PDA

View Full Version : Expert help needed, how is this going?

tigger
09-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi
I have a 14mnth old bengal mix, female, a really loving, sweet girl. We recently got 2 kittens, both male, 8wks old (we had to take them at this age because the owner was going to give them to a pet shop). Now, it's only been 3 days but i wanted some advice on how you think it's going. Personally, i think it's going ok, but would like some more experienced views.

First day, kept the kittens upstairs totally. Exchanged scents, but that was it. Tigger (older cat), showed interest, but nothing aggressive.

Second day, brought kittens, (Luna and Sol), downstairs. Tigger spent most of the time halfway upstairs, venturing down to peek in at them.Twice they came into contact and first time, she hissed and growled, but no arching of back, no fluffed up tail...second time, just a hiss.

We took them back upstairs so Tigger could have the freedom to come down, but she didn't want to.

Yesterday, it seemed much better. Brought them downstairs and Tigger was much more curious. Came into the room, sat on the bottom step, even took a few hit and run sniffs of their bums when they were feeding :-)
She seemed relaxed, no tail swishing, no signs of aggression and the kittens were respectfully keeping their distance, either by giving her a wide berth when passing her, or by sitting a foot away, staring at her.

She even appeared at one point to chase Sol, when he was running for a toy, and jumped playfully on him for a second, then went away again.

Before this, she had also gone up to Sol and raised her paw, really gently and made like she was going to pat his head, but didn't actually touch him.

Then all of a sudden, she started batting him with her paw. I don't think her claws were out. Sol immediately fell down onto his side and stayed that way and she batted him quite a few times, claws in.

This was when i thought i should intervene, but didn't.

Should i have done? She didn't seem to be hurting him but i was getting worried that it was a precursor to something more aggressive.
None of her other body language (that i could tell) was in fighting mode, but i can't seem to find out what this batting means, despite trying to find out.

It's interesting to note that Sol is the one who would go near her the most, so is she simply telling him (the bolder of the two kittens), that she's boss?

Luna, on the other hand, just jumps away from her, although there was one extremely cute moment when Tigger was sat on the bottom step and Luna was sleeping on the next step up.

Any help would be appreciated. I am only bringing them downstairs for short bursts at the moment, so Tigger has time to chill out without 2 mad kittens running around.

I'm going to try and post some pictures, here's hoping they come out right. Here's Tigger:

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Discordia_01/P020709_1436.jpg

And here's the new boys (luna, silver one, Sol, orange one):

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Discordia_01/P071009_1052.jpg

kado
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Simon who we lost in july hated when i brought a new cat in. He used to his get his teeth out and batter as well. With in the month he was alright. Guinness who is a big cat snarls and gets his this claws out when troy and chester came as kittens. He is as daft as a brush with them now. They have even taken too the 2 strays we took in a couple of hisses and now they sleep together. Guinness and Lucky even hissed at the kittens we have there 7 wks but now wash them there mum maisey even lets them. I would perserver with it like your doing and i know you will but make a fuss of more of tiger. Is she speyed that might make her more passive. Hope you get the problem sort but it hasnt been that long so be paitence it should be alright.

jane

angieh
09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I agree - it's only been a very short time. Batting with a paw with no claws is no problem really. You should see Kizzy and Pip! Kizzy is a 2 year old female and Pip arrived here at 9 weeks old. He was a very small kitten and I kept him separate in his crate at night as I was scared that he'd be mistaken for a mouse! All is fine - he's a bit bigger now and the two of them play fight - no claws, no growling but it looks scary, but as they keep going back for more I don't intervene. They also groom each other and on occasion, sleep together. It's been just around 4 months now.

By the sound of it, your cat and kittens (all very cute btw!) are doing great.

Moli
09-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Have to agree with Kado & Angie, sounds like normal behaviour...I foster kittens and have 5 cats of my own, and never has one of my cats hurt a kitten, we get the hiss's and growls to begin with, I tend to think its more letting the kitten know who is boss..You will probably find Tigger will beome great friends with the kites.......

tigger
09-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks to all those who replied, i suppose it's just a waiting game then. Tigger is getting loads of attention from us and she knows we have her back. It's hard to watch the kittens get hit on the head though, even though they don't appear to be getting hurt.

Today, Tigger is much more active with them. She has touched noses with both of them, really gently but she's still doing the occassional batting. Both of them always lie on their side, so when is she going to be satisfied that they accept that she's the boss?

She is even attempting playing with them, but will then bat them again.

It's like watching the Discovery Channel, watching these lot...isn't it fascinating, how they interact?

One more thing, Tigger hasn't growled or hissed at all today, but Luna growled once when Tigger was batting her. He was on the ground and there was this tiny little growl. Does this mean he is scared?

kado
09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
It sounds too me that you have a lovely trio. If she is lying down with them then thats brilliant. Its realy fun in my house i am always watching the kittens like a hawk. The only one i was worried about when the babies where born was guinness with him a big cat but he is a softy too them he sleeps washes them as well. ITs natural for them to growl and hiss as well. They might think tigger is there mum as well. Cant wait too here more off them and please can we have more pics

dandysmom
09-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree that what you're seeing is normal behavior; sounds as if Tigger is accepting them and yes, letting them know who is the alpha cat. My Misty hissed and growled at my little male kitten when he came, but very shortly therreafter was washing him and cuddling, they became best buddies. My other female, Patches, mostly ignored him; she was not a sociable cat. It is great fun watching them and their interactions, isn't it! Do please keep us posted how they're doing .... and we love pics!

angieh
09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I do think it's a wonderful way to learn about cat behaviour - if you think of a feral pack, as far as I understand it, only male kittens are at any risk from other males, otherwise kittens are protected by the community - so yes, it sounds as if Tigger is making sure they learn their manners.

I also think more pictures would be LOVELY!

tigger
10-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks again guys for the replies and help and reassurance.

Yesterday was brilliant. Me and the kids have always said that we were really blessed with our pets in the sense that we have never had any trouble from them (I also have a golden retriever), and i think this trend is continuing with the two new boys.

Tigger (although still batting, but not as much as in the morning), was playing with them.At least i think it was playing:-)

If one of the kittens ran for a toy, Tigger would chase him and (carefully) jump on the kitten and then get off again. She even licked their bum a couple of times (is that normal?)

There was more nose touching and she even went and used their litter box (i took this as a good sign because i thought it meant she didn't mind their scent so much now)

Most importantly though, she was much more relaxed. She slept next to their cage when they were sleeping in it and she actually seemed miffed and not relieved, when i took them back upstairs.

So hopefully, so far, it looks as if it's going well. Fingers crossed and all that :-)

No more pictures of the boys yet because we have lost the usb cable to the phone so have to wait till monday to take some more, but there is a video that we took the first day, here's the link:

http://s651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Discordia_01/?action=view&current=LunaandSol.flv

And here is Tigger again:

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Discordia_01/IMG004.jpg

And finally, Tigger and Amber:

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Discordia_01/P210109_1132.jpg

kado
10-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Tigger is doing so well. The bottom licking thing is fine. Apart from Gabby and the Maisey the mummy all the rest are neutered boys. They will wash the kittens all over. When we first got guinness he has a realy bad wet escma near his ear and Lucky who was only about 2-3months at the time constanley washed it. We tried everything that you could use nothing worked until we got lucky hey presto within 2 wks it started to heal and hasnt come back. So it can work both ways. Hope you sort your camera out because we all want pic. I love your dog she looks so contented

angieh
10-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I would say that you are right and are blessed with your pets. May be a little early to trust entirely, but Tigger and the kittens sound as if they have made a brilliant start. How do the kittens get on with your dog?