PDA

View Full Version : Maisey's bottom

kado
27-09-2009, 05:51 PM
She has got a very drippy bottom(sorry about discription) She is runny but can break wind and she leaks . We had too take some meat off her today and she leaked all over my shoe when i picked her up. She eats anything she can she hasnt had any meat for a couple of days either. She has always had this problem and i am wondering if that is why she was dumped. Her other bad habbit is pinching meat off your plate if you let her. She is still nursing a bit with two of them but the other two are eating a little better. I am going to give her a couple of days and if no better take her to the vets. She is still on whiskas kitten food.

dandysmom
27-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Are her actual movements shaped or runny too? She might have an irritable bowel; I understand that can be difficult to treat; the vet will know. I hope it improves soon.

Even the best behaved cat will steal food off our plate if they can get away with it. even if they've just recently had dinner. I went to answer the door at dinner once, and turned around to see Dandy with my trout by the tail starting to drag it away. And Patches would steal butter any time she could. Fortunately, Leia doesn't much care for "people food" so she never bothers.

calismum
27-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a vet trip to me.

Just a thought - does she still clean up after the kittens? It could be that. IBS also sounds possible.

I think the stealing is just a natural urge. Alfie will have anything he can if he gets away with it.

I do hope it is easily remidied, please let us know how she gets on.

angieh
27-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I do think a vet visit is called for. You don't want that to carry on - poor Maisey. Do let us know how she gets on.

kado
27-09-2009, 08:49 PM
She is going as i am typing they look like cow pats. Never thought of IBS i have that and it is awful. She still washes her babies but they use the litter tray for both themselfs and cover it up as well.

dandysmom
27-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Poor Maisie, she should be having shaped movements. I hope the vet can help with it; must be very uncomfortable for her leaking as cats are so clean by nature.

kado
27-09-2009, 09:58 PM
If she has too go onto a special diet i will cope somehow. She was like this when we found her but even worser. I think her having her babies started it all off again. I realy need the kittens weaned so i can get her speyed but if she has this will they still do it.

dandysmom
27-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I guess the vet is the one to answer that question; they might want to get her bowel problem cleared up before the spay surgery. Maybe not. Hope PL comes on soon, I'm sure she knows.

kado
29-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Taking Maisey to the vets in a hour. She is still pooping alot. Kittens seem fine

dandysmom
29-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Let us know, please! Hope the vet can sort it.

kado
29-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Maisey has colitas probaly due to her diet she is on Whiskas kitten now put her on the adult one. She has being given
Prednisolone and Metronidazole tablets. Got to take her back in a week. The vet said the kittens should be weaning now 3 are eating mushed up whiska dry kitten food. She should be alright to feed the kittens on these tablets. She doesnt like car journers either she threw up just before we got there. And whilst we were waiting a staffy just looked at her cage and she went for it and continued growling at every other dog she saw.

angieh
29-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Poor Maisey - hope she starts to improve very soon.

kado
29-09-2009, 08:07 PM
She is realy out of sorts she hasnt even looked for her kittens

dandysmom
29-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, in a way that's good, as if they're hungry they're more likely to eat solid food. Poor girl, they do so hate vet visits. I hope the meds will clear up her colitis promptly; had to laugh at her and the dog though!

kado
29-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Sounds awful but the other pet owners couldnt stop laughing at her. Even when we told her too shut up she growled more. There was a staffy, Gernan sheppard, two chocolate labs, jack russel and a dalmation. Going to get a stronger carrier for her dont trust her with dogs

kado
30-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Tried maisey on the tablets this morning. Tried putting in mouth, wrapping it in ham, dipping it soft cheese suggested by vet, cat food, adding it to milk crushed up, and finaly sardines. There no way she will take her tablets i have done all the above and she just spits them out. I realy need help now. She is the most akward cat for giving tablets i dont know what too do

Mags
30-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Tried maisey on the tablets this morning. Tried putting in mouth, wrapping it in ham, dipping it soft cheese suggested by vet, cat food, adding it to milk crushed up, and finaly sardines. There no way she will take her tablets i have done all the above and she just spits them out. I realy need help now. She is the most akward cat for giving tablets i dont know what too do
Jane, try putting your middle finger and thumb over Maisey's snout to grip either side of her teeth. With you other hand hold the tablet between your forefinger and thumb, then with your middle finger open her mouth with gentle pressure on her bottom teeth. Pop the tablet to the back of her throat (as far as you can), then immediately gently stroke her up and down on her throat with her head slightly inclined. She will then swallow the tablet;)

I had 10 years of giving tablets twice a day to my last cat and this method never failed:)

Edited to say........ stay relaxed or she will pick up on your tension...

dandysmom
30-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Good luck! That's the approved method of pilling a cat; I could never do it; even if I got the pill to the back of the throat after a terrible struggle it got spat out. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, or negative; hope you'll succeed.

Mags
30-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Good luck! That's the approved method of pilling a cat; I could never do it; even if I got the pill to the back of the throat after a terrible struggle it got spat out. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, or negative; hope you'll succeed.
I think the secret is to keep gently rubbing her throat until you feel her swallow;)

kado
30-09-2009, 05:20 PM
She is so clever going to try again after our tea.

calismum
30-09-2009, 08:06 PM
also - the vet might have a 'pilling gadgety thingy' - name escapes me. Quite useful too.

kado
30-09-2009, 08:10 PM
We had a roast chicken for tea. Broken some off and crushed one of the tablets and she ate it. Got some left for tonights tablet. I she will take it when the chickens cold we dont care at least she will eat it. She hasnt leaked much today either since i took her off the kitten food

calismum
30-09-2009, 08:19 PM
that sound good. Poor wee soul.

kado
30-09-2009, 08:23 PM
she is still waiting by the fridge

dandysmom
30-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I think the secret is to keep gently rubbing her throat until you feel her swallow;)

I DID that, Mags, with all of them! They can pretend to swallow but don't! (I know, I'm hopeless at pilling; outsmarted by a cat..:roll: )

kado
30-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Yes i was out smarted by a cat with attiude