PDA

View Full Version : Need moral support (ferret related)

Tink
27-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey, guys.
ALL the kids are sick now.
They are basically sneezing and have congested noses with some clear discharge.
I'm calling the vet as soon as they open. Some of you may have read about Lainey and I don't know if it's related and I don't care I just want them to be better.
I've been providing round the clock care, pretty much living in their room. They have constant soup and pedialyte offered and Lainey and Baby Bear are getting their regular meds. I also have a plate of broth out too as I am just very scared you guys and I want to make sure everyone is hydrated.
I've been going crazy thinking and researching and such so I won't bore you with all my thoughts but I will say I believe it is the flu because it seems to be contagious and within the last two days everyone has been affected.
I know about complications like pneumonia and that is why I'm calling my vet and asking if we can just start antibiotics to prevent or whatnot.
I'd like to get the other three in at least, maybe all four. I'm having transportation issues though b/c I can't afford to put gas in my tank and K can only drive me on the weekends. My vet knows and trusts me so post dating checks for care is not a problem but I can't exactly post date a check for gasoline.
The good news is everyone is eating and poops look good.
Lainey tried to play today but started gasping and went and hid. The pred seems to be helping the "asthma" so it's not every five minutes but it's not gone completely, she's only been on Pred since Friday night so I don't know how fast that should kick in.
Baby Bear and MoMo were playing up until today. Now they are also seeming more tired.
Annie definitely has whatever this is but I don't know if it's because she is the youngest but she still plays very hard.
I'm thinking I'll try to get an appt. with Dr. Monroe on Saturday when K can drive me.
I'm gonna send an email to his mom and see if she will drive me too. Maybe I can get in earlier. I'm scared to wait till Saturday.
I keep second guessing is this serious or just a normal way a ferret has flu/cold as I've never had to deal with it before previously and I have nothing to compare it to to decide if it's "bad" or not.
Also, I might be losing my mind at this point but I swear the girls' pigmentation on their noses looks darker. Would that indicate anything? (Not a discharge, their actual nose color).
I'm gonna put a wanted ad on craigslist for a vaporizer too.
Just as a reference, Lainey had no fever and her white cells were normal and her chest xray came back all clear. So I'm hoping that means this is just a small thing everyone has.
I'm worried to death. They have these sneezing fits and I can't even tell who it's coming from when they're all in their hidey holes snoozing.
I would've called their vet earlier but my last contact with her was Friday night about Lainey and she is only open for a few hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday and it did not become apparent to me until Saturday night.
Would you all mind sending a prayer/vibes/thoughts?
I'd rather be overly careful and freaked out and be able to laugh it off later when they're better than shrug it off and it becomes very serious.
All four are infected with whatever this is.
I need moral support. I seriously think I will die if something happens to them, I couldn't take it. Especially all four at once? Now, I'm really scared.
Need a shoulder to lean on...
Freaked out,
Tink

Phoenix
27-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Good luck with the vet tink, hope it's nothing serious!

angieh
27-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Tink - you know your ferrets better than anyone and I would suggest that they probably all have a cold, or maybe, the 'flu. IF it was the flu, would they still be eating? If my past experience of flu is anything to go by, they wouldn't. I would therefore say they have a cold and of course Lainey has her asthma to complicate things. Yes, I'd phone the vet - you know each other well enough and I am sure if you tell her all the symptoms she may well be able to confirm cold/flu.

Do you have any ferret forums that you can get info/support from? I remember the wonderful one earlier this year with the birth of the kits - is there anyone on that or a similar forum you could "chat" to?

Take care Tink, don't panic - stay calm and don't look on the dark side. Of course, loads of healing vibes winging their way from me, Kizzy and Pip. Good Luck.

Tink
27-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you. Yes, I'm on ferret forums but I only really get personal with one forum in particular where it is a close knit group and they are very kind. The others I do not trust as they can get nasty and I just don't like the negative energy.
Usually when I'm having personal issues, I tell that one forum and then hit up Catsey because you have all been very kind to me. If I need to vent or a shoulder to lean on those are the only two places I really let it all out :-)

dandysmom
27-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh Tink, I'm so sorry all the kids have it; prayers and vibes coming of course. It may be just something simple, but not knowing what it is and what to do is awful; I do hope you can get an earlier ride to the vets. Hang in there, you're doing the best you can for them; they'll be all right, God willing. You have had an AWFUL time lately, hope this is the end of the bad things happening (((hugs)))

Mags
27-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Tink, fingers crossed your ferrets will be ok, I know you will always do your very best for any of your pets who are ill.

Healing vibes being set to them and comforting ((((hugs)))) to you..... x

Tink
27-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone *group hug*
Update:
Dr. Monroe is out today but Dr. Rabkin took my call. He wants to start everyone on Amoxi to prevent a secondary infection. Once I find a ride there, I will be getting it ASAP.

Elaine
27-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Fingers crossed for that ride to hurry up xxx
Must be very stressful and worrying to know your animals are unwell and because of distances, not being able to get them help.

Hope you get them sorted soon and all go back to normal health xxxx

Tink
27-10-2009, 07:43 PM
K's mom is picking them up for me tomorrow morning and delivering them to me. I'm so not used to having a "support system" of family/friends. This is awesome! :D
Thank you for all your well wishes, we do appreciate it! <3

dandysmom
27-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Good news, Tink, glad K's mom came to the rescue!

Elaine
27-10-2009, 08:49 PM
That is good news, fingers crossed for you all xxx

calismum
27-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I do hope the meds work quickly for them. You have had so many worries this year you just don't need anything else.

- Just a thought. My vet would send meds to me by registered mail if I have a problem, they offered to do that when I was dithering about when I could get in to pick some up. Might be worthwhile asking just in case you ever needed the same again.

Please keep us updated and (((hugs)))for you all.

kado
27-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Please keep us updated too. Thinking of you and your furries. (((((hugs))))

Moli
27-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Sending healing vibes for the kids, hugs for you Tink.....xx

Tink
27-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Thank you!
Their little noses have dried snot on them and dirt and hairs are sticking to their noses and drying like that.
I guess a warm compress should clean it up?
Anyone know any tricks for a makeshift vaporizer? I've heard I can mix Vicks with a bowl of hot water and put it under their cage and let them breathe it in??

random
28-10-2009, 11:36 PM
You are always in my prayers Tink for you and for K and I really hope the ferrets are all ok, i'm sure they will be fine, but you can't help but worry. Try and get a nice sleep and you will feel better tomorrow. x

Tink
29-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Thank you. I just wanted to update..
Lainey is almost all better. Annie is at the worst of it and the boys are in between. I think it all depends on what day they got the virus what stage they are in but I do see some progress though the poor dears are still sniffling and sneezing.
They started Amoxi today to prevent secondary infection like pneumonia.

kado
29-10-2009, 01:01 AM
That's such good news that there getting better Tink. We all worry about our animals.

dandysmom
29-10-2009, 02:00 AM
That does sound as if it's getting a bit better; how they do worry us indeed ... and having all of them down with it at once; one is bad enough!! Fingers crossed the worst is almost over.

Tink
29-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Thank you! I hope so too :-)

Tink
29-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Update:
I don't have a vaporizer so someone suggested to me to run the shower on hot in the bathroom and hold them in there to clear their sinuses. I started off with Baby Bear and he did well and I was able to clean his nose up with a washcloth.
Annie PLAYED tonight! I ended up steaming her too and she took a nap and when she woke up she was wild! :lol:
Lainey played just for a few seconds here and there but I can't *hear* her breathing anymore which is a good thing. Her Pred dose has been cut down to 1/2 of what it was over the weekend. I do think it's helping.
Baby Bear has a wicked side to him today. He's determined to run in non ferret zones of the house and get underfoot. On the other hand, he looks miserable with his eyes half open and often falls asleep wherever he is so I don't know how to interpret that.
Monkey is the worst now (they're all taking turns being the worst-ack!). He is gaping and only breathing through his mouth. I tried to steam him in the bathroom but it was hard to get him in there for a good amount of time b/c once the mucous started loosening up he'd freak out and want to stand on my head. I might have to just cage him in there for a longer period tonight. I know how uncomfortable it is to only breathe out of your mouth and how it makes your throat sore so that is concerning to me.

angieh
29-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Sounds as if the steam is helping them Tink. I do hope that you are getting over the worst of it. Poor little darlings - it's bad enough for people, let alone small creatures with small nasal passages.

Heaps of healing vibes heading over the seas from me, Kizzy and Pip.

Tink
29-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I've been up most of the night with them.
Baby Bear and Monkey's eyes sealed shut after their last nap because of the mucuous that is coming out.
The girls are doing pretty well.
The boys are in the thick of it. They don't even want soup.
I steamed Monkey again and he still is breathing with his mouth open.
Baby Bear gets very crazy if I leave the room just to use the restroom, he runs like mad to go with me wherever I'm going.
The boys only want baby food. I'm going to oblige till I run out and if they are still not eating well then I'll have to force feed the homemade soup to them which I have an abundance of.
I can't wait for everyone to be better.

dandysmom
29-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Glad the girls are better and that the steaming helped; hope the boys perk up soon as the worst of it passes, hopefully. Healing vibes coming here also; (((hugs))) Thanks for the update.

Tink
30-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Well I woke up from a nap and Baby Bear was pressed close against me. I got up and come to find out his eyes were sealed shut again. Before I could grab him, my heart ached as I watched him stumble and bump into things so he could go potty in the right place :( Bothers me because Baby Bear is already deaf, must be distressing to not see.
Haven't seen Monkey in awhile, he must be hiding. Hope his eyes aren't sealed shut too.
Gonna go look for him in awhile.
Annie and Lainey seem on the upswing.
Have a call in to Dr. Monroe again to talk about the eyes...

Mags
30-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Loads of healing vibes for Baby Bear and Monkey, I do hope they start to improve very soon Tink......

Moli
30-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Healing vibes from me too Tink.....Hope they all start ot improve soon..........

Tink
30-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Dr. Monroe prescribed Neobac for their eyes. Now I need to find a ride there. This is a sucky time to not have transportation. I want to cry.

Mags
30-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Dr. Monroe prescribed Neobac for their eyes. Now I need to find a ride there. This is a sucky time to not have transportation. I want to cry.
Stay strong Tink, you are doing your very best under the circumstances ...((((hugs))))

Moli
30-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Hope you manage to get a rid Tink, as Mags says you are strong you will get there...Hugs from me too.........

Tink
30-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks it really helps to know someone out there is listening to my thoughts and fears.
They are going to see if they can transfer it to a pharmacy down the street. I can chance if my car will make it (gas below empty) or walk in the rain a few miles.
I appreciate them trying to help. Waiting for a call back to confirm if they can do this for me.
*crosses fingers*

Mags
30-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I hope they can make arrangements for you Tink........good luck, I hope you can get it today..

Moli
30-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Everything crossed here Tink..........

Tink
30-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Conundrum!
I can get it down the street at $24 or wait till I find a ride into town and pay $11.
If I go to the vet I can post date a check (get paid on the third). If i go down the street i'm going to have to borrow money from my mom.
And if I do go, do I chance running out of gas on the way or just start walking? It's pouring and it's a few miles each way.
Ugh. I'm gonna need another cup of coffee.

Tink
30-10-2009, 02:58 AM
I have the meds. I was praying the whole drive but I made it back.
I put it in the boys' eyes and they feel so poorly they just went back to sleep.

Tink
30-10-2009, 08:36 AM
well the eye meds seem to be helping. and the girls still seem on the upswing.
but on the whole the boys still look miserable.
they're off their kibble, refusing all solids, even their favoritest treats.
so i am syringe feeding them my homemade soup.
between that and keeping up with the four different meds and four different mouths i am pretty worn out.

dandysmom
30-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm glad that you got the medicine and that the car made it out and back! Let's pray the boys will start feeling better and get their appetites back! Try and get a bit of rest yourself, Tink.

Tink
30-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Thank you :-)

random
30-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Glad you managed to get their meds Tink, hope they feel better soon. x

Tink
01-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I don't wanna jinx anything *knocks on wood* but the boys seemed to make a little progress today! (happy halloween to me :-) )

Moli
01-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Hope the meds kick in soon Tink, good to hear the boys are picking up.......

angieh
01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Hope the improvement has continued .............

dandysmom
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Same here ............

calismum
02-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Hope the guys are better now. What a time you've had trying to nurse them all.

Tink
02-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Monkey is on his kibble again! :-)
Baby Bear I'm still feeding soup.
Each boy has it seems only one eye affected now (Monkey the left, Baby Bear the right).
The girls sneeze but are playful and bright eyed.
And I am miserably sick now :roll: :lol:
I think what happened is K gave it to the ferrets and then the ferrets gave it to me.
But I'd rather it be me than them so that's something.
I'm quite exhausted doing hardly anything. I understand why they were sleeping all the time now.

dandysmom
02-11-2009, 02:45 AM
I didn't know they could get our flu/rhinovirus! Sleep's a good restorative, try to get some ... hope all are better by morning. xxx

Tink
02-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Yep, they actually use them in laboratories to test how humans will react to influenza and such.
At least I can cuddle my cats still :-)

Mags
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Glad to hear there's been some improvement Tink.:)

You need to concentrate on yourself for a change now, have plenty of rest and fluids ....... hope you pick up again very soon (((hugs)))

Tink
03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I just wanted to give an update.
As of this morning, I was able to see for the first time in ten days all four of my babies well enough to dance and play! And eat with gusto!

There is some remnants of sneezing, coughs, or sniffles here and there but more importantly they are THEMSELVES again and they have their spirit back!

I had tears in my eyes as I watched them. These last ten days felt so long and I want to thank everyone for your thoughts. I really do believe it helped and I had to let you know it.

I got what they had but I am just resting and taking it very easy and lots and lots of naps and I seem to be past the worst of it as well.

Things are looking up.

Thanks again to all who took time out to send positive energy.

Love,
Tink

Mags
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Great news Tink ....... take care of yourself now!;)

PoshPuss
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Only just catchng up on the drama Tink :shock: goodness me what a couple of days!!! hope things improve all the while now.

angieh
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes, so glad to hear the furbabes are mending. Take care of yourself Tink, you must be exhausted. (((HUGS)))