PDA

View Full Version : 15 1/2 yr old cat with overactive thyroid?

julie1965uk
13-11-2009, 11:36 PM
My old cat has undergone a blood test which has confirmed an overactive thyroid, supported also by the typical symptoms of dramatic weight loss and increase in thirst. She is currently taking feminole(I think that is how you spell it) 2.5mg daily but this doesn't seem to have had any effect on her ravenous appetite. She is eating 6 pouches of wet food daily and is persistantly worrying me for food. The vet has suggested another blood test in 3 weeks to check her levels again with the hope that her appetite will gradually reduce, but surely if her thyroid levels are ok with the tablets, her appetite should have returned to normal. He has mentioned that it could be an absorbtion problem - more tests perhaps. I don't have a bottomless money pit and she just seems to be wasting away. Can anyone help me? Many thanks

farthing
13-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi, I have 5 cats with overactive thyroids. The first dosage of felimazole will not always fix the problem. Blood tests need to be taken at, about monthly, intervals, with a drug increase, until the thyroid levels fall within the recoomened range, which is, I think, about 15-66, some of my cats untreated were as high as 300. Most of my cats appetites have settled down, but Tabatha is still ravenous and her levels are perfect. 2.5 daily is a very low dose- I have one on 10 in the morning and 7.5 in the evening, but it has been a gradual increase over months to reach this level, and over time the dosage may need to be increased again, that is why, once your cat is stable you should still get 6 monthy blood tests keep an eye on them. If you do find this tablet does not work, there are others you canm try- I have 3 on vidalta, but you do need to presevere first with this one. I have had a cat on felimazole for 2 years now and have read that a cat has been on it for 7 years now, she is 19 and still doing well!:)

julie1965uk
13-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi thanks for your encouraging email. My vet has said that with this low dose and her last blood test results, that she is now in the normal range. That is why I am finding it hard to understand why her appetite hasn't reduced. Someone has also told me that thyroid disease can mask a number of other problems, like kidney disease. My vet has taken a full blood test and has said that her kidney function is fine. I am so worried that there is something more sinister wrong with her. Did it take a while for your cats appetite to settle down even though their thyroid levels had returned to normal and have they started to put on any weight. Pickles is like a bag of bones.

farthing
14-11-2009, 12:25 AM
To be honest, most of my hyperthyroid cats are still skinny, the only one who looks good is Samson, and that is because he is now slightly hypo ( long story). It can take a while for things to settle down, and if her bloods for organ function have come back clear I wouldn't worry about it. Can she eat dry food, maybe put that out during the day and feed her wet food am and pm. She may be more satified that way.
Has your vet sampled her after she has been on the felimazole, for at least 2 weeks, from how I am reading your post he hasn't tested her since she went on the treatment? Possibly may also be worth getting her blood pressure checked, as this can also be a secondary issue related to hyperthyroid, although I don't think it will affect her appetite.

julie1965uk
14-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi, yes he has tested her after she had been on the tablets for three weeks. Thats when he said that her levels were now in normal range. She has got to go back in another 2 weeks for another blood test, to check once again that they are still normal. My vet is hopeful that her appetite will settle down. She can have dry food, the only trouble is she gulps it down so fast, she is sick. I am gradually introducing little amounts of the dry food by mixing it in with the wet food - see if that satisfies her munchies.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your comments. I'll keep everyone updated as to how she goes.

Julie

John
20-11-2009, 04:43 PM
My Millie was on Flimizole for 2 plus years for Hyperthyroidism .she was always on the skinny side..and all her life was on the picky side with her food..J had never head of it before. but since then I have heard of a lot of cats suffering from it ..persivere with the tablets and she will be alright...john..

Shelley123
30-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Julie,
sorry to hear about your Cat, i think the suggestion of dried food in the morning is a good one, it must be costing a fortune for all those pouches.
It's good that your cats levels are back to normal, hopefully things will settle down.
Our Tabby Tom has just been diagnosed with overactive thyroid, he too is on Felimazole and is yet to have his levels checked. He is still very hungry but does seem to be putting on a bit of weight. I'm wondering if he has got used to demanding food everytime i'm in the kitchen :)

Leesy
01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi there, I don`t really know anything about this condition, but I do hope that her condition continues to improve and she gets better.