PDA

View Full Version : What do your cats meow for?

HappyKatz
13-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Just wanted to start a thread to see what types of things your cat(s) meow for! :cat27

Snowball meows for food, food, & more food.

Sage meows for everything, hes very noisy.
We think he likes hearing his own voice - hes always talking!

Sushie meows because she wants attention.

Spooky doesn't meow too often - shes our quiet girl.

Spici meows when cats get too close to her, when she doesn't want to be pet,
when she wants to go outside, & when she wants snacks.

Shilo meows for food, she loves food.
She'll wake up from a deep sleep to come meow for food.

Sadee meows to get her way. She meows & meows to go outside.
She loves going in the garden.

Sasha meows once in a while. Shes otherwise quiet.
She may let out a little prrp when shes trying to get our attention.

:cat27

Mags
13-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Cassie meows when she thinks she's alone....... for instance, if she has been outdoors and we aren't in sight when she comes through the cat flap, she will call us. Also if she is asleep downstairs and we have gone to bed, she will meow continuously until she find us.

Everytime she thinks she's alone, she will pick up her 'comfort mouse'........ a well chewed toy that she's had from a kitten and meow with it in her mouth.

Moli
13-10-2009, 06:58 PM
It would be easier telling why they don't meow...My lot are constantly talking!
Merlin announces when he is going out, and when he comes in, when he wants catnip, when he wants a cuddle, when there is not enough biscuits in his dish...
Leo just moans for the sake of it....
Ollie constantly is telling me storys..
Casper, when he wants a cuddle, when he wants food, when he wants out, if one of the others have upset him...
Chancer is not too bad, mainly when he wants out or fed...

angieh
13-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Pip is very vocal - he meows when he wants to come out of his Pipland crate in the morning (he is very patient and doesn't start until it begins to get light!). He meows if he doesn't know where we are. He purrrrrrrs when he's found us (has a purrrrr of a much larger cat).

Kizzy is quieter - she chirrups when she comes in the cat flap; she meows if she's brought something in with her. Otherwise she's a "if I sit and look at you long enough, you'll figure out what I want" sort of girl. She does purrrr when being smoothed and loves her tummy rubbed!

Mags
13-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Angie, can I ask why Pip is still shut in a cage at night?

Phoenix
13-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Beauty never meowed, don't know whether she could.

Dylan meows when he can't find us, when he wants attention, when he wants something better in his food dish, he "mrrps" when he goes out the cat flap, he meows when he wants to chat, think it would be easier to say when he DOESN'T talk :roll: :lol:

dandysmom
13-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Leia is a quiet cat. She will respond with a small prrp when I can't find her and call "Where's Leia?". She meows when she wants food, but mostly does the silent meow with an imploring face: "I'm so weak with hunger that I can hardly speak!" act.

My Siamese could talk the ears off a brass monkey!

Moli
13-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Sounds like my boys Eileen!!!:lol:

calismum
14-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Alfie is a reasonably quiet boy

He will soft meow to sort of acknowledge us if we meet him outside in the garden.
He will ask to get out and in the window with a long meow.
If he wants his treats he will sit and stare at us with a most annoyingly short sharp, give me attention now meow (obviously practised in private until he got it just right)
Otherwise he is quite quiet. We never hear him purr, you have to feel his throat to know if he is purring or not.

kado
14-10-2009, 06:12 PM
They all have unique meows. Guinness with being a big cat meows realy dainty. The daddy of Maisey's kittens when he meow's says hello.

angieh
14-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Angie, can I ask why Pip is still shut in a cage at night?

So we can get a good night's sleep Mags. I need to think about where else he can go at night where he has all the facilities and no cables to chew! He's quite comfy and doesn't seem to mind, but I do agree he is outgrowing his crate. Mind you, having said that, Kizzy is asleep in there atm!

dandysmom
14-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Dandy my Pura boy had a very funny sounding meow, almost rusty! Little Onyx. once she got over being afraid, was quite a talker... she used to meet me at the bus stop sometimes and walk home with me telling me all about her day! I suspect she might have had some Siamese in her, crosses between Siamese and moggys often produce black kittens.

Moli
14-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Siamese are wonderful talkers, Oliver constantly tells me what he has been up to, and everytime I answer him, he replies........:lol: :lol:

Elaine
16-10-2009, 03:04 PM
What do my cats meaow for????

The hell of it, thats what!!!!:lol:

shelsta93
19-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Well 2 of my cats (madge & peter) always meow, for food, cuddles, whenever they see me! its like they cant stop lol :lol:

my other 2 cats (annie apple & JoJo) dont really meow at all they just look at me wen they want food ;)

pookyandjo
20-10-2009, 11:51 AM
George really only meows when he wants food...or when he doesn't feel like walking up or down the stairs.. and then he will call until you come and carry him either up or down.. (lazy little sod!)
Harri never shuts up... she meows... i answer.. she answers back... and we have a conversation...i have actually timed it and the longest continual back and forth "conversation" was for just under 6 minutes.. she has lots of different meows and she uses all of them during the conversation... now if only i had a feline to human dictionary.. id be able to work out what shes saying!

dandysmom
20-10-2009, 04:16 PM
George really only meows when he wants food...or when he doesn't feel like walking up or down the stairs.. and then he will call until you come and carry him either up or down.. (lazy little sod!)
Harri never shuts up... she meows... i answer.. she answers back... and we have a conversation...i have actually timed it and the longest continual back and forth "conversation" was for just under 6 minutes.. she has lots of different meows and she uses all of them during the conversation... now if only i had a feline to human dictionary.. id be able to work out what shes saying!

Teriffic project for an animal behaviorist, Jo! :-D Some are translatable "out", "now", "I'm here", but 99% mean God knows what! They are so funny when they talk at you like that ...

pcspik
31-10-2009, 08:10 PM
The cat who lives in my parents house only meows for one of three things: food, fuss or wanting to go out.

Pickle meows only when he is hungry.

Tigger meows when she is hungry but she has occasional meowing fits when there is nothing wrong. Unless it is a windy day as she hates the wind as she meows and bounces about everywhere (living up to her name). Silly tortie.