PDA

View Full Version : The past month!

farthing
17-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Just a wee update.
We had to get Jess, our bunny with the abscess PTS as she couldn't eat enough to maintain her weight. On the same day Fliss, our rat with respiratory problems was PTS for pretty much the same reasons, we had the vet come out to the house, so it was very stress free for the animals. The night before we lost Charlie, one of our guinea pigs, he had developed diarrhoea, and died within 48 hours.
The next week we lost Mia, our original rat, initially the vet thought she had a cystitis, after treatment she did improve but went downhill again. This time we thought it was a pyometra, however when the vet operated they found an almost full term fetus on her, which had started to break down and had poisoned her system. She died shortly after the op, we were even more upset about this as we had her for 7 months and have no males, so it had been sitting in her for all that time. I have to admit, I was very angry about losing Mia in this way.
Thye next week I noticed one of our cockerels was struggling to swallow, rushed him to the vet and he had a huge growth in his throat, they had to PTS. A couple of days later one of the other cockerels was showing similar symptoms, he was operated on and the growths were removed. After some research the vets think they had aspegillosis. This can be taken in by wild birds and develops in warm, wet conditions, often affecting immuno-compromised birds- in our case old ones. We think because the ducks and hens lived together, this provided ideal conditions for the fungus. We have just finished treating the birds with a weeks course of an antifungal med, except for Rusty, the surviving boy, who will be treated for 8 weeks, sadly we also lost Galaxy, our rhode island red, but we think he also had a heart condition.
At one point we did think about giving up, but then there was Jimmy and 4 quail, who were hatched from eggs and were then unwanted as they were too flighty.
What do you do, you boot yourself in the bum and get on with it.

dandysmom
17-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about those losses and your troubles, farthing. Been a bad month for you (((hugs))).

Elaine
17-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats very sad Louise, I am so sorry for all those losses but as you say, you just have to get on with it.
Best wishes to you, your hubby and all the animals xxx

yola
17-10-2009, 09:51 PM
What a horrible time you've had - so sorry to hear of all this heartache. I agree, Mia's loss must have been very upsetting, I too would be kicking myself for not having noticed.

However, hopefully the worst is over now and your brood/flock will return to full health.

farthing
17-10-2009, 10:21 PM
What a horrible time you've had - so sorry to hear of all this heartache. I agree, Mia's loss must have been very upsetting, I too would be kicking myself for not having noticed.

However, hopefully the worst is over now and your brood/flock will return to full health.

That's the problem, Yola, there was nothing to see. She was vet checked when we took her home for the P@H adoption and apart from mites there was nothing obvious. She was even operated on to have a lump removed about 3 months after we got her and nothing was noticed, it was the last thing anybody expected to find. I was more angry that somebody, by design or accident had allowed her to be mated and ultimately this had happened.

I suppose we have been lucky most of the summer because it has been fairly quiet up until now, and with the type of animals we take in losses can only be expected. However, it doesn't make it any easier when they leave us.

calismum
17-10-2009, 11:08 PM
What a horrid month. As you say, with rescues you have to expect some losses but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens. At least you know the time they have with you is stress free and they have all their essential needs met (and get spoiled into the bargain)

I hope the next month is a big improvement. Best wishes winging their way to you.