PDA

View Full Version : Constant Loss of Balance

caterina83
21-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am an owner of a beautiful 15 1/2 year old cat named Fluffy. Yesterday he would continuosly topple over from his hind legs every few steps he took. I got very nervous and brought him to an emergency pet clinic and had him examined. The vet offered no help or ideas as to what it could be..this left me very frustrated and sad. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be, i'm assuming his ears were checked in the physical exam which would rule out an ear infection. They checked his sugar levels and they came back normal and they also did a blood gas which presented a Urea of 33.6. The vet told me he wanted him hospitalized or to put him down, hospitalization costing 1300 altogether. He kept mentioning he was dehydrated so he gave him sub-q fluids and I asked to bring him home. He has an appetite and is drinking as well. Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? His vet bill is already high and the result was nothing. Blood and Urine samples are running between $475-$500 and I would a better understanding of hs condition before that. The vet gave me two options..bloodwork and hospitalization(minimum 1300) or humane euthanasia. I obviously took my cat home where I knew he would be comfortable and I could explore more options.

It's heartbreaking watching him want to be pet and eat but continuosly falling. Any advice is appreciated

angieh
21-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I am very sorry for you and Fluffy. As he keeps falling, a stroke can probably be ruled out. My previous cat had a mini-stroke but was already able to walk, albeit a bit shakily by the time we got him to the vet. He recovered completely. I don't like the sound of your vet at all - for all that money I would expect information at the very least. Is there any other alternative in your area? If ears have been ruled out ???? I would suspect a neurological problem. I have no other experience to offer. I do hope you can make Fluffy comfy at least until you decide on further action.

Hopefully someone else will be along to offer more advice. I do sympathise with you ((((HUGS))))

caterina83
21-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Angie,

Thank you so much for your support, i really appreciate it. I called a few other clinics and they are all asking between $200-$250 for a exam and work up and i'mot in the position the pay all t his money for just an initial work up. I am struggling and so upset over the idea of putting him to sleep, and i can not bare the thought of doing that if it turns out to be something small. I'm really stuck and wish i never rushed him to that particular vet.

**hugs to you too**

Cat

farthing
21-11-2009, 06:40 PM
It could still be an ear infection. It is an infection in the inner ear that causes this problem, so you wouldn't be able to see an infection. Our Sooty came in the one night and was falling all over, he had an ear infection, was given a steriod injection and an antibiotic injection, along with a course of antibiotics, his ears were clean.

At you cat's age it could probably be a number of things, but without ruling out an ear infection and then doing bloods you won't find out. If his urea was high, that might suggest his kidneys are staring to deteriorate but a renal diet at this stage would help, especially as his creatinine levels are not abnormal.

yola
21-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't have anything else to add - but I will endorse the inner ear thingy as I get that sometimes and it's completely debilitating.

I would however like to extend my sympathy because having to watch your pet in this condition must be very upsetting.

I really do think you should - funds permitting - explore as many options as you can. It could be something as simple as inner ear infection/inflamation however it could be something more serious - the main thing is being in possession of all the facts.

Fluffy doesn't go out does he? You don't think he's had some kind of head trauma due to a car or other kind of accident?

dandysmom
21-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I wish I had a constructive answer; think the ear is probable or a neurological condition. It's so horrible when you don't know what it is or whether to proceed with tests. Sending good vibes for Fluffy; do let us know what is happening, please. (((hugs)))

Elaine
21-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Hind leg weekness can be for a number of reasons such as anemia, low pottasium, thrombosis and high phosphorus being a few of, many of these are conected to CRF.
Is it possible to get a second opinion from another vet in your area?
http://www.felinecrf.org/

caterina83
21-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I want to thank everyone for their great support, it really means a lot to me during this difficult time. Fluffy is still falling over but in okay spirits. He's drinking his water and eating his food and is always hungry for more, this could also prove to be troublesome though from what I hear. I have tried calling a few vets and they all say the same thing, it is difficult to help without another physical exam and blood tests. I was sitting with him earlier and petting him and feeding him some treats when i began to feel his back legs, the legs that he loses control of. He began to growl and pull away whenever i touch him near his hips.

I'm begining to think it could be arthritic pain, so i went out and bought him some all-natural herbal products for cats with hip and joint pain along with some wet food made especially for cats with urinary tract problems. I hope i can keep him comfortable untill i can decide who i feel is best to give him a second opinion. After last night's episode I am extremely nervous. The position I was put in last night was terrible and very inconsiderate, I hope none of you have to go through this.

I will update you all again soon, right now he is curled up on the bed :)

Cat

caterina83
21-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Elaine,

yes, this is also a consideration the test results last night showed he had a Urea of 33.6 which is not considered complete kidney failure but maybe a sign of it. Unfortunately, my vet was not helpful at all in discussing other possible issues, all he could talk about was how many tests it was going to take and the option of humane euthanasia. His potassium was also normal and his blood sugar was at 4.1

Cat

Elaine
21-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Catrina, I have already been through it so understand how you must feel.
Please do get a second opinion as soon as you can, most of what can cause such a condition are very serious and need to be treated as well as the underlying cause.
I dont mean to sound patronising so forgive me if I am coming across that way.
Does your cat eat wet or dry food? If wet, then try adding a little more water to it just to keep him hydrated. Has there been any vomitting at all? Urinating more than usual? Stronger smelling urine?

dandysmom
21-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Your vet certainly isn't very communicative ! A second opinion might be more helpful. You can get glucosamine for arthritic cats without a prescription; I can testify that it works in people! Cheaper on line, too. This is so hard for you, poor Fluffy .....

caterina83
21-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I have eating wet and dry food with plenty of water, and he urinated a lot over night but i'm not sure if it is from the fluids they gave him at the clinic. Yes, the urine is a bit stronger then usual. I feel terrible, these are all questions and issues that should have been discussed while I was at the clinic for 4.5hrs, but I ended up coming home with no advice and no help for my cat. A few other vets have said he should be ok untill Monday when they are open to bring him in.

Phoenix
21-11-2009, 10:02 PM
All I can do is echo the above about get a second opinion

Elaine
21-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi Elaine,

yes, this is also a consideration the test results last night showed he had a Urea of 33.6 which is not considered complete kidney failure but maybe a sign of it. Unfortunately, my vet was not helpful at all in discussing other possible issues, all he could talk about was how many tests it was going to take and the option of humane euthanasia. His potassium was also normal and his blood sugar was at 4.1

Cat

Your vet sounds as encouraging and helpful as my first vet was when my Old fella was diagnosed with CRF.

Here are some useful links which may help you to understand the blood panel and which tests you may need, it also has some usrful info in seeking second opinions.
http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.htm#kidney_function_measures
http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.htm#second_opinion

Elaine
21-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I have eating wet and dry food with plenty of water, and he urinated a lot over night but i'm not sure if it is from the fluids they gave him at the clinic. Yes, the urine is a bit stronger then usual. I feel terrible, these are all questions and issues that should have been discussed while I was at the clinic for 4.5hrs, but I ended up coming home with no advice and no help for my cat. A few other vets have said he should be ok untill Monday when they are open to bring him in.

I'm sorry Cat, I am really not trying to frighten you in any way and am sure he probably will be ok until Monday. I can only really advise that you read as much as you can so you can ask all the questions you need to ask in order to help your dear cat. It's better to go in with a little knowledge and a pro active attitude rather than feeling deflated and helpless. If the diagnosis is CRF, again, please try not to look on the dark side, many cats can and do go on for years with the condition.
Stay strong and stay positive xxx

caterina83
21-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Elaine.

I am nothing but greatful for your support and help. I am beginning to go through this information you sent me and and starting to notice some signs here and there. How do you help/treat a cat who is in Renal Failure?

farthing
21-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I know the list keeps getting longer, but it might be worth getting Fluffy's blood pressure checked, this can cause kidney problems, blindness and strokes- an underlying cause of this can be hyperthyroid, old cats are just a minefield of issues.
Don't be disheartened though, Elaine has done a lot of research into CRF and I have an 18 year old cat who is hyperthyroid, has high blood pressure and CRF, she is also arthritic and gets acupuncture for this. She is on 4 different meds and a special diet, but is as bright as a button and for the time being doing very well.:)

dandysmom
21-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Caterina. glad you found us; there are members here with a wealth of knowledge about CRF who are glad to share what they know. As has been pointed out the more you know when you see another vet the better you'll understand what's being said and make more informed decisions. And quoting Elaine, stay strong, stay positive.!

Elaine
21-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Right, where to begin....;)
Get a definate diagnosis.
First off, it is important that you get a full blood panel done in order for you to know exactly what is going on, that may be the most costly part. Ask for a copy of the blood tests. The Cornell University also has a wealth of info on crf and may be able to offer you more help and support.
Once you know exactly what is going on and the cause of the hind leg weekness is being treated, you may want to look into diet and nutrition. The felinecrf.org site has loads of info and the USA appears better than the UK for getting foods suitable for CRF cats. The vet may well want your cat on a prescription diet initially but this is not always necessary and not every cat will eat them willingly. It's always better that they eat something than nothing, wet food is generally considered best because CRF cats lose alot of fluids through excessive urination.
Please let us know what the vet says on Monday and we can take it from there. Each cat is defferent and so are their requirements. Should I be right and your cat is indeed CRF, dont panic, it's not the end of the world just the start of a new chapter.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Elaine
21-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I dont know if these are anywhere near you but they are recomended on another CRF site.
The Cat Clinic
Dr. Elizabeth O'Brien DVM
391 Concession St
Hamilton, ON L9A 1B8 Map (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/4-BrubJ_xiGh334uwj)
905-387-4151
http://thecatclinic.ca (http://thecatclinic.ca)

Cat Hospital of Kitchener-Waterloo
Dr. Bonnie Worthen
86 Weber Street E
Kitchener, ON N2H Map (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-p2uM*ecv)
(519)749-0201
Email: reception@cathospitalkw.com (reception@cathospitalkw.com)
http://www.cathospitalkw.com/ (http://www.cathospitalkw.com/)

Beaches Animal Hospital
Dr. Mark Dilworth
2304 Queen St E
Toronto, ON M4E 1G8 Map (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-FqX51kaqoaHV)
(416) 690-4040
http://www.beachesanimalhospital.com (http://www.beachesanimalhospital.com)

Downtown Animal Hospital
Dr. Vihos
579 Church St
Toronto, ON M4Y 2E4 Map (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/6-1MWD)
(416) 966-5122
Web Site (http://www.blooranimalhospital.com/html/clinic_profile.html)

Elaine
21-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Sorry, me again....

I dont know if this will be of any benefit to you but they may be able to help in respect of finances.

The Farley Foundation, www.farleyfoundation.org (http://www.farleyfoundation.org/) (Ontario Canada Only)

caterina83
22-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Elaine, your links have helped me out so much! I do not qualify for the Farley Foundation because I am a student, what a fantastic resource though for those who need it.

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update on Fluffy as I am sure he is as thankful as I am for all your concerns and help. To my surprise this morning, I woke up to Fluffy walking around :)...he can walk for a bit now without losing his balance a little..but he is not constantly falling over anymore. I got some advice from a few vets yesterday to give him some special urinary tract cat food and some special herbal salmon oil for his hips and joints. Something I am doing is making Fluffy a bit better but he is still going to see a vet this week to narrow down the problem or cause. ***Fingers Crosses*** this keeps up, it was terrible seeing him the state he was in.

More updates to follow

<3 Caterina

Elaine
22-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Fingers firmly crossed for you and Fluffy xxx

Keep us posted as to what the vet says please.

dandysmom
22-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Thank you for the update, Catarina; have been thinking of Fluffy.

angieh
22-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Great good luck to you and Fluffy - hope you can get some answers.

caterina83
27-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am sorry I have not written in a few days about Fluffy. I have been having an extremely difficult time with him. I thought he was coming back around on Sunday and he began going down hill again on Monday. He started having serious and continuos seizures every night untill this morning. The vet said there was nothing more we can do but keep him comfortable. This morning Fluffy went into a neurological episode that made him spin continually for long periods of time only stopping to vomit. The vet unfortunately had to make the difficult decision to put my beautiful cat to sleep. It has been an extremely difficult day for my family and I and I am completely heart broken over the loss of my pet. I felt I owed it to all of you to thank you again for your genuine and sincere concern for my cat. Your support was overwhelming and I am truly grateful for all your kind words and prayers.

I hope Fluffy can finally rest in peace

Thank You,

Cat

yola
27-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Caterina, you and your vet did all you could for Fluffy, thankfully he's now at peace and not suffering. I'm so very sorry it all ended up this way. Hugs :cry:

Elaine
27-11-2009, 04:34 PM
So very sorry to hear this sad news, sending you big hugs.

R.I.P. Dear Fluffy xxx

angieh
27-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I am so very sorry to hear that Fluffy has gone. RIP dear one - my thoughts are with you and your family.

dandysmom
27-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Oh I'm so sorry! You did your best, all you could, and gave Fluffy the last gift: freedom from pain. But it is never easy. (((hugs))) RIP, lovely boy.

Mags
27-11-2009, 07:58 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news...

Sleep tight, Fluffy...x

Phoenix
27-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear about Fluffy :( RIP little one, free from pain :(

farthing
27-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Sorry about Fluffy.