PDA

View Full Version : Girl doing boy thing !

FayRose
29-10-2009, 08:06 PM
It has become obvious that our oldest, Polly, is marking like a tom. :shock: She does that thing of standing with her backside against a tree/bank/grassy slope and sprays straight behind her.

Is this normal for a girl puss? She is certainly 'top-cat' in our family and there is a clearly defined territory between our cats and the farm cats a few fields along.

Any observations along these lines gratefully received. :)

rainbow
30-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Is she spayed? Because if not, female cats when calling/ on heat mark territory just like male cats!

Also, if a female cat is having urinary problems (cystitis), they may mark and pee in places other than the litter.

Stress, also....has there been any changes in your home recently? Type of litter used? Or new furniture? New pet?

Think a vets visit is in order if she is indeed spayed and doing this! ;)

MrsH
30-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Our old Cleo (spayed) used to do this in the garden, up against shrubs. To be honest I never thought much about it until she became senile, then it became a problem with her spraying in the house.

FayRose
30-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh crumbs, I hope it doesn't imply anything sinister. :( According to my husband she's done it for years. We don't have litter trays, all our cats are out-doorsey sorts and Polly is a hunter with a distinct territory.
She has not done it indoors and although she is 12.5 she is pretty fit.

Thanks for your replies.

MrsH
30-10-2009, 02:37 PM
As Polly's been doing it for years I would be surprised if you had anything to worry about.

Cleo's behaviour didn't cause us any concern until she stopped going outside and did it indoors but she was about 18 by then and there were other problems in her behaviour - not eating and sitting for hours staring into space.

dandysmom
30-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Some spayed female cats do spray occasionally; my Misty did it. Never in the house; I suspect it was a bit of territory marking. If Polly seems to be in good health and eating normally I wouldn't worry about it.

Mags
30-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Cassie goes through the actions when outdoors but nothing comes out :lol:

angieh
30-10-2009, 04:56 PM
So does Kizzy - she even does the back leg trundle, I've never seen anything come out. She only does it outside. I think it's normal.

FayRose
30-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks to you all for your replies.

BJ (dog) had a vet's appointment this afternoon and I took the opportunity to ask the vet about Polly's behaviour.
It does seem its natural behaviour in some females and when I described Polly's usual routines and general lifestyle, he said she's typical of an active dominant female.

Phew ... :D

dandysmom
30-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Glad you checked with the vet and was reassured it's not that unusual. Give Polly a chin tickle from me.

FayRose
30-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Glad you checked with the vet and was reassured it's not that unusual. Give Polly a chin tickle from me.
Will do and she'll appreciate that. :) :)

rainbow
31-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks to you all for your replies.

BJ (dog) had a vet's appointment this afternoon and I took the opportunity to ask the vet about Polly's behaviour.
It does seem its natural behaviour in some females and when I described Polly's usual routines and general lifestyle, he said she's typical of an active dominant female.

Phew ... :D

You didn't say whether she was spayed or not? ;)

As I said above, its normal behaviour for an unspayed female cat.....

Glad the vet has put your mind at ease! :D

FayRose
31-10-2009, 10:30 AM
You didn't say whether she was spayed or not? ;)

As I said above, its normal behaviour for an unspayed female cat.....

Glad the vet has put your mind at ease! :D
Oh, sorry rainbow, yes she was spayed as advised by the vet just before she reached the age and stage to start calling.

angieh
31-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Glad your vet has reassured you. Dear Polly knows she's top of the heap in your area!