PDA

View Full Version : Wormed kittens advice

kado
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
The kittens finished the first 3 day dose of panacure yesterday. One of them went to toilet and i saw one worm came out. How long if they have anymore to die off. the one that i saw tonight isnt very hungry otherwise ok. When should i worm them again and will it be ok too use the same bottle of panacure. Sorry for the odd post but i never seen any of my cats with worms before.

dandysmom
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Can't help, never had a cat with worms; sure the people who know will be along with the answers! Wow, having kittens is more difficult than I thought.....

kado
06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Yep it is difficult but wouldnt be without them for the world. Also i will never do it again.

pinklizzy
06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
They may pass worms for a couple more days. It should be fine to use the same panacur bottle (I'm assuming it's the suspension, either 2.5 or 10%) and worm them again in 2 weeks. Keep an eye on their appetites if there is a heavy worm burden they might feel a little bit under the weather for a few days.
HTH

Moli
06-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I do foster from 5-12 weeks every 2 weeks...

kado
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
A couple of them are off there food but chunkie the only boy isnt. Thanks for the info

angieh
06-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Think I was lucky with Pip - after my lack of courage using the panacur he'd made enough weight to go straight onto the adult wormer. I saw no worms at all and he doesn't have to be done again for 3 months now.

Which reminds me, need to get another pill for Kizzy......

kado
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Chunkie just through up but i think its to do with being wormed.

random
07-10-2009, 10:30 AM
2 weeks hun then if there are more after that one repeat, should say in the instructions anyway. x

kado
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Ok i will worm them in two wks. They are having very runny bottoms but only when they are using the litter tray. Otherwise they are still and they love climbing. Two are sat on the computer desk with me now fast asleep

smudgley
07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
i'll just put my two-penneth in. You can worm every 2 weeks as advised, personally I wouldn't but that's just me. Depending on their age now, I would do them in 3-4 weeks with milbemax. Make sure you worm their mother too.

kado
07-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I wanted to use that with them but of course there was too young for it i do preffer it as well. I am hesitance too give maisey worming tablet yet. She has diet related colitas at the moment and had a injection on tuesday. Its working through her now and she has the runs again. I am putting it down too the injection. Could Maisey be givening to runs too the little one's through her milk.

care4cats
08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I wanted to use that with them but of course there was too young for it i do preffer it as well. I am hesitance too give maisey worming tablet yet. She has diet related colitas at the moment and had a injection on tuesday. Its working through her now and she has the runs again. I am putting it down too the injection. Could Maisey be givening to runs too the little one's through her milk.

Please, plesase. please worm mother cat!!! She clearly has worms herself, thats where the kittens have caught theirs through suckling mothers milk.

The fact Maisey has very bad runs is probably due to her having worms. Please follow Smudgleys good advise. A good wormer from the vet will solve her problems.

A wormer will do her NO harm, if anything it will help her and her kittens health. The mother and kittens should have been wormed WEEKS ago. Added some info for you below (please read)...

What causes colitis in cats?There are several causes of colitis including;

Certain bacteria (Salmonella and Campylobacter), viruses, fungi.
Dietary allergy or intolerance
Parasites (intestinal worms, protozoal)
Pancreatitis
Cancer
Dietary indiscretion (eating garbage, spoiled food, human foods, foreign object)
Stress

What are the symptoms of colitis in cats?
The most obvious sign of colitis is diarrhea, possibly outside the litter tray because of the 'urgency' to go. The stool is often soft or watery & may contain blood or mucus. Other symptoms may include;

Straining (tenesmus) in the litter tray causing discomfort
Frequent defecation
Diarrhea (the stool may start out normal but finish off loose or watery)
There may be blood or mucus in the stool
Reduced appetite
Constipation
Vomiting
Dehydration
Abdominal pain
Chronic colitis can lead to weight loss

kado
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for that. I just phoned her vets up and i can worm her. The only problem being it might not be as effective because of her colitas. She wasa dumped cat and in my heart of hearts i think this is why she was dumped in the first place. She is such a little poppet as well

care4cats
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for that. I just phoned her vets up and i can worm her. The only problem being it might not be as effective because of her colitas. She wasa dumped cat and in my heart of hearts i think this is why she was dumped in the first place. She is such a little poppet as well

If the previous owner had never wormed her either, she probably has had this worm burden problem a long time. THATS why she would have been dumped, poor soul.

All she needs is for SOMEBODY to worm her (please listen, did you read the info highlighted in red?). Have YOU ever wormed Maisey? Maisey clearly has worms, thats where her kittens have got it from.

Did you really take Maisey to the vets? Cos a vet wouldn't have diagnosed 'Colitis' in your first visit without worming her first!!!!! A vet would not just give a diagnosis of Colitis without taking a stool sample and blood tests.

Mmmmmm, scratching my chin here.....

All this cat needs imo is a good cat wormer!

kado
08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes i did. Have you been on this site before. If you looked into my previous posts you see that she found me on june the 2nd i took her too the vets within a wk and paid for ab and a painkiller. I cant speak for the previous owner at all as she was dumped. I did wormer her within 2 days of her coming into my house for my other cats sake. I took her too the vets last tuesday and took her back this tuesday the vet said she had colitas due too her eating kitten food she has kittens. The first time she was given some tablets which she didnt tolarate so the second time she was given an injection and thats whats made her looser. She is going back in 2 wks for a check up and too see when she can get speyed

kado
08-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Just wormed her and she took the hole dose with no problem

dandysmom
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Awww, bless her for being a good girl! I cannot imagine an easy-to-pill cat! Although I do believe they exist ... :mrgreen:

kado
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
It was liquid (panacure) The vets said it would be ok to use it on her. I mixed it in with her food with no problem
They have all started to firm up as well and Spirit the one that didnt want too eat ate all by herself tonight

care4cats
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM
That is not a strong enough wormer for an adult cat!!!!!
I find it hard to believe a vet told you to use that :p

And it only deals with round worms, not tapeworms properly....

Just buy a good worming tablet please, or this cat will never get better.

Please listen to FREE advise given on here....

Wishing maisey all the best, and her kittens,

care4cats
08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
A word, sitting on the fence replies does not help this poor cat or the OP....

kado
08-10-2009, 08:55 PM
I have taken her to 2 vets and they both have said its ok for given it too her. I trust both vets 100% and have used one for over 4 years and the other longer than i can remember. The first one is highly recommended and is used by most of the villiage where i live Its the only wormer i have at the moment as well. This isnt a poor cat but an extremely loved cat like all my others are. I didnt worm her before she had the babies as proper vets advice

pinklizzy
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Panacur is a broad spectrum anthelmintic which will cover the round and tapeworm species most commonly infecting domestic cats and dogs. Preparations in tablet form are more widely used as they can be easier to give but I would have no hesitation in advising it's use in an adult cat. Jane already has some panacur which she has used to worm her kittens and this is the most cost effective way.
Without wishing to be rude, I feel some of your posts have come across as accusatory towards the OP who we are all aware would do anythng for her cats. She took Maisey on after she was dumped and has provided loving homes for her and her babies.

kado
08-10-2009, 09:17 PM
It wasnt realy the cost that doesnt bother me it was the only wormer that could be used at my vets for kittens. The next visit they all will get milbemax or a spot on. The vet spent ages with me disgussing all my options as well. Your so right pinklizy i will do anything for any animal wether its mine or anybody elses. If that ment defleaing, worming or taking to the vets. I also if i have spare food give it to a friend who is feeding a family of semi feral cats. Alll animals desevere a chance

pinklizzy
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I would have done the same to be honest, panacur comes in such big bottles-might as well use it up and it's as good as any other wormer. I know full well you would, and do do anything for animals.

kado
08-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks pinklizzy

Elaine
08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I dont wish to cause any upset here but I was always told that panacur didnt cover tapeworm.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_panacur.html

kado
08-10-2009, 10:35 PM
No you wont elaine. When i go for there injections i will get something that will. Hopefully i will be able to use frontline combo as well for them.

dandysmom
08-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Panacur is a broad spectrum anthelmintic which will cover the round and tapeworm species most commonly infecting domestic cats and dogs. Preparations in tablet form are more widely used as they can be easier to give but I would have no hesitation in advising it's use in an adult cat. Jane already has some panacur which she has used to worm her kittens and this is the most cost effective way. Without wishing to be rude, I feel some of your post come across ass have accusatory towards the OP who we are all aware would do anythng for her cats. She took Maisey on after she was dumped and has provided loving homes for her and her babies.

I concur with that PL!

care4cats
09-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Panacur is a broad spectrum anthelmintic which will cover the round and tapeworm species most commonly infecting domestic cats and dogs. Preparations in tablet form are more widely used as they can be easier to give but I would have no hesitation in advising it's use in an adult cat. Jane already has some panacur which she has used to worm her kittens and this is the most cost effective way.
Without wishing to be rude, I feel some of your posts have come across as accusatory towards the OP who we are all aware would do anythng for her cats. She took Maisey on after she was dumped and has provided loving homes for her and her babies.

Yes, my manner was straight to the point! But this OP asks for advice then doesn't take it. Some people in MY experience need to be told straight and Kado falls into that catagory...

You are a VN? You need to correct your post because this wormer does not deal with TAPEWORMS.... fact...

Wouldn't want members or guests seeing your misinformation and taking as fact. Especially from a VN.....

pinklizzy
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Panacur covers for the taenia spp of tapeworm so will provide cover for tapeworm. I agree that it does not cover the diplydium tapeworm. Kado has discussed this with her vet who recommended the use of panacur, I was trying to support her in that. I'm sorry you feel I am not qualified to give advice, I will refrain from doing so in future.

kado
09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Now can we get back too the thread :)
The kittens are all but one doing proper pooh's. There appitiete is a lot better as well. They are growing into lovely kittens and are 7wks tommorow. Will post some more pics in a few days

Moli
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Good to hear the are thrving Kado, you have done a great job with them..

Elaine
09-10-2009, 01:02 PM
How is mum cat and her poo's?

kado
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry but only can describe them like this. Before they where like water now there like a cumberland sausage. She is a bit offish today but has eaten but she is also calling as well. She wont be allowed out. I would preffer to keep her as an indoor cat

dandysmom
09-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Glad to hear the kits are thriving, Jane. Mum is calling already?!! Hope she hurries up and shuts the milk bar so she can be spayed. You've done as super job with mum and kittens.

kado
09-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you for all your good adviceecially pinklizzy. Ps this is my very first post on my new pc

Mags
09-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Off topic posts deleted...

kado
09-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Sorry mags