PDA

View Full Version : Pip has webbed paws!

angieh
29-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd noticed this some while ago and mentioned it to OH and thought no more of it, but a cat loving friend came around today and noticed it straight away!

Does anyone know anything about the history of web-footed cats? I have something in my mind about Turkish Van, but looked on their website and could find nothing about webbed feet.

yola
29-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Really? I've never heard of that before! Are all toes (front and back paws) webbed?

PoshPuss
29-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow Angie!I guess that's rare. Anything else know about this phenomenon?

Moli
29-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I have seen a cat with webbed paws, but do not know the origin.....

angieh
29-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes, all four paws are webbed. Could explain his love of playing with water if he has something in his genetic make-up.

Had to post this link (http://scottishindependentmedia.co.uk/#/webbed-pawed-kittens/4534408774) - because the kitten is just so cute and because it all happens in Aberdeenshire!

I will check Pip's hind paws - I am not absolutely sure that they are webbed!

calismum
29-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I think there are some of the big cats that have webbed toes. Used for fishing. Never heard of it in a domestic.Pip is truely unique!

dandysmom
29-09-2009, 08:56 PM
What a fascinating article, and isn't that little kitten adorable? I'd never heard of the possibility of another ancient breed of cat ...thought all were descended from Felix Libyca! How in the world did Pip get his little webbed feet, unless it was a spontaneous mutation?

angieh
25-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Further to the above, a couple of days ago Pip was very relaxed and I gave his hind paws a good inspection! They are very definitely webbed as are his front ones. The skin is quite robust and thick and although it is not noticeable normally, when his toes are spread out, it is very obviously a fully formed webbed foot!

I am intrigued by this and would be very interested to hear any more info if anyone has come across anything.

Edited to say: I have emailed my contact - the friend of a friend whose friend has mother cat to see if mother cat or any of the other kittens also have webbed feet. I'll let you know if I hear anything of interest!

dandysmom
25-10-2009, 08:07 PM
This doesn't give any clue as to where Pip got his feet, but it's interesting. Off to Google the delmun cat breed now.

http://scottishindependentmedia.co.uk/#/webbed-pawed-kittens/4534408774

farthing
25-10-2009, 10:49 PM
This doesn't give any clue as to where Pip got his feet, but it's interesting. Off to Google the delmun cat breed now.

http://scottishindependentmedia.co.uk/#/webbed-pawed-kittens/4534408774

There is a sanctuary, local to us who has one of this litter, not as rescue, but for themselves. He is Emir and very bengal like.
http://cossetedcritters.webs.com/
I'm sure Nykola would be able to give more info on the breed.

angieh
25-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Emir is very beautiful and so interesting as he is one of the litter from the Scottish Independent article.

Apart from his webbed feet, Pip doesn't look a bit like a Delmun, although he is light boned and does have a "pointy" face. He is white and ginger and has hazel eyes. He does have a very close pelt. I came across this website (http://www.csbpa.com/pages.php?page_id=7) while Googling ...................

dandysmom
26-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Both good links! Emir is a gorgeous boy, isn't he. I'd never heard of this breed before; interesting. We'll probably never know where Pip got his feet from...could he possibly have some Bengal in his background?

angieh
19-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I have only just heard back from my friend via email (she only occasionally checks her email!). Her friend who has Pip's sister Phoebe also has webbed paws!

dandysmom
19-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Her friend has webbed paws? :mrgreen:

Leesy
19-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Wow it`s all very interesting, I wasn`t aware that cats had webbed paws:shock:

angieh
20-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Her friend has webbed paws? :mrgreen:

:-D :-D :-D

No, Eileen - that was ambiguous- Phoebe, Pip's sister has webbed paws!!!

dandysmom
20-01-2010, 12:52 AM
LOL, I was just teasing! :mrgreen: The old English teacher in me dies hard .....

James
21-01-2010, 01:14 AM
I had not heard of this happening before other than in some specific breeds (such as Maine Coon). However it frequently occurs in children and is termed 'Syndactyly' (this term would also be used when referring to cats). It is relatively common in children with Down's Syndrome and may involve two or more fingers and/or toes. When this occurs, it is usual to do a chromosome test (karyotype test), tests for certain enzyme proteins plus x-rays. I imagine that handsome little Pip's ancestry would make interesting reading :)

angieh
21-01-2010, 11:11 AM
That's interesting James - I wonder if there is an equivalent of Down's Syndrome in cats - I would have thought not.

dandysmom
21-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I didn't know that, James! Interesting indeed!