PDA

View Full Version : Cat Smell

Sugarant
17-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Silly question I know, but what do your cats smell like?

I grew up with dogs and had limited experience with cats until we got Merlin, but I was kind of used to pets smelling a bit musty. You know, smelly.

But whenever Merlin snuggles up close to my face, he smells ridiculously nice. Like he's wearing a very very mild aftershave or cologne. A friend suggested that perhaps he was going for a cuddle at a neighbour's house, and so wearing a rubbed-off perfume or something, but another friend says that her cats smell delightful and they never go outside at all.

So are cats just naturally yummy-smelling or is cheating on us with the neighbours?! ;)

cats' staff
17-11-2009, 07:15 PM
It varies with my lot. Tolly has spent 2 weeks smelling of bonfires as there has a been a bonfire smouldering in 'his' field for a while. it conjured up images of him sat there spit roasting field voles...... At other times he smells horrible- he is a typical boy and will roll in all sorts of things!
Smudge and Cleo generally smell nice, maybe it's a girly thing?

HappyKatz
17-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Great thread! :smt023
Each of our cats has their own unique scent - especially around their shoulders. They smell nice! Our cats smell like different kinds of syrup. Its like their own kitty perfume :cat27

angieh
17-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Kizzy smells of the outdoors most of the time and it is very pleasant to bury my nose in her lovely soft fur. Pip (just 5 months old) sort of smells very faintly of something equally pleasant, but I can't think what it is.

My Merlin used to smell of toast or sugar puffs, sometimes a bit like toffee apples - but again a very nice smell. Not like dogs at all!

dandysmom
17-11-2009, 09:00 PM
All of mine have/had a sort of clean pleasant scent, hard to describe. And I love it when they'd been in the herbs and smelled of basil or rosemary!

Phoenix
17-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Dylan usually smells of the fresh air, during the summer though he'd often come in smelling of the dirt because he enjoyed rolling in it :roll:

Beauty used to smell of something else nice, could never work out what the smell on her was :lol:

Sugarant
18-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Now you've said it, I think he does smell sweeter when he's been outside but he's been in for the last few days and still smells nice.

Isn't that weird? That an animal who eats cat food and bathes in his own spit should smell so lovely?

cats' staff
18-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh the trouble catsey gets me into! OH now thinks I am a mad cat sniffing woman!

OH ' What ARE you doing to Smudge?'
Me ' Oh nothing really- just checking something'
OH 'If I didn't know better I'd say you were snorting cat.....'
Me 'well I just wanted to see what she smelled like'
OH 'You've been on that cat forum again haven't you!'

thanks!

btw- she smells of cinammon

angieh
18-11-2009, 09:50 PM
You've had me in stitches, cats' staff!

Cinammon - how lovely.

dandysmom
18-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Loved that. Cats'Staff!!

Sugarant
18-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I just laughed my head off at that - brilliant!

Now you know she smells of cinammon though, you'll be doing it all the time...

cats' staff
18-11-2009, 10:48 PM
I just laughed my head off at that - brilliant!

Now you know she smells of cinammon though, you'll be doing it all the time...

Oh gawd, do you think cat sniffing could become addictive !?!

angieh
18-11-2009, 10:52 PM
I can see it now, a group of cats on the corner of some alley at dusk, whispering among themselves ......

"My two legs has been ..... I don't know how to tell you this ...... sniffing my fur!" Tigger said to Freddie.

"Oh not you too," replied Freddie, "Teddie said his owner had been doing something like that last week."

It was spreading all over the country. The government had taken their eye off the ball and concentrated on swine flu and had ignored the far more contagious fever that was spreading through the land .........................

(to be continued??????)

dandysmom
18-11-2009, 10:52 PM
We'll hold an intervention for you if you do get hooked .........

calismum
18-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh the trouble catsey gets me into! OH now thinks I am a mad cat sniffing woman!

OH ' What ARE you doing to Smudge?'
Me ' Oh nothing really- just checking something'
OH 'If I didn't know better I'd say you were snorting cat.....'
Me 'well I just wanted to see what she smelled like'
OH 'You've been on that cat forum again haven't you!'

thanks!

btw- she smells of cinammon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cats' staff
20-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Meanwhile buses went undriven, trains sat in stations, electricity failed and schools closed. Cats were becoming the main subject of conversation and obsession of the two leg populace and being sought by many, nice smelling ones were starting to be worshipped.....

Hang on a minute! Feline conspiracy theory time!

dandysmom
20-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Rotfl!!! .......