PDA

View Full Version : Donating blood

Phoenix
26-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm considering the idea of Dylan donating blood at the mo.

Dylan's OK with needles, in fact with booster injections he'll either sit and let the vet do it or really suck up to the vet :roll:

Dylan's not got anything medically wrong with him as far as anyone knows, but would there be any danger in Dylan giving blood and would he still be fine at the end of it ie not feeling ill from it or anything? :?

Stupid question I know :oops:

angieh
26-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I have no idea RCR! One of our Catsey members, Kim, posted this thread about her dogs giving blood.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=33041&highlight=dog+blood+donor

Obviously her hounds are much larger than Dylan. I would think that your vet is the person to talk to - there must be information out there for owners of potential animal donors. It's a wonderful thing to do.

Mags
26-10-2009, 03:06 PM
RCR, this site (http://www.catblooddonors.com/for-cat-owners/about-cat-blood-transfusions.php) may help you understand more about Cat Blood Donation.

I agree your vet would be the best person to advise you on any concerns you may have.

Please let us know what you decide.

dandysmom
26-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I can't improve on the above comments.

Phoenix
26-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks all

I'll talk to the vet some point this week about it (sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've been having an argument with paypal :twisted: )

Tina
25-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi RCR and all

I haven't been in Cat Forums for ages or I would have responded to this one a month ago!

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you (and Dylan!) are thinking about blood donation! It was just such a brave cat that saved wee Mousie's life in April 2007!! He's her (and our) hero!!

Hope you've managed to find all the info you needed from the vet to make an informed decision.

And again, I think it's absolutely AWESOME that you even thought about it! :-D

Kim
25-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I think it is a great idea that you are considering letting your cat donate blood. As Angie said, my dogs donate blood, they have now given 8 pints each in total! They suffer no side effects whatsoever. Of course I have no idea how it would affect a cat, and can only echo what others have said to ask your vet. Good luck!

Leesy
25-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I have heard about cats donating blood before, but not sure if there can be any side affects, hope all goes well if you do decide too go ahead, I think it is a lovely thoughtful thing to be doing.

Phoenix
25-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll have a word with the vet when I take Dylan in next time (think his claws might need doing next month again :roll: )

Chances are if Dylan agrees with the idea I'll let him donate blood :D

angieh
25-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't know if vets have feline blood stocks or whether if blood is needed (for little Mousie for example) they call on a cat on their list to go and donate at the time. Does the blood keep in cold storage as human blood does??? Just wondering out loud really.

Tina
26-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi Angie

The blood does keep in cold storage like human blood, I think, because when Mousie needed blood they could have got it from the "blood bank". The nearest one to us is in London though and in her case we couldn't wait long enough to get the blood and to do all the matching tests. She needed the blood immediately and we had to take a chance and hope it would be an ok match, so the vet's cat kindly donated (he had done it before)!

Another point about cat blood is that first blood transfusions are usually pretty safe but after the first one the receiving cat can build an antibody to it or something.....so unmatched blood isn't as dangerous the first time. Also, most cats with the exception of some breeds (persian, and a few other of the long-haired) have the same blood type. So Dylan's blood would be very useful as he would be a match for many other cats out there! :-)

I know far too much about cat blood......does that make me a cat "geek"? LOL!

MadCatLady
04-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello all!

Several of The Fab Feline Tribe are registered as donors but have never been called..... Registered on some website last year.... and to be honest I don't think the idea impresses my lot much but I'm always willing to volunteer services when I have nothing to lose!!! :twisted:

angieh
04-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info Tina - I often think of your wee Mousie as an example of all sorts of things (like insurance, for example!) - now I can think of her, and you, as feline blood experts! These issues are usually only found out when you or your animal is in need - but I think it's interesting to know in advance! I have always been a "what if" person! So I don't think you're a "geek"!!!

How is Mousie keeping btw?

Phoenix
18-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm a little bit confused about this section on the site you posted Mags :?

How is blood obtained?
Sedation or anaesthesia is necessary to keep a cat sufficiently still to make a safe donation. Blood is obtained directly from a large vein in the neck using syringes pre-filled with anticoagulant and a direct venipuncture or ‘butterfly’ type catheter. Fluids are often administered before and during blood collection to minimise the effects of blood volume reduction.

Would they have to take Dylan to the vet hospital (it's not a 24hr one) or could they do it by taking him round to the back room? :?

Edited to say: starting to feel scared at the idea of leaving Dylan at the vets :shock: :oops:

Mags
18-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm a little bit confused about this section on the site you posted Mags :?

How is blood obtained?
Sedation or anaesthesia is necessary to keep a cat sufficiently still to make a safe donation. Blood is obtained directly from a large vein in the neck using syringes pre-filled with anticoagulant and a direct venipuncture or ‘butterfly’ type catheter. Fluids are often administered before and during blood collection to minimise the effects of blood volume reduction.

Would they have to take Dylan to the vet hospital (it's not a 24hr one) or could they do it by taking him round to the back room? :?

Edited to say: starting to feel scared at the idea of leaving Dylan at the vets :shock: :oops:
Have you talked to your vet about Dylan donating blood. RCR?:? I would have thought he would have explained the procedure to you when you asked him about it.

I personally know nothing about cats donating blood, the link was to help you understand the process ......... whether it's the same procedure every time, I don't know.:?

Phoenix
19-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Just got back from the vets. Dylan's had his claws done and the vet took a bit of blood to see what blood group he is. I haven't seen the vet Dylan really likes yet - think he's at the other practice.

Dylan didn't behave very well having his claws done (normally he's very good but he met a dog on the way there - (walked up with Dylan) - dog was jumping around and barking and Dylan decided he didn't like the dog and by the time we got to the vets Dylan wasn't at all happy so he fidgeted the whole time the vet was doing his claws.:roll:

He settled down a little in time for having his blood taken, the vet said he behaved really well in the back :D

The vets we use don't have a store of blood, if Dylan's needed they will phone us and ask us to bring him in :D

dandysmom
19-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Poor Dylan, bet he's glad that's over and he's back home!

angieh
19-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Bad dog spooking Dylan like that .......... did you ask about how the blood is taken if and when they need you to take Dylan in for donation, RCR?

Leesy
19-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I hope that Dylan is having some extra TLC, which I am sure he is getting alot of;) .
Brave young man:D

Phoenix
20-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Bad dog spooking Dylan like that .......... did you ask about how the blood is taken if and when they need you to take Dylan in for donation, RCR?

Yes I did angie and it's taken out of the neck but the vet did say they might never need to have Dylan in to donate blood :roll: :D

angieh
20-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Ah well ............. at least you tried RCR.

Phoenix
21-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Ah well ............. at least you tried RCR.

And at least the option is there if they need it :D