PDA

View Full Version : A new "friend"

Tink
03-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Not a pet, but I suppose I can call him a friend of mine now.
Tonight, we let the dogs out in the yard to go potty.
To explain, we have our backyard divided into two fenced sections. The left is all dog run and leading to our extra shop where we work on projects. The right section is our "nice" area where no dogs are allowed (partly because it's not totally escapeproof with the fence on uneven land) and where we have our koi pond and where I walk the cats sometimes and is also the view from the ferret room.
I like this section of the yard because I can enjoy wildlife there without worrying our dogs will hurt them.
But tonight, something had clearly wandered onto the "dog side" of our property. For when we let them out for their after dinner potty, there was such a commotion me and K both shot to our feet and went to get the dogs because clearly something was happening.
After ushering the dogs inside, we noticed that an old couch that we had tossed outside for the dogs (where there is the division between dog and non dog yard, right next to the bolted door dividing the two), there was a young possum under the springs.
This couch is totally gutted underneath because the ferrets used to be exposed to it so you can see clearly into it if you lift the cushions.
Once we didn't want it anymore, no one seems to want a gutted couch so rather than take it to the dump it went outside to be another piece of "dog furniture" (yes, we're packrats).
Anyway, this possum is a juvenile. He is no longer than one of my ferrets, just more plump.
Most of the "old time" animals in this area know of our backyard arrangement and know to stay out of the dog zone but clearly this little one seemed to just be finding his way around on his own.
After offering him a meal and much whispered debate on the best way to give him a shot at this, we decided to build a makeshift den in the "non dog" part of our property. If he uses it fine, if he doesn't that's okay. I see a lot of coons, stray cats, etc. especially at winter looking for shelter and I'm sure someone will make use of it. It's basically an extra large dog kennel where I tossed in our old down comforter and some food and drink. Away from the dogs but also in sight from the window if I should like to spy on any wildlife that would like to use it. I am one of those people that feeds anything that comes into that section just so I can have the chance at viewing them because I find them fascinating.
Anyway, I've read about possums and was fully aware of their bite and grip so we did this very carefully.
After making the makeshift shelter, K lifted the couch while I gently suggested it go into the no dog zone part of our yard. My fear was he would run into the dog area and hide in one of the millions of hiding places there and get mauled to death as soon as the dogs were let out. Thankfully, he was agreeable and decided to take my suggestion.
I just wanted to give him a head start. I know things happen in the wild but he is young and I thought it wasn't fair to have three dogs breathing down his neck harassing him. At least he has a chance of making it now.
Without further ado, my new friend "Possum". Maybe I will see you again.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/batchthree234.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/batchthree237.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/batchthree239.jpg

Mags
03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
You are like a magnet to animals Tink! :lol:

I've never seen a possum before, he's cute!

Tink
03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks! I thought him pretty cute myself :-)

calismum
03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Never seen one either. What a cutie. I do hope he/she takes advantage of your hospitality and stays awhile.

alexgirl73
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
oh he's adorable!!! I've heard of possums before, but never seen one. Hope he comes back to visit you Tink :)

dandysmom
03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Oh dear, you are such a good hearted person to care about that young possum; but I do hope he won't take up permanent residence; they grow pretty large and I'd worry terribly about the cats having an encounter with him as an adult. :shock: Those rows of needle sharp teeth!

BTW, is the cat that was visiting you still coming?

Moli
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
First for me too, he is a cutie............

angieh
03-11-2009, 11:00 PM
You do seem to attract critters in need Tink. I do hope he finds a good home in the wild ........ but just pops back to say thanks now and again!

Tink
13-11-2009, 12:09 AM
The other night K was letting the dogs out and saw a little white face peeking between the cracks of the door in the no dog zone of our yard. He is pretty sure it was Possum.
Our dog looked at the door and woofed and he scampered off. At least he knows where the boundary is now :D
I wonder if he's using the shelter I made?

Mags
13-11-2009, 12:12 AM
The other night K was letting the dogs out and saw a little white face peeking between the cracks of the door in the no dog zone of our yard. He is pretty sure it was Possum.
Our dog looked at the door and woofed and he scampered off. At least he knows where the boundary is now :D
I wonder if he's using the shelter I made?
It sounds like he's still visiting you Tink......... and more than likely making use of your shelter:D

Moli
13-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Looks like he know a good thing, and will come to visit often................

dandysmom
13-11-2009, 03:15 AM
I suspect he'll be there for the Winter, at least.

Amy0x
13-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I have a phobia of possums for some reason :) haha.
He looks really warm under there - I agree with Dandysmom that the Possum could be there a while!

dandysmom
13-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm fairly near the woods and get one occasionally in my yard... they hiss louder than a cat, and have a mouthful of needle sharp teeth! I'm not too fond of them myself, Amy! :mrgreen: