PDA

View Full Version : Cat/dog owners, did you know?

Tazer
29-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Did you know, that both domestic cats and dogs are listed under European protected species legislation.

Now that the EPS legislation is in place, there are probably half a million animals that are subject to licensing in the UK. But have the legislators thought of all the potential problems of enforcing it – when the law itself may create a much larger group of animals than they originally thought?

Firstly, defining a "Wild" animal may pose some problems. Is a Greater Crested Newt that lives in your garden pond "Wild"? The legislation says yes – an animal that grows up in a town, city or even someone’s garden is still a wild animal. In order for the animal to be considered "not wild", it must have been born in captivity and never lived in the wild at all. This has some interesting effects when combined with certain species on the list.

It is explicitly stated that if no subspecies is listed on the EPS legislation sheet, then all subspecies of a given species are included. One of these species is Felis silvestris.

The subspecies of Felis silvestris present in Europe – all of which would be protected – are:

Felis silvestris silvestris

(Wild Cat)

Felis silvestris lybica

(Libyan Wild Cat)

Felis silvestris catus

(Domestic Cat)

Yes. Domesticated cats are by definition included in the species protected by the European Protected Species Act. This could be difficult to enforce, given that:

Animals on the EPS are presumed to be wild unless documentary proof otherwise can be provided.

Animals on the EPS cannot be captured, killed or harmed.

Animals on the EPS cannot be owned without a license.

Animals on the EPS cannot have their habitats disturbed.

Animals on the EPS cannot be sold or transported without a separate license.

A colony of feral cats is "living wild" – they have not been born in captivity and lived their entire lives in captivity. Even if they live in a town or city, they are still wild animals. By the letter of the law, it would be illegal to catch a feral cat – even for the purposes of rehabilitation and rehoming, since you would not only require a license to possess it, but also a separate license to transport or give/sell/adopt it to someone else. It’d be illegal to kill or harm feral cats as well – or to disturb their living areas – without a license to do so.

And are my own moggies – who were admittedly born in captivity, but are free to come and go via the wonder of a cat flap – considered captive, since they were born in captivity – or wild, because they go outside and hunt? If I move house and take them with me, am I in violation of the law for disturbing their habitat and transporting them without a license?

Stray and feral dogs are likewise covered, as a subspecies of Canis lupus.
Have the legislators really thought it all through?d

Could be interesting, if they try to enforce it.

smudgley
29-10-2009, 02:43 PM
What a load of rubbish :?

Where did the info come from?

Phoenix
29-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't understand any of that ...

dandysmom
29-10-2009, 04:13 PM
If true, unenforceable, IMO!

angieh
29-10-2009, 04:14 PM
These people that make laws ....................:cat4 :cat30

Elaine
29-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I have heard that said before but cannt find it written on the goverment sites or on Defra's site. It is true to say that the laws are written in such a complicated manner and have so many loop holes etc, not to mention how the individual wants to read and translate them. It's a minefield in my opinion and it certainly doesnt help those who are involved in animal welfare organisations.

Tazer
29-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Natural England and defra are aware of it. I think that natural England are the one's responsible for licensing.

Full species list. This site also has articles on the legislation, that are quite interesting.

http://www.tskaexotics.co.uk/page131.php

However, I don't think us cat and or dog owners have much to worry about.

What concerns me, is that this amendment was introduced 2 years ago, and I've only just found out about it, so how many other people don't know about it.

It is the people who keep exotic species that have more to worry about. I keep snakes and a lizard, thankfully, mine arn't included in this legislation.