PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour Etiquette

Sugarant
21-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I need some advice and I figured if anyone would know the etiquette of this, you guys would.

I'm a bit concerned that someone in our neighbourhood is shutting Merlin in their house all day. Where before, he used to go in and out throughout the day and would always come back when I called, now he goes out first thing and won't come back until dusk, no matter how often I call him.

The thing is, when I call him at dusk, I often hear a door slam about ten seconds before he comes bounding through the hedge. Coupled with the fact that when he does arrive, he is warm and dry as opposed to wet and cold, this makes me suspect that he's found another 'home'.

While I'm not averse to him hanging out with the neighbours, I'm concerned that he's being kept inside until they're ready to send him home in the evening. His behaviour has changed - he's become more aggressive with my toddler and keeps jumping at her - and he's also had a couple of bowel upsets which makes me worry that they're feeding him inappropriate food and encouraging rough play.

I have no idea which neighbour it might be and I can't think of a way of bringing up the subject without being accusatory. My OH thinks I'm being paranoid, but now that the weather's turned so horrible, I know that he wouldn't stay out in it when I'm calling for him, even if he'd found a shed or something to hide in. Short of keeping him inside all day, I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it. Anyone got any ideas?

yola
21-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Hmm - if he were to stand it, I would keep him in. Maybe start off by chosing a day when the weather is filthy (not difficult at the moment) so he is less inclined to go out.

Failing that, I would anonymously post notes through neighbourhood doors saying if anyone's feeding a little, begging scoundrel could they please stop because he has a medical condition that requires a special diet. OK, it's a little white lie but hopefully whoever's taking him in (probably out of the kindness of their hearts and no more), will stop.

kado
21-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I would do exactly the same as Yola. I am so lucky that all of mine wouldnt go into another house unless they knew him by name and the neighbours who do know them will not feed them either.

Sugarant
21-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Ooh, that's a good idea about the special diet Yola. I couldn't think of a way of talking to anyone about it without sounding mad and mean.

dandysmom
21-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I was going to suggest the same thing as Yola; or perhaps a note on his collar about the supposed medical condition would do the trick. Keeping him in as a last resort.

Elaine
21-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I was going to suggest the same thing as Yola; or perhaps a note on his collar about the supposed medical condition would do the trick. Keeping him in as a last resort.

Yup thats what I would suggest too.

angieh
21-11-2009, 09:46 PM
At least it opens a dialogue with your neighbours without giving offence. I'd go with Yola's suggestion too.

Sugarant
22-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Very true. Great idea, I'll do that. Thanks all. :)

OscarsMum
22-11-2009, 09:32 AM
You can also get special collars printed with Do Not Feed ~ Special Diet on them :)

yola
22-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Please do let us know if you were successful :D

calismum
22-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Have to agree with yola. Good luck.