having to wait for results, it nearly drove me insane waiting for Maisy`s results when she was poorly:cry: .
Good luck.

caterina83
27-11-2009, 05:54 AM
I hope you get to sort everything out quickly :(...I will be keeping Samson in my thoughts and prayers...

dandysmom
27-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Any news yet?

farthing
27-11-2009, 11:31 PM
No, thanks for asking. I guess I will have to wait until monday now.:(

Leesy
27-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Sorry to hear that, with luck they will be in first thing Monday morning.:)

dandysmom
28-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Fingers crossed here for news ........

random
28-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Just caught this, how odd, hope he's ok and hugs to you while you are waiting for the results. x

tricia1470
28-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Just seen this thread, i hope Samson is okay, fingers andd well everything crossed x

Gumby Cat
29-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Fingers and toes crossed for Samson. It's awful having to wait so long isn't it?

dandysmom
29-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Will be thinking of you and Samson tomorrow ......

Leesy
29-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Will be thinking of you and Samson tomorrow ......

Us too, good luck for tomorrow.

farthing
30-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Samson's result were fairly inconclusive, although there were a few big cells which indicate the lumps might be a lymphoma, so it has been advised he has a biopsy to determine what is going on. He is booked in tomorrow.:cry:

angieh
30-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Poor Samson - fingers crossed for the biop. Has anyone mentioned cysts at all? I remember a bizarre case of a young girl who was the daughter of a work colleague. She had a lump removed which turned out to have hair and teeth inside. Horrid, but harmless.

Leesy
30-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I do hope the biop`s go OK tomorrow, sorry to hear that there was nothing conclusive about the results.
Good luck Samson X.

yola
30-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry the news wasn't better and more clear-cut. I hope there's some good news waiting for you after tomorrow's procedure.

dandysmom
30-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Fingers crossed the biop goes well and you get some definitive results .... good ones!!

calismum
30-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Fingers crossed here too. Hope all is well tomorrow.

farthing
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks everybody, just thought I'd give a quick update.

Samson's biopsy results are still not back!, his thyroid levels are still high though, and the vets are now talikng about a thyroidectomy depending on his biopsy results. I'm really not keen on this, but we will see how things go- he may be able to go up one more level of his meds, although it isn't really recommended.

In the meantime, Tabatha was in for her thyroid check and kidney test. Her bloods were not great- both liver enzymes were up, her urea is up and her white blood cells were up. We have put her on a course of antibiotics and await the thyroid results. At least for the moment she isn't in CRF yet.

Smudge was in today for both her thyroid check and kidney check- she is now in the early stages of CRF too.

Jimmy had his thyroid check today as well- both their tests will be sent off and we will see what they say.

Tomorrow Spice and Misty are in for kidney checks and Spice for her thyroid, we will see how they are getting on.

On Friday, Deli the dalmation is in to get her liver checked and Fluffy will be getting a check over, FIV/FELV test and a thyroid check. Hopefully Fluffy will be clear and she can join the others in the rest of the house!

I know it seems a sadistic doing all this before Christmas, but they are all due and I would rather know how well they are entering the New Year- if that makes sense.

calismum
07-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I know how you feel. They are due and it is better knowing than not. Shame that you are having to wait so long for results though, I do hope they are ok.

At least you are getting them all tested and are able to take appropriate action depending on the result.

Fingers and toes crossed for you.

dandysmom
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
What a shame that Samson's results are taking so long. Fingers crossed here for all.

Cool Cat Emma
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Hope all turns out OK. Try not to worry x

robbiesmum
07-12-2009, 11:02 PM
So sorry to hear about Samson. I worked in a vets for 20 years and know how agonising the wait for news can be. There are so many causes of lumps in cats and a great many of the lumps are benign, so fingers crossed.

farthing
08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Samson's results- high malignancy, slow growth, may be a lymphoma, prognosis guarded.:cry:

Tink
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry :(

yola
08-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh no. Farthing, that's not the best news :( When are you seeing the vet to determine the best course of action?

angieh
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I am very sorry to hear the news farthing. I know that you will make a well considered decision. Not easy. ((((HUGS))))

Mags
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm so sorry the news wasn't good, Farthing...:(

Gumby Cat
08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
What a worry for you. They are certainly taking their time over the biopsies. I don't think I had to wait anything like as long for Solomon's results back in May.

farthing
08-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi, I won't write too much as I am not really very coherent at the moment.
The vet doesn't think there is much we can do for Samson, other than keep him comfortable. There is no point in chemotherapy, from what I can see and the vet doesn't want him on steriods because he is already immunocompromised because of his thyroid issues.
I am taking him in tomorrow because he seems bloated, it has concerned me since I noticed it a couple of days ago, but I decided to wait for his results before panicking. My concern is that he has a fluid build up, if so things look bleak for him.
I am afraid I'm going to wallow in pity tonight and deal with things tomorrow, he is comfortable and that will be our priority for however long he has.
Thanks for all your support, it is much appreciated.

calismum
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
(((((hugs)))))...........

Mags
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Thinking of you ((((hugs))))

dandysmom
08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh farthing, (((hugs))) ......

pinklizzy
08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
So sorry Farthing, thinking of you (((hugs)))

Moli
08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Thought and Hugs with you .....xx

robbiesmum
08-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Fathing, Samson is very lucky to have a mum like you looking out for him. Thinking of you both. Robbiesmum xx

farthing
09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Samson does have some fluid in his abdomen.
We have some tablets to try and stop things getting any worse, but the prognosis is he may not make it to the new year. It is unbelievable because he looks so well, but I have noticed he is a bit quieter and more grumpy, we can only make his remaining time a nice as possible.

angieh
09-12-2009, 01:29 PM
((((HUGS)))) to you and Samson, farthing.

yola
09-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Bless you Farthing; you are doing what you can for Samson. Big hugs, because I'm sure it's not easy to see him like this :(

dandysmom
09-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Thinking of you ......

Tink
09-12-2009, 07:08 PM
thinking of you <3

Moli
09-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Thoughts with you...x

farthing
09-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks, we're both really struggling.
Samson is an amazing cat, even people who don't like cats, like Samson. He is one of the vets' favourite cats and they can't believe he is ill. We have had him for 14 years and is only surpassed by Smudge, who is 18 and we have had for 18 years. He move in one night and slept in our utility room, apparently he had been wandering around the other houses, trying to move in, this part has alway broken my heart. We advertised him, but he was never claimed- he was between 6 months and a year. He doesn't have a nasty bone in his body, has never bitten or scratched in anger and accepted, even looked after, any newcomers to the feline family.
He is not happy wearing a collar, but his stitches come out on Friday and at least he has no more prodding to cope with.
I am satisfied we couldn't have moved any quicker or noticed things any sooner, and at least he has gone through all the tests whilst relatively well in himself, as he deteriorates he won't have to suffer any of this. We have decided that when he goes off his food or obviously becomes uncomfortable, we will call it a day and he will hopefully be PTS with our help at home.
I am totally stunned at the moment and can't cry anymore, but that is best- he needs positivity and care.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/cats/Sammy1.jpg

yola
10-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Farthing, he's beautiful! What a super marmalade cat :D

Will keep everything crossed he can hang on for as long as possible with you all.

angieh
10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
What a super cat. I know he will get all the love he needs to see him through.

dandysmom
10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
He is stunning. What a heartbreakng time for you........

Moli
10-12-2009, 11:37 PM
He is a beauty, hope he manages to keep going for a long time yet....x

calismum
10-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Lovely handsome boy. Wishing him well. Understand how you must be feeling. (((hugs)))

Mags
11-12-2009, 12:03 AM
He reminds me very much of my old Sam.

Sending him comforting vibes.....

Gumby Cat
13-12-2009, 06:53 PM
He's lovely, I do hope he pulls through.

farthing
13-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone.
Isn't it funny how people see things differently.
Some of the vets think he must have a lymphoma and doesn't have long, and the fact he has fluid in his abdomen confirms this. The partner thinks if he had a lymphoma the lab sample should have confirmed this because he sent away a big and obvious sample. He is more positive about Samson's future and isn't even convinced the fluid is related to the lumps, it may be he just has a small protein issue leading to a fluid leak ( not quite sure what this means.).He thinks because Samson's bloods are normal this is a good sign.
Whoever is right, Samson is on 2 diuretics and he is much less bloated, his stitches are out so he no longer has a collar and he was a bit snuffly but that has cleared up after antibiotics. He isn't on steroids as they can also cause a fluid build up. He looks amazing, his coat is sleek and shiny, he is bright and eating and snuggling up to me at bed time. His temper is better too since the collar has come off.:lol:
So, your guess is as good as mine, I did read on the internet to expect 2-6 weeks if he has a lymphoma, but most of the vets are saying it depends on how far advanced his 'cancer ' is. We will continue to keep an eye on him and hope for the best.
I will keep you updated.

dandysmom
13-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I hope and pray the second vet is right. Wonderful that he's looking and feeling better and enjoying life.

robbiesmum
14-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm sure we all appreciate what a difficult time it is for you. My daughter's persian Matty has lymphoma several years ago and went on to live a normal life for nearly a year on steroids before she lost him. I think it does depend on how far the disease had advanced, but if Samson is looking better, then it is a very good sign. Love to you both. Robbiesmum x

Leesy
15-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Lovely pic of Samson, he looks a real sweetheart xx.
Like DM, I do so hope that the second vet is right, glad to hear he is improving.

Lorna
15-12-2009, 12:43 PM
awww such a beautiful cat, I'm so sorry about your sad news. I hope you can keep him comfortable for as long as possible and keep him happy. Thinking of you xxx

farthing
16-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I just thought I'd update this because Samson is still with us and doing fairly well.
His thyroid is now ( finally) under contol but he is in CRF, because of this we had to take him off the diuretics. The vets don't think he has any fluid lying in his abdomen just now ( I do ) but because we don't want him on diuretics we are leaving well alone unless it starts to affect him. He is fairly bright, not his old self but that may be more due to his thyroid being stable rather than anything else. He does have a hard lump on his flank, which feels like the others did but it isn't growing so I'm not thinking about it.
I am just grateful he is still with us.:D