PDA

View Full Version : To put on weight

calismum
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
As many of you know Alfie (only 6 yrs old) has a heart condition for which he is on digitalis. His heart rate is still a bit above normal and the result is his metabolism is such that he does not keep on any weight.

He is bright and happy but has very little stamina. He has a good appetite, eating little and often. His food is offered ad lib.

He can be quite fussy. Just now he is on WHiskas senior and whiskas dried food.

I am really concerned about his weight and although I accept he is never going to be a big heavy boy, I want to try and get a little bit of covering on his spine and ribs. Especially with winter coming on.

What would you suggest would be a good food to add weight?

Any ideas gratefully received.

CM and Alfie

dandysmom
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Would kitten food help, do you think? I know it's higher in calories.

kado
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I think the kitten food is a good idea but speak to you vet first. When maisey went too the vets on tuesday he told me too take her off it because it probaly was causing her colitas. Gabby who is very skinny also eats everything as well but is realy thin but has gained a slight amount on the whiska adult

calismum
04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the replies and ideas. He won't eat kitten wet - I never thought about kitten dry tho'.

Will maybe try some of that.

angieh
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Does he like fish CM? You could try little bits of sardine in oil - just thinking of the calorific value of oil. You could also try salmon oil, which you can buy for dogs but cats sometimes like it too. That's quite high in calories. I got some for Merlin but unfortunately he didn't like it!

dandysmom
04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Oil's a good idea if he likes it and it agrees with him. Misty always got a small saucer of the oil from people tuna and loved it ...had lovely coat. But she didn't need to put on weight; a portly little puss! :mrgreen:

angieh
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Thinking about the salmon oil CM - I would be willing to send you up a sample for you to try on Alfie.

calismum
04-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the offer angieh - I've tried salmon oil and he won't touch it or sardines. I can't encourage him to lap at any oil but thinking DM perhaps mixing it in with tuna might help. He does like tuna but we but the one in brine. Will get a small tin in oil for him.

I was also thinking about one of these 'only need to feed a tiny amount' brands of food. If he got that ad lib then it may help too.

It is just so sad to see my beautiful boy so skinny. Vet gave him a steroid injection a few weeks ago to try and stimulate his appetite but did say it is really not the appetite that's the problem.

Honestly don't they make us worry so.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dandysmom
04-10-2009, 11:42 PM
CM I do hope adding a little of the oil from people tuna to his will help a bit. The people brand I use has olive oil, which is heart-healthy for us; don't know if it is for cats, but doubt if it would hurt. Misty also loved the juices (not oil) from tinned salmon. Leia abhors both of them ! You're soooo right about worrying us......

angieh
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Isn't it just the way that they won't touch what might help them .......... gentle cuddle for Alfie, CM. ((((HUGS)))) for you too - many of us here understand how you must feel.

Elaine
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Royal Canin Sensible will put weight on him or should do.;)

pcspik
10-10-2009, 10:02 PM
He can be quite fussy. Just now he is on WHiskas senior and whiskas dried food.

Senior food is lower in calories, aside from other suggestions that has been said, I would try him on ordinary adult (unless your vet has said he has to be on senior).

calismum
10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone.

Vet has said he can be on anything as long as he eats it!!

He has tried a little of the tuna and oil - not really a big fish fan so I have tried, this morning, adding the oil to his wet meat food.

Will try to get some of the RC Sensible Elaine, never heard of that one before.

Elaine
11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/my_pet/cat_products/feline_health_nutrition/sensible.aspx

I have never known a cat to refuse it and it does put weight on them.

calismum
11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that link Elaine.

trick
11-10-2009, 08:10 PM
might sound strange but hills hairball control piled on the weight of my cat seems very tasty and he is a very active fat cat!

calismum
12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
thanks for that trick.

I have bought the RC Sensible today so will try him on that ad lib for a few weeks. If that doesn't work ten I'll get some hills.

Spent a fortune in PAH today. Dogs, goldfish and Alfie well spoiled for next few weeks.