PDA

View Full Version : Chicken question

calismum
10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I have, as most of you know 5 chooks. I have been asked to 'rescue' a young silkie and a bantam.

Wondered what the pitfalls if any might be of having two smaller chooks in with the larger ones.

Anyone got experience of mixed sizes? Advice welcomed.

alexgirl73
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a cross silkie in with 6 'big' girls, and tbh, she holds her own lol. I would like at some point soon to get her a few smaller friends to keep her company though. So having 2 smaller in with your bigger girls shouldn't be a problem. good luck with the intros :lol:

calismum
10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a cross silkie in with 6 'big' girls, and tbh, she holds her own lol. I would like at some point soon to get her a few smaller friends to keep her company though. So having 2 smaller in with your bigger girls shouldn't be a problem. good luck with the intros :lol:

Thanks - that makes me feel a bit better about it.

dandysmom
10-11-2009, 11:21 PM
My grandma had a Banty in with her White Leghorns ...as far as I remember all was well.

calismum
10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
My grandma had a Banty in with her White Leghorns ...as far as I remember all was well.

I think because I a newbie I just worry about the wee ones being bullied.

Just heard tonight that I am getting the Scots Grey and Australop mid December. The Maran and Whitestar in two weeks.

That's 5 - 11 in a month - must stop. Thank goodness the coop will hold a max of 15!

dandysmom
10-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I do so envy you those lovely fresh eggs! How long does the moulting last until they start laying again?

smudgley
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Size difference won't be a problem, it's just introducing them. Chickens can be really evil when a new one is introduced. good luck.

calismum
11-11-2009, 12:39 AM
I do so envy you those lovely fresh eggs! How long does the moulting last until they start laying again?

ABout 6 - 10 weeks. But I have 4 out of 5 in moult and it was suggested to me they won't start laying until February.

Only my wee battery hen is laying every day. I'll never touch anything other than proper free range eggs again if I cannot have my own.

calismum
11-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Size difference won't be a problem, it's just introducing them. Chickens can be really evil when a new one is introduced. good luck.

Yes, I was quite worried about the last one I introduced - couldn't believe how nasty they were to her.

I have seen them attack crows/magpies and even a poor pheasant who wandered too close.

I have to admit the intro's do worry me a bit - I can't bear to watch.

dandysmom
11-11-2009, 03:01 AM
I believe that's where the expression "pecking order" originated .....

angieh
11-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Good luck CM - I believe that Silkies are very brave little birds.

You probably would now believe me when I tell you my 4 Black Rocks tore a poor little vole to shreds. It was terrible. The vole had run into the chicken run to avoid the cat. There was nothing I could do.

calismum
13-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Good luck CM - I believe that Silkies are very brave little birds.

You probably would now believe me when I tell you my 4 Black Rocks tore a poor little vole to shreds. It was terrible. The vole had run into the chicken run to avoid the cat. There was nothing I could do.

I believe you :lol: I could easily imagine my lot doing that.

Found out some more info today. They are only around 16 weeks and have been together for the last two weeks. They were in with an established flock who have not given them any peace. The silkie is a grey/blue and the bantam is a black wyandotte. They are being picked up on 21st.

dandysmom
13-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Fingers crossed it will go well CM.

farthing
14-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Hope all goes well, I have some silkies in with my bigger birds, but they came as a group. I have read that the best way to add new birds, is to put them in the hen house when it is dark, that way they are more likely to be seen as part of the group. I would, presonally get up early to let them out just in case it didn't work.:oops:

calismum
15-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Hope all goes well, I have some silkies in with my bigger birds, but they came as a group. I have read that the best way to add new birds, is to put them in the hen house when it is dark, that way they are more likely to be seen as part of the group. I would, presonally get up early to let them out just in case it didn't work.:oops:

When I introduced Beryl I put her in the coop in the dark.

However, I have a plan 'B'! OH bought me a small ark and run combi yesterday. It is big enough for a trio of full size hens. I'm going to keep them in that for a week to give them an isolation period and let the other see them. Then I'll put them in during the dark. - and yes, I'll be up at dawn break to make sure they're all ok!

dandysmom
15-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a good plan, CM!

angieh
15-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Always good to have a Plan B!

calismum
15-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Always good to have a Plan B!

Just hope I don't need a plan 'C' :shock: