PDA

View Full Version : Kittens not eating

Tallulah Staple
03-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, I live in Russia and bought two kittens on Sunday.
The lady I bought them from didn't tell us what food they had been eating previously and we have no way of getting back in contact with her.

When we got the kittens home (about 36hrs ago) we gave them whiskas kitten food, and since then both have been sick and aren't eating.

They are drinking water, but are still having liquid vomits.

They have loads of energy and don't seem to be sick.
We have been giving them some plain fish mashed up with boiled rice, which a vet in England recommended me to try with my Mum's cat when she was sick, but they aren't interested in it at all.

I'm very concerned and reluctant to take them to the vets as I'm not sure how reliable they are out here.

Any suggestions?

Elaine
03-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Sometimes whiskas kitten food can be a little too rich a few suggestions would be to try another brand, try soaking some dry food, try some fresh cooked chicken or a little oily fish like sardine, maybe even try warming the food a little to bring out the smell.
It can be quite a traumatic experience for kittens when they move home but I would worry if I didnt have them eating something soon and would seek a vets advice.
Fingers crossed they begin to settle and eat very soon xxx

Tallulah Staple
03-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Ok, I'll give those things a go - thanks

Elaine
03-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Have they been wormed? Sorry, I did post that on your other thread but didnt want to miss anything.;)

Tallulah Staple
03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I've no idea but I'd be very surprised if they have been, however they are a good weight. We are going to have to do some research to try to find a good reliable vet here in Moscow....

angieh
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Good luck with the kittens and with finding a reliable vet. Hope they start tucking in very soon.

Elaine
03-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Might also be a good idea to have them wormed now just incase.

Tallulah Staple
03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I have de-wormed the kittens, how long should we wait before giving them food?
And if they did have worms, how long should it take for them to start eating again?

Fran
03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
If I am honest, if they did have worms I would expect them to be ravenous! If it were me, I'd take them back to weaning basics. Try them with scrambled egg mixed with a little evap milk. Warm food tends to tempt poor eaters and egg is gentle on the gut, warm evap milk is generally not refused by any kitten. In all honesty, if when you have wormed them and you try the bland/warm food, if they are still not interested in eating, I would definitely get them checked out by a vet. Good luck, I hope they soon start to eat and flourish for you :)

dandysmom
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Excellent advice from Elaine and Fran; I do hope they start eating and if not, definitely a vet visit. Good luck, please let us know how the little ones are doing. Male, female, names?

yola
03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Yes good luck with the kittens for me too. Fran and Elaine both have a wealth of experience and the advice from both is sound.

Please let us know how you get on, I do hope they start eating soon too.

kado
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Have you tried dry kitten biscuits with added warm water too them. You then crush them so they are like are like a paste but a bit runner. I do hope they start eating soon and please let us know how they are getting on

Tallulah Staple
04-11-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm really getting concerned now,
We gave the kittens some deworming medicine last night - about 10 hours ago, and they are definitely more frisky now, but still aren't eating.
We've tried about 10 different food options, and they are not interested in anything...
Today is a national holiday so can't take them to the vets but will do first thing tomorrow.

angieh
04-11-2009, 01:49 PM
That is worrying - do hope all is well when you get them to the vet.

trick
04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
are they crying for food or showing any unusual behaviour also how old are they and can you feel their back bone sticking out much?

trick
04-11-2009, 08:46 PM
aslo, are their eyes and noses clear?

Tallulah Staple
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
They cry occasionally, but don't actually then take any food if we put it down for them.
They are about 7 or 8 weeks old, we only got them home Sunday evening, and that was the only time they ate, so we can't really judge if they are behaving strangely.
I can feel their back bones but they don't seem to be abnormal in how much we can feel them - I my Dad bred kittens when I was younger and the kittens, in comparison to all the others, don't look extra small or skinny.
Their eyes and noses are clear.

trick
04-11-2009, 09:09 PM
have you tryed raw food? liver is what i use to wean fussy eaters, if their mother was supplying all the food then it possible that raw is all they are used too? also beef mince is good.

Tallulah Staple
04-11-2009, 09:25 PM
OK,
thanks, I'll try that.
I'm calling a vet first thing too.

Tallulah Staple
05-11-2009, 05:03 PM
We took the kittens to the vets this morning and were there for several hours.
After some blood tests we were told that the kittens have worms very very badly and are anaemic so we have a ton of medicine to give them over the next few days and we are taking them back in 3 weeks as well.
Already they seem chirpier, and I'm relieved now that I know what's wrong and have some medicine for them.
Thanks for all your help everyone!

angieh
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Oh fingers crossed for the wee kittens. I do hope that they get better soon. Worms are horrid things.

dandysmom
05-11-2009, 06:02 PM
What excellent news! Poor wee ones, hope they recover by leaps and bounds now that the worms are gone.

kado
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I am sure when the worms have gone they will feel a lot better and finaly start eating properly as well. Please keep us updated on them

moonstone
05-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Wonderful news :D just a though though:? were there any more kittens where you got your ones from:( they will also need to be treated or they too will suffer:(
Would you be able to contact the person that you got yout kittens from to let them know that yours have needed vet treatment and so will theirs:(

Tallulah Staple
05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately there were 2 other kittens where we bought them with our two, but it is a huge pet market and we have no way of finding the same lady again.
In all honesty I think that all the kittens there are probably not given the care they deserve, which really upsets me. In hindsight I kind of regret going there in the first place, but at least we know 2 kittens are being looked after.

dandysmom
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
How sad for the others. But at least your two have been treated and are in a loving home now. Are they eating yet?

Fran
06-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Glad to hear your vet has found out what is wrong with them and that they now have suitable treatment. Everything crossed that they recover well now

Elaine
06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
So glad you managed to get them to a vet and now know whats wrong. All my very best wishes for their full recovery xxx

Tallulah Staple
08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Good news
The kittens have finally started to eat, one is more reluctant than the other, but both have had two meals now.
Huge relief!

kado
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Brilliant news. The tiny one in maiseys litter was exactly the same now she loves it and waits by the cupboard where its kept for more

angieh
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
That's such good news. Hope they both progress really well. Could we have photos of the kittens? We LUV photos here.